• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Brendon McCullum bat at number 5

Should Brendon McCullum bat number 5 for New Zealand in test cricket

• Total voters

slippy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
For New Zealand in Test cricket, i think he should, number 7 it to low down the order for a talent like him.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
One hopes that Ryder will bat at 5 again when he's not injured. This, however, brings up a problem of what to do with Guptill, who is currently there. If Vettori is going to stay at six then the only place he can go, really, is the top 3 - unless they keep Guptill at 5 and put Ryder at 3, which I don't think is entirely best for him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Who would be best at 3?
I'd probably say Ryder.

Where would he be best at?
Probably 5.

Goes in circles IMO.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
ryder at 5 vettori 6 and mcullum 7 sounds great, guptill will have to move up to 3 if he's going to retain his place in the side.
of course numbers 8,9,10 and 11 are more pressing concerns, i.e. the bowling.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Maybe we should try something a bit more 'outside the box'.

When everyone is fit:
1. M Guptill
2. J Franklin
3. D Vettori
4. B McCullum
5. R Taylor
6. J Ryder
7. Skippy (for the EWS love) or Broom, depending what pills the selectors take with their breakfast on the day
8. K Mills
9. D Tuffey
10. T Southee
11. N McCullum/B Martin/J Petal/N Beard or B Arnel/N Wagner/A McKay (subject to batting position change)
:ph34r:

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
This with or without also taking glove duties in tests?

Definitely if someone like Hopkins was keeping.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Maybe we should try something a bit more 'outside the box'.

When everyone is fit:
1. M Guptill
2. J Franklin
3. D Vettori
4. B McCullum
5. R Taylor
6. J Ryder
7. Skippy (for the EWS love) or Broom, depending what pills the selectors take with their breakfast on the day
8. K Mills
9. D Tuffey
10. T Southee
11. N McCullum/B Martin/J Petal/N Beard or B Arnel/N Wagner/A McKay (subject to batting position change)
:ph34r:
Seven there would seem to be the perfect place to give Williamson a game. Bowl some part-time off-spin and hopefully contribute with the bat.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
McIntosh and Watling have both shown enough against Australia to persevere with. McCullum at 5 is ludacris because our middle order is full of talent as apposed to the top. Therefore Williamson should bat 3 on the next tour as thats where he bats for ND and I dont see Vettori relinquishing his numbert 6 spot. Ryder should slot back into 5 which leaves Guptill roaming for the inevitable injury. With full strength I would play Guppy ahead of McIntosh. An allrounder is needed at eight which is Franklin of N. McCullum depending on pitch. With Southee, Arnel retaining their spots after honest enough efforts against Australia. perhaps Andy McKay as the third seamer otherwise Tuffey:

McIntosh / Guptill
Watling
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Vettori
McCullum
Franklin / N.McCullum
Southee
Arnel
McKay / Tuffey (bat 9)

If I had my way Vettori would bat 8, this would leave this team which wont happen.

McIntosh
Watling
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Guptill
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
Arnel
McKay