• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Headingley

Who replaces Harmison?

• Gough

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Kirby

• Silverwood

• A McGrath as a batsman and 4th seamer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bell as a batsman and 4th seamer (CMJ and Dermot Reeve)

• Kabir Ali

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Ramprakash (suggested on TMS by a listener)

• Thorpe (suggested on TMS by Graham Gooch)

• Johnson / Hoggard (if either are fit)

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Get AA an English passport and all our problems are over!

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
"He was seriously considered at the end of Atherton's stint, but the selectors overruled him."

This is the comment that mislead me...
It surprised me, but Athers autobiog mentions how they were keen to put him in, but got declined.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm Bickers...fine bowler no doubt, but I feel this is far too late, 2-3 years ago he was taking wickets at 18 a piece but now he gets picked during a season where he has never seemed anywhere near his top form with the ball. One of Bickers and Kabir Ali will replace Harmison, which shows that the selectors are ignoring the need to replace a bowler with a "like for like" player, since both Bickers and Kabir are swing bowlers replacing "Bang it in" Harmison. Whatever happened to Kirtley and Harmison being different bowlers and not competing for each other's place in the side? It doesn't matter if you swing it or bang it in, the important thing is that you take wickets. The selectors seem to have realised that.

Craig

World Traveller
Michael Holding made a great point when he was commentating with Ian Botham on the last day of the Test with Glen Chapele that they picked him when there was no point in picking him (ie form wise) now instead they should of picked him when he was in form. It is the same with Bicknell. But god luck if he plays.

I doubt Harmison will play, just because he is bowling doesnt mean he is fit enough to be.

On the subject of Darren Bicknell he is a good batsman from what his record says:

http://statserver.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/ENG/B/BICKNELL_DJ_01002363/

And LE, what do you have against Nottinghamshire?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
unfortunately LE, I doubt this day will ever come.:D
I disagree - Rik has made some extremely salient points in the past. Let's say that on this issue, he takes a lot of convincing.

Me? I like Harmison for his attitude alone. Then again, I liked Devon Malcolm for the same reason.

Batsmen aren't there to play lovely shots - they're there to jump around, get hit and generally to be made uncomfortable.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
One of Bickers and Kabir Ali will replace Harmison, which shows that the selectors are ignoring the need to replace a bowler with a "like for like" player
With both bowlers of that ilk injured, it's pretty hard to replace like for like.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harmison's had a pain-killing injection.

Apparently, the pain in is calf is known as 'referred pain' relating to a strain in his back.

See? Even his pain's radar isn't working.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But surely he has better control.
But the idea of the strike bowler (in the current England team context) is that he bowls quick and hurries batsmen.

Silverwood isn't quick enough to do that, in fact only really Harmison and Jones are.

I think if England play him, they have to bat first to allow him more time to recover.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Harmison doesn't play, they MUST play a spinner - just for the contrast.

England got into this nonsense of 4 samey medium pacers many years ago - and it cost them.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
If Harmison doesn't play, they MUST play a spinner - just for the contrast.

England got into this nonsense of 4 samey medium pacers many years ago - and it cost them.
cost them did it? change didn't seem to make a difference.:)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bazza said:
How about 5 samey medium pacers? It's different to 4 surely??
A medium pacer is like Hinds or Ealham. England are playing fast-medium/medium-fast bowlers.