Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jacques Kallis - Still Underrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That's as much to do with playing regularly alongside the Donalds, Pollocks, Kluseners, Ntinis, Steyns etc. as it has his own excellence. Kallis is a bowler who has always tended to be used in a holding role and, more recently, relatively sparingly. It makes sense - he is an all-rounder, after all. A batting-all-rounder, substantially so, yes - but an all-rounder nonetheless.
    Spot on. Bit hard for Kallis to be nothing more than a holding bowler when he has always played alongside the likes AD, Polly, Ntini, Steyn et cetera. If he played for a lesser nation he would have taken 350+ test wickets by now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Spot on. Bit hard for Kallis to be nothing more than a holding bowler when he has always played alongside the likes AD, Polly, Ntini, Steyn et cetera. If he played for a lesser nation he would have taken 350+ test wickets by now.
    Or perhaps would've been injured due to sheer load of work and would be averaging much higher than what he is doing now as well.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Or perhaps would've been injured due to sheer load of work and would be averaging much higher than what he is doing now as well.
    & if my auntie had bollocks, etc.

Fact is we can only guess.

A great cricketer, but, as others have observed, one who one admires for his ruthless efficiency rather than the way he goes about his game. I think, of all the great modern day batsmen, his batting is the blandest. One remembers more the weight of runs rather than the manner of their accumulation.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    I would - Kallis has long been one of the most watchable batsmen I've seen. Cover-drive and a off-the-hips clip to die for, and a pretty damn nice pull and hook too.

And as a bowler he has an action that, yes, many have bettered, but many too have "worsed" it.
    Yeah, he plays everything very nicely but it's just a case of hitting anything that's slightly misplaced for four. That's nothing like the other extreme, which is Sehwag smashing attacks everywhere with what appears to be complete recklessness. Or Sachin's silkiness. Kallis is just a machine, and I wouldn't pay to see a machine bat.

Would I want a machine on my side though? Certainly.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I'd much rather see a machine whose technique is perfect and execution pinpoint than a bludgeoner like Sehwag or a manufactured seemingly-inpenetrable-battering-ram like Pietersen for much of his career or Gilchrist for the first half of his.

Beauty, eyes, beholders and all, of course.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I'd much rather see a machine whose technique is perfect and execution pinpoint than a bludgeoner like Sehwag or a manufactured seemingly-inpenetrable-battering-ram like Pietersen for much of his career or Gilchrist for the first half of his.

Beauty, eyes, beholders and all, of course.
    A bit of snootishness there, Richard. It takes all sorts if you ask me. That's what makes the game what it is.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

vcs
    I find Pietersen and Graeme Smith very ugly to watch, but somehow loved Gilchrist's brute force and flamboyance. Same with Sanath.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    What about Ganguly and Saeed Anwar?

I'd worship Jaques Kallis if he did not seem to exude an aura of extreme selfishness at times, again I said 'seem to' I don't know if he really was selfish. He just seems to love a 'not-out' more than any other batsman.

All that said, He's a gun of a player and among batting all-rounders I'd place him next only to Sobers.

vcs
    Putting bias to one side, definitely Saeed Anwar. He was definitely the more skilled and silkier batsman of the two. Plus, he could play on the leg-side.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Not sure what else he has to do to have that touch of brilliance.
    Bat like Lara or Tendulkar, or GSC or even Mark Waugh would be a start.

Boycott never had that touch of brilliance but was still a fine player
    You know it makes sense.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Bat like Lara or Tendulkar, or GSC or even Mark Waugh would be a start.

Boycott never had that touch of brilliance but was still a fine player
    Yeah, that's how I look at it. It's possible to be a great player (which Kallis is and Boycs must've been within shouting distance of too) without being one to stir the senses. As I said in my previous post, Kallis is a bland batsman IMHO; his innings don't seem to linger long in the memory like those of some of his rivals for the best current batsman crown do.

There's also the impression that Kallis (& Sir Geoffrey before him) gives that he plays mainly for himself. Usually his interests overlap with the team's, but occasionally they don't.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, that's how I look at it. It's possible to be a great player (which Kallis is and Boycs must've been within shouting distance of too) without being one to stir the senses. As I said in my previous post, Kallis is a bland batsman IMHO; his innings don't seem to linger long in the memory like those of some of his rivals for the best current batsman crown do.

There's also the impression that Kallis (& Sir Geoffrey before him) gives that he plays mainly for himself. Usually his interests overlap with the team's, but occasionally they don't.
    Spot on mate, another was Steve Waugh, who gave away the dashing play of 1989 to become a very consistent batsman, but as Ian Chappell said "if you have seen one innings by him, you have seen them all"

It does not mean that you would choose Mark over Steve to win you a match though, but I would certainly rather watch the younger twin any day of the week

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post

Yeah, despite the fact that he looks allot more convincing on footage then 90% of the batsman that have come before him, faces faster bowlers and has played on bowler friendly South African wickets for the majority of his career.
    Excellent post. It's not often a poster makes several points in one post without any of them being correct.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Excellent post. It's not often a poster makes several points in one post without any of them being correct.
    Like the post I quoted from you earlier or the one you just posted.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information