• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should NZ persevere with Chris Martin?

Should NZ persevere with Chris Martin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know he's probably been NZ's top test pace bowler in the last couple of years, but IMO seems to have lost 5-6 kms in the last couple of months & doesn't seem to be penetrative at all these days, not to mention that fact he's a liability with the bat & in the field.

Suppose it depends on who you'd replace him with, maybe once McKay's fit again well see it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah he's getting close to his last legs I'd say. Will probably be gone for good within the year.

morgieb

Past it and should be dropped. Only reason why he's still picked is that the other options are injured or even worse.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be gone already if there were any decent alternatives. Would have had Franklin in ahead of him myself; at least he would have scored a few runs (or hung around for a while) and his bowling couldn't be any less penetrative.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
As much as I'm loving the addition of the headband (looks exactly like a guy I play against now), have to say that I think his time is gone.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I've always been a big fan of Chris Martin, and even I'm ready to acknowledge that his efforts in this series have been poor.

At the same time:

a) Who else is there? McKay's FC stats look distinctly mediocre, Franklin is no longer a bowler, Tuffey is the least penetrative bowler in the world, none of the younger bowlers have stats that even come close to demanding selection, and the rest of the lot are all medium-pace, injury-prone journeymen.

b) His batting doesn't matter. While it's aggravating to watch him get out for a duck, when has it ever really contributed to a loss?

c) His record against Australia has always been poor, and its fair to say he's bowled without much luck this series.

So yeah, I wouldn't drop him on the basis of this series, but if he continues to churn out rubbish results on the winter tours I'd say his time has come.

Howsie

International Captain
I've always been a big fan of Chris Martin, and even I'm ready to acknowledge that his efforts in this series have been poor.

At the same time:

a) Who else is there? McKay's FC stats look distinctly mediocre, Franklin is no longer a bowler, Tuffey is the least penetrative bowler in the world, none of the younger bowlers have stats that even come close to demanding selection, and the rest of the lot are all medium-pace, injury-prone journeymen.

b) His batting doesn't matter. While it's aggravating to watch him get out for a duck, when has it ever really contributed to a loss?

c) His record against Australia has always been poor, and its fair to say he's bowled without much luck this series.
So yeah, I wouldn't drop him on the basis of this series, but if he continues to churn out rubbish results on the winter tours I'd say his time has come.
Nah, I think it's fair to say he hasn't had a chance to pick up a few tailend wickets like he usually does. He's been rubish this whole series, nothing to do with luck. If anyone's been unlucky it's been Brent Arnel.

But yes toss him away, he's finished.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Martin is due for the scrap heap - the problem is we have no strike bowlers at present. And I fear that there is next to nothing coming through. Yep, Mills back when he's healthy (although once the ball stops moving, he's very hittable in tests) but we really need someone classy climbing through the ranks very quickly.

_Ed_

I watched the third session in a bar with no sound, but the way Sky kept popping Martin's career stats up on the screen gave me a feeling they thought his days were numbered.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, still about 18 months to go, I believe. His FC record hasn't been flash this season anyway, has it? Genuine question, BTW - haven't been following that closely.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeh nah, he's a year behind the others. Probably will be round Nov next year.

The Hamish Bennett bandwagon is taking passengers for its imminent roll-out :happy:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeh nah, he's a year behind the others. Probably will be round Nov next year.

The Hamish Bennett bandwagon is taking passengers for its imminent roll-out :happy:
With a first class average of 37 those seats might be a hard sell. Although to be fair to him, he is a player of rare ineptitude with the bat (averaging 0.3 this season). He's a worthy successor to Martin in that sense at least.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
IMO, for the moment he can still contribute but they certainly need to field a couple of young quicks once in a while and try to get them ready. Not sure what kind of local talent is available to them though.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
chris has been a great workhorse for new zealand but his time is about up. time for the next generation. a fit andy mckay would be a usefull stop gap.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nah, still about 18 months to go, I believe. His FC record hasn't been flash this season anyway, has it? Genuine question, BTW - haven't been following that closely.

Top Ten Pace Bowling Wicket Takers

GW Aldridge 42 @ 20.16 SR 37.9
MD Bates 37 @ 25.40 SR 54.4
EP Thompson 34 @ 24.08 SR 49
BJ Arnel 29 @ 19.58 SR 48.6
MJ Mason 28 @ 22.78 SR 49.1
N Wagner 26 @ 36.69 SR 64.7 :(
WC McSkimming 23 @ 28.39 SR 54.2
BC Hiini 22 @ 26.68 SR 56.8
SR Wells 20 @ 23.55 SR 41.8
MJ Tugaga 20 @ 38.35 SR 52.2

Top Ten Pace Bowling Wicket Takers Last Year

DR Tuffey 27 @ 20.96
LJ Shaw 26 @ 23.92
HK Bennett 26 @ 29.26
MJ McClenaghan 26 @ 42.26
AM Ellis 23 @ 23.78
EP Thompson 23 @ 31.95
AJ McKay 23 @ 34.34
de Grandhomme 21 @ 24.19
N Wagner 21 @ 33.33
MJ Harvie 19 @ 31

Out of those guys I'd think that Aldridge, Bates, Mason, Wagner, McKay, Bennett must be close to getting a Test match run.

Can they bat better than Martin?
Aldridge 1541 @ 22.01
Bates 191 @ 22.22
MJ Mason 1194 @ 15.92
N Wagner 517 @ 16.15
AJ McKay 175 @ 11.66
HK Bennett 108 @ 5.68

Odd how the guys closer to the team Wagner, Bennett, Mckay, Arnel are all worse with the bat. Hiini must average 30 odd.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
I don't think Mason would do much better than Martin, tbh.

Really frustrated with our lack of pace bowling options at the moment. Why is it so hard to develop a young bowler who can bowl 140km/h+?