12 30.00%
  • Sachin,SMG,Miandad,Jayawardene and Dravid are all better

8 20.00%
  • Sehwag,Yousuf and Sangakkara are already better

7 17.50%
  • Inzamam just about makes the top 10 Asian batsmen

12 30.00%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does Inzamam rank among Asia's batting greats?

Banned

Where does Inzamam rank among Asia's batting greats?

I saw someone bring up Inzamam's name in the 2nd greatest after Bradman thread. While I think he is a very good bat, I think Asia itself has produced 5 better bats easily, arguably more. So how many Asian batsmen are better than Inzamam?Most people would agree that Sachin,Gavaskar,Miandad,Dravid and Jayawardene are superior batsmen or is Inzamam better than them?IMO these 5 are better than Inzamam and Sehwag,Sangakkara and Yousuf have a good chance to topple Inzamam too before they retire..

Zaheer Abbas? You forgot him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Zaheer Abbas? You forgot him.
    Oops he definitely is a shot. IMO Sachin,Gavaskar,Miandad,Dravid,Jayawardene and Sangakkara are all better. Yousuf,Sehwag,Zaheer Abbas,Aravinda and VVS are arguably better.

Personally I think you're spot on with the top 4 - Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Dravid and Miandad. I'm not sure I would rate Jayawardene ahead of Inzy though - IMO both men occupy a place on the rung below the top 4, along with a number of others including Merchant, Hanif, Zaheer Abbas, Sehwag and Sangakkara. Just fractionally behind them I would then have a third tier which included the likes of Hazare, Viswanath, Aravinda, MoYo and Younis Khan.

Just my opinion of course, and I'm prepared to admit that on another day or with more thinking/analysis there's every chance of a fair bit of interchange between those 2nd and 3rd tiers.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Personally I think you're spot on with the top 4 - Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Dravid and Miandad. I'm not sure I would rate Jayawardene ahead of Inzy though - IMO both men occupy a place on the rung below the top 4, along with a number of others including Merchant, Hanif, Zaheer Abbas, Sehwag and Sangakkara. Just fractionally behind them I would then have a third tier which included the likes of Hazare, Viswanath, Aravinda, MoYo and Younis Khan.

Just my opinion of course, and I'm prepared to admit that on another day or with more thinking/analysis there's every chance of a fair bit of interchange between those 2nd and 3rd tiers.
    This. Don't believe Jayawardene is better than Inzi.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I would agree with most of this. Personally, I only have Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Miandad, and Dravid ahead of Inzi. Some of the names mentioned in the poll may or may not pass Inzi by the time they retire, but for now thatís the way I rank them.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    I saw someone bring up Inzamam's name in the 2nd greatest after Bradman thread. While I think he is a very good bat, I think Asia itself has produced 5 better bats easily, arguably more. So how many Asian batsmen are better than Inzamam?Most people would agree that Sachin,Gavaskar,Miandad,Dravid and Jayawardene are superior batsmen or is Inzamam better than them?IMO these 5 are better than Inzamam and Sehwag,Sangakkara and Yousuf have a good chance to topple Inzamam too before they retire..
    Sangakkara easily tops Jayawardane
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

U19 Captain
    I dont think any Indian would agree to Mahela or Sangakarra being better than Inzi.

I think its safe to say that Tendulkar, Gavaskar and Miandad are the only ones ahead of Inzamam. Despites Yousufs stellar record, Inzamam easily was a better batsmen than him.

Its incredible how Pakistan always won when Inzamam scored, almost all his centuries resulted in Pakistan wins, its a remarkable stat.

I think hes considered a true great within Pakistani circles.

Here is an interview from arguably the fastest bowler ever talking about Inzamam and Lara. Mohammad Zahid.

PakPassion.Net: Tell us about that match and dismissing Brian Lara.

Mohammad Zahid: The night before the game I had a very high fever, the doctor spent the whole night trying to sweat the fever out of me. I stayed awake wrapped up in several blankets and continuously drinking cups of coffee all night long. I barely got any sleep and the doctor advised me against playing in the game. However Saeed Anwar and Waqar were unavailable for that game and Aamer Sohail had fallen and hurt his head so he couldnt play either. We were virtually down to 10 men and were struggling to field XI players. Wasim Akram called me and told me to get on the coach and come down to the ground to make up the numbers, so I went to the ground. When I got there Wasim took me to one side and said (he'd never spoken to me like this before or since) that to be a big player you have to play though pain and sadness. He said that great players make sacrifices for the team. As soon as he had said that I told him that I was ready to play the game.

PakPassion.Net: I wish we had a few more players like that.

Mohammad Zahid: Thank you. In that game Lara was plumb lbw early on but it wasn't given and that made me really angry. My battle had begun, I had to take his wicket. He played a few overs and kept get beaten, then in the over where I took his wicket he was beaten on every ball before I took his wicket. I dont know if Lara was having a bad day or I was having a great day but he really did look clueless against me that day. It was after that match that he said I was the fastest bowler he'd ever seen.

PakPassion.Net: We've all heard the stories of Inzamam thrashing Waqar and Wasim in the nets, when they were both at their prime. How did Inzi handle Zahid in his prime?

Mohammad Zahid: Inzamam is a different story altogether, he was always too good. I never saw him impressed with what I did, it didnt matter how fast I was bowling to him he just wasn't bothered by it. It didn't matter if I was bowling to him in the nets or in a match, the result was the same. It used to amaze me that even when I was bowling at full tilt and holding nothing back, Inzi would still be playing me quite comfortably. I've never seen another batsman who has so much time when playing the ball.

PakPassion.Net: Who was the most difficult international batsman you bowled to?

Mohammad Zahid: In my prime I've bowled to Lara, Taylor, Sachin, the Waughs etc but I didn't feel that I was struggling against any of them. Any time I struggled in a game it was because of my own fitness or rhythm. But when I lost my speed after returning from injuries, I began to feel human. I came to the realization that without my speed I would have to learn other ways with which to take wickets, it wasn't an easy fact to accept.
    Last edited by mohammad16; 25-03-2010 at 09:57 AM.

U19 Captain
    Dravid is also ahead of Inzi and there is a strong case for Aravinda, how can you even mention Sanga and Mahela ahead of the best batsmen Srilanka has ever produced?

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    I would rate Inzi in the top 5 for sure.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Miandad, Hanif, Dravid, SRT, Gavaskar are better than Inzi IMO, so he's no.6 in my rankings. Sanga and Sehwag might beat him by the time they retire. Sanga>Mahela,De silva IMO.

All that said, Inzi is one of my most favourite batsmen who had all the time in the world to play extremely fast bowling. Pressure also seems to bring the best out of him. Definite ATG.

U19 Debutant
    how easily people forget arvinda desilva

He's better than most bats IMO. Tendy, Gavaskar, Miandad are definetly better, and there's a few others too.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SaeedAnwar View Post
    how easily people forget arvinda desilva
    r u in love with him you practically mention him in every thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    r u in love with him you practically mention him in every thread
    No need for stuff like that DingDong.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information