• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Headingley

Who replaces Harmison?

• Gough

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Kirby

• Silverwood

• A McGrath as a batsman and 4th seamer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bell as a batsman and 4th seamer (CMJ and Dermot Reeve)

• Kabir Ali

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Ramprakash (suggested on TMS by a listener)

• Thorpe (suggested on TMS by Graham Gooch)

• Johnson / Hoggard (if either are fit)

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Get AA an English passport and all our problems are over!

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
nomatter the circumstances, a 5-for should be complimented. anderson did well, and you should be happy as he kept england in the match.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point about this test match is that nearly all the wickets fell from the same end, so it's only valid to compare Pollock, Kirtley and Anderson etc with each other - and the other comparison would be between Ntini, Harmison and Flintoff.

Regarding whether Harmison is worth a place in the side from a bowling perspective, I would take him against Flintoff any day of the week on guts alone (and that's not a criticism of how Freddie's performed in this game either).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpaceMonkey said:
I seriously hope you dont mean Agarkar (sp?) when you mean AA :)
Cos the guy is pants :)
Not how to win friends on Cricketweb!

SpaceMonkey said:
As for no disearnable gap between the divisions.
Just look at the Bonus points from the 2 Divisions.
Not one Divison 2 side has got even 35 batting points.
Yet 3 Div 1 sides have over 40! batting bonus points.
And look at the wickets in the 2 divisions - Derby and Headingley aren't renowned for being great batting wickets!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
That is what is so infuriating about the selectors consistantly picking him when there are bowlers like Kirtley who have waited around for ages and actually have the ability to keep the pressure on.
But Kirtley and Harmison are completely different types of bowler, so not really competing for the same spot.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:

As for no disearnable gap between the divisions.
Just look at the Bonus points from the 2 Divisions.
Not one Divison 2 side has got even 35 batting points.
Yet 3 Div 1 sides have over 40! batting bonus points.

This just shows that Division 1 has alot better batting (or that somehow div 1 has worse bowlers, which i doubt :P)

The alternative viewpoint, of course, is that the bowling strength is much greater in the second division and that to say 'which I doubt' doesn't get you off the hook.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, they clearly read this website.

With Johnson/Hoggard unfit, and AA not wanting to play for Man United so unable to have the government rush his passport through, Kabir has got the call.

Somewhat more bizarrely though is Martin Bicknell getting a call up at 34.

In all I'm in favour of it as it's about time he got recognition.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Ill admit the pitches at Derby and (more obviously) Headingly are poor, but thats a problem of the ECB to solve.
Really there should be no excuse for poor bowler friendly pitches in this day and age.
Headingly especially as a test venue must be feeling the pressure with Durham and soon Hampshire becoming test grounds.
Not good views considering the amount of debt they are in INCLUDING the money they get from their yearly test. God knows what trouble they would be in without it.

Im really shocked they went for Bicknall, you cant help but feel the fact he and chapple play for a 'big' county might have helped them. But with the pitch as it is i cant see them going for bicknall over Kabir if Harmison isnt fit.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Somewhat more bizarrely though is Martin Bicknell getting a call up at 34.

In all I'm in favour of it as it's about time he got recognition.
hear hear!! Id love to see MB get a few tests , he deserved more and he would definitely do a job... The best player of my lifetime not to play for England IMO...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jacques Rudolph said:
OMG! I didnt think he was actually being selected!? Oh well about 7 years too late, well done England...
He was seriously considered at the end of Atherton's stint, but the selectors overruled him.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Sorry, mistyped.

I believe that the perpetrator is Martin, not Darren. :)
Can't get out of it that easily.
The first line of the most recent Cricinfo article on Martin Bicknell (today) reads...

'England's selectors have sprung a surprise by recalling Martin Bicknell, the Surrey seamer, into their squad of 13'

blah blah.

Click on the link I posted previously, then click on the entry at the foot of the page for 'MP Bicknell' - that takes you to the player page.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
Can't get out of it that easily.
The first line of the most recent Cricinfo article on Martin Bicknell (today) reads...

'England's selectors have sprung a surprise by recalling Martin Bicknell, the Surrey seamer, into their squad of 13'

blah blah.
I know that, but some people seemed to be suggesting that it's Darren... or so it seemed to me...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"He was seriously considered at the end of Atherton's stint, but the selectors overruled him."

This is the comment that mislead me...