• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis - Still Underrated?

archie mac

International Coach
I believe the reputations of Barrington, and indeed Dexter, suffer because the sixties were essentially a very dull era - who talks about the ashes in 61, 62/63, 64 and 65/66? The only memorable series in which Barrington played, against Worrell's WIndies in 1963, was one where he averaged 27.50
I remember them (not that I was there), I have read at least two books on each of the series, I am particularly keen on the Benaud V Lord Ted series:)

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
The difference between Kallis and Sobers is the same difference between Kallis' batting and Lara's batting. So in other words, not much.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think his being underrated is simply by virtue of his ruthless efficiency - if he put in more of the sort of eye catching performances that appeal to the neutral then he'd probably be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Sobers, Miller, Botham, Hadlee, Imran and Kapil - as it is while, as a cricketer pure and simple he probably is the equal of them, or perhaps even better, he's well behind in the charisma stakes
Probably the best opinion that sums up why most don't remember his performances like the the all-rounders mentioned above.

I've watched a hell of a lot of Jacques Henry Kallis' cricket (Western Province days as a 19 year-old to now) and words can't describe the greatness I attach to him. Ruthless efficiency best describes him and his pure consistency is taken for granted. The way in which he turns a good ball into a run and his solid technique and mental strength are his great attributes.

But most important is that he is a quiet character and less flamboyant than many of the other great all-rounders which makes him different to others like Miller, Botham et al.

Best SA batsman in order...

1. Graeme Pollock
2. Barry Richards
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Dudley Nourse

SeamUp

International Coach
Just some stats for those to find out where it is the hardest for batsman around the world in test cricket...more specifically for this thread in South Africa.

Is top-order batting so difficult in England? | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

The best venues for fast bowlers and spinners | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

The nightmare of opening in South Africa | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

THIS JUST PROVES SOUTH AFRICA PLAYS ITS TEST MATCHES ON THE JUICIER PITCHES WHICH LEAD TO MORE RESULTS AS WELL.

Just out of interest as well:

South Africa's home run, and Gambhir's resurgence | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

archie mac

International Coach
Probably the best opinion that sums up why most don't remember his performances like the the all-rounders mentioned above.

I've watched a hell of a lot of Jacques Henry Kallis' cricket (Western Province days as a 19 year-old to now) and words can't describe the greatness I attach to him. Ruthless efficiency best describes him and his pure consistency is taken for granted. The way in which he turns a good ball into a run and his solid technique and mental strength are his great attributes.

But most important is that he is a quiet character and less flamboyant than many of the other great all-rounders which makes him different to others like Miller, Botham et al.

Best SA batsman in order...

1. Graeme Pollock
2. Barry Richards
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Dudley Nourse
Glad to see you have Nourse here; his father Dave was also a fine batsman:)

shortpitched713

International Captain
Kallis never comes up in CW cricket chat conversations, nor is he ever compared with other great players.

Wonder when CW will discover the fine lad and his cricket contributions. Clearly still underrated, especially in drafts where he never goes in early rounds.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
No matter what people say, I still can't get away from thinking of Kallis in the same sort of band as Mark Ealham, or maybe a sort of slower Tim Bresnan at a push.

Molehill

International Captain
With Stokes going past McCullum's Test 6's record, it was noticeable that sitting there in the list of Top Ten 6 hitters was Kallis. I think so many people are clouded by the cricketer Kallis ended up as rather than the one he spent most of his career being. I remember being at the Eng v SA World Cup game in 1999 and he seamed like the fastest bowler on show. He was no Ealham or Bresnan.