• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting: Amongst the Top 5 Fielders?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Chris Harris was a tremendous fielder. He was such a good all-round cricketer.

pasag

RTDAS
Problem is Ponting's dropped a fair few in the past couple of years. No doubt an amazing fielder, but may keep him out of a top five.

Dissector

International Debutant
Colin Bland
Paul Collingwood
Neil Harvey
Gary Sobers
Viv Richards
Gus Logie
Roger Harper
Mark Waugh

in no particular order, all belong in this argument, as do many others probably.
Bob Simpson belongs to that list. I believe Benaud rates him as the best slip fielder ever and you can see why. Solkar and perhaps Azhar belong to the list as well.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Symonds is about the best I've seen - for a very big man, he is a fantastic mover with agreat pair of hands and bullet arm

However, Viv's outfielding was, as with his batting, years ahead of his time

bagapath

International Captain
leaving slip fielding aside for a moment jonty, ricky, azhar (when he hasnt taken money to miss), symonds, collingwood, mahanama, viv richards should all make it to the top 10 list. ponting is a very strong candidate for a top 5 slot too.

Zinzan

leaving slip fielding aside for a moment jonty, ricky, azhar (when he hasnt taken money to miss), symonds, collingwood, mahanama, viv richards should all make it to the top 10 list. ponting is a very strong candidate for a top 5 slot too.
Interesting that you didn't list Chris Harris in with that lot, did you see much of him?

Uppercut

AB De Villiers is considerably better than anyone playing international cricket at the moment IMO. Takes catches you'd previously assumed were impossible with alarming regularity.

Symonds was insane, I've always thought Colly to be a little overrated, drops a few more than I'd expect. Ponting's faded a bit, but at his peak he was up there.

Last edited:

Burgey

AB De Villiers is considerably better than anyone playing international cricket at the moment IMO. Takes catches you'd previously assumed were impossible with alarming regularity.

Symonds was insane, I've always thought Colly to be a little overrated, drops a few more than I'd expect. Ponting's faded a bit, but at his peak he was up there.
de Villiers reminds me of Mark Waugh the way he catches things so effortlessly.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Colin Bland
Paul Collingwood
Neil Harvey
Gary Sobers
Viv Richards
Gus Logie
Roger Harper
Mark Waugh

in no particular order, all belong in this argument, as do many others probably.
Good call on Bland - my Dad has always said he's the best he ever saw. O'Neil and Davidson also worth a shout going back to that era too.

Based on peer/spectator opinion, there's also a fair body of thinking that Learie Constantine was the greatest of all fieldsman.

Uppercut

Mark Waugh was insane. But I think of him as a slip catcher so he didn't really come to mind.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Regarding run out stats.. A couple weeks back I flicked off an email to stats guru (cricinfo) and asked them why there was no such statastic. I suggested that their needs to be a "run out" stat (direct hit) and an "assisted run out" (thrown to bowler or wicket keeper)

so if you throw the ball in and the bowler catches it and dislodge the bails both player recieve an "ARO" stat.

and if a player throws it to the stumps and its a direct hit the player recieves a "RO" stat

but i havent herd back from them...

Regarding run out stats.. A couple weeks back I flicked off an email to stats guru (cricinfo) and asked them why there was no such statastic. I suggested that their needs to be a "run out" stat (direct hit) and an "assisted run out" (thrown to bowler or wicket keeper)

so if you throw the ball in and the bowler catches it and dislodge the bails both player recieve an "ARO" stat.

and if a player throws it to the stumps and its a direct hit the player recieves a "RO" stat

but i havent herd back from them...
I have heard several commentators remark that Ponting has the most direct hits, I dont know if they keep stats different to cricinfo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The only fielders I reckon better than Ponting I've seen are Symonds and Jonty.

Thing about Symonds though is, he was almost as good, if not just as good as Ponting and Jonty in the infield, but was better in the outfield than them both. Had a bigger arm.

So I'd probably go Symonds overall.

They're all in the top 3 I've ever seen, along with Gibbs and AB Dev.

Sir Alex

Banned
I have heard several commentators remark that Ponting has the most direct hits, I dont know if they keep stats different to cricinfo.
Mighty possible. He hits stumps with remarkable accuracy and combined with the fact he's played so many games.

The only fielders I reckon better than Ponting I've seen are Symonds and Jonty.

Thing about Symonds though is, he was almost as good, if not just as good as Ponting and Jonty in the infield, but was better in the outfield than them both. Had a bigger arm.

So I'd probably go Symonds overall.

They're all in the top 3 I've ever seen, along with Gibbs and AB Dev.
It is hard to go past Symonds, he is definiately the best I have seen in ODI's.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If my life was on a player hitting the stumps on a throw in the heat of a match, I'd go Ponting over Clarke.

Clarke is obviously a brilliant fielder, but I reckon Ponting is better.

Uppercut

Clarke seems to miss loads lately. And by lately I mean for like, the past two years.