• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Inzamam rank among Asia's batting greats?

Where does Inzamam stand among Asian batting greats

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All I can say is that there are certain things statistics cannot convey. I simply do not get how you can assume that all subcontinent pitches are flat and scoring on them requires no ability at all. Scoring in extreme turners is as much a test for batsmen as scoring on fast bouncy tracks.

Sehwag/Sangakkara et al. are still in the midst of their careers and they might/might not be better than Inzi by the end of their careers, It is unfair to criminally underrate such a legend of the game. Sehwag MIGHT be better than Miandad by the time he retires, but atm he is simply not in the same level as JM. Miandad was a special player who along with Chappel, Gavaskar & Richards were the best players of their time. He is highly regarded by the pacers of the era and Holding who rated Gavaskar to be a 'fair-weather batsman' rates Miandad to be the best he bowled to.

All that said, I'm a big big fan of Sehwag and believe that he will be an all-time great by the time he retires, but telling he is better than Miandad and Inzi already is pushing it IMO.

My Rankings:-
1.SRT
2.SMG
3.JM
4.HM
5.RD
6.IUH
Yeah, I also read that bit in Holding's autobiography. Found it a bit surprising considering Gavaskar and Miandad's contrasting records against WI.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, I also read that bit in Holding's autobiography. Found it a bit surprising considering Gavaskar and Miandad's contrasting records against WI.
So i see , holding speaks a lot from his a*se. He never bowled to Miandad in test and in ODI Gavaskar has a far better record against him than Miandad.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

OR was it because it is hard for him to acknowledge the truth . He also said that lara was a better batsman than sachin and we all know what is the truth.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Zaheer Abbas has been mentioned enough in this thread.

I would have him in the top 5 asian batsmen for sure.And i would have dravid certainly ahead of Inzamam in tests,though In ODi's i would take Inzi.

For me -

1)Sachin Tendulkar
2)Sunil Gavaskar
3)Javed Miandad
4)Rahul Dravid
5)Zaheer Abbas

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
All I can say is that there are certain things statistics cannot convey. I simply do not get how you can assume that all subcontinent pitches are flat and scoring on them requires no ability at all. Scoring in extreme turners is as much a test for batsmen as scoring on fast bouncy tracks.

Sehwag/Sangakkara et al. are still in the midst of their careers and they might/might not be better than Inzi by the end of their careers, It is unfair to criminally underrate such a legend of the game. Sehwag MIGHT be better than Miandad by the time he retires, but atm he is simply not in the same level as JM. Miandad was a special player who along with Chappel, Gavaskar & Richards were the best players of their time. He is highly regarded by the pacers of the era and Holding who rated Gavaskar to be a 'fair-weather batsman' rates Miandad to be the best he bowled to.

All that said, I'm a big big fan of Sehwag and believe that he will be an all-time great by the time he retires, but telling he is better than Miandad and Inzi already is pushing it IMO.

My Rankings:-
1.SRT
2.SMG
3.JM
4.HM
5.RD
6.IUH
Awesome post. :clapping:

slowfinger

International Debutant
No I think Inzi was great and better than Jaya and tbh more important than Dravid was for Pakistan so I would put him in the second choice, defo in top 5.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Dravid and Miandad are the only alltime great Asian batsman.

In order

1. Tendulkar
2. Gavaskar
3. Miandad
4. Dravid
5. Sangakkara
6. Laxman
7. Sehwag
8. de Silva
9. Jayawardene
10. Inzamam

Last edited:

Zinzan

Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Dravid and Miandad are the only alltime great Asian batsman.

In order

1. Tendulkar
2. Gavaskar
3. Miandad
4. Dravid
5. Sangakkara
6. Sehwag
7. de Silva
8. Jayawardene
9. Inzamam
10. Mohammad Yousuf
Agree in the main, but would have Miandad ahead of Gavaskar & would like to give Zaheer Abbas an honorary mention ( as he was brilliant against everyone except New Zealand for some strange reason), but your top 10 is about right.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
How anyone can rate Laxman, Sanga or Mahela above Inzamam is beyond absurd. I wouldnt even put Sehwag ahead of Inzamam just yet, although I suspect he will be ahead of him by the time his careers finished with.

This isnt just based on tests, it also factors in the ODIs. Inzamams performance in the 1992 world cup alone stands for something. There was a Javed Miandad like calm and comfort about him, so long as he was at the crease and you mostly felt sure he wouldnt give his wicket away, he would guide Pakistan through.

Inzamam is HANDS down one of the best under pressure ODI players of all time. He has won Pakistan countless ODIs out of seemingly impossible and difficult situations. A complete player, who underachieved yet still left a lot of great memories.

Stats are so overrated, Mohammad Yousuf has a better record in both tests and ODIs yet no one in Pakistan would argue he has been better than Inzi.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Please explain me how is Haneef Mohammed a better bat than VVS LAXMAN, when all
Mcgrath,warne , steve waugh rate him so highly
Hanif was the first great Pakistani batsman and he was single-handedly responsible for transforming the country into one of cricket-lovers. His 337 is arguably the best display of defense of all-time and his 499 was the highest first-class score ever for 40-odd years till Lara broke it. He averaged close to 45 in any era in which extremely few people could achieve it and what makes it stand out even more is he was in a team with no other Batsman of suitable caliber. Imo, The man is a far far greater batsman than VVS, but it still remains my opinion. You are free to disagree. :)

Teja.

Global Moderator
So i see , holding speaks a lot from his a*se. He never bowled to Miandad in test and in ODI Gavaskar has a far better record against him than Miandad.

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

OR was it because it is hard for him to acknowledge the truth . He also said that lara was a better batsman than sachin and we all know what is the truth.
In comparisons like Lara and SRT or Miandad and Gavaskar, people always tend to differ. Both batsman are absolutely rad ones, and for every person who holds SRT over Lara there will be another person who will hold Lara over SRT. The same applies to Miandad and Gavaskar. There is absolutely nothing wrong in rating one over the other.

How anyone can rate Laxman, Sanga or Mahela above Inzamam is beyond absurd. I wouldnt even put Sehwag ahead of Inzamam just yet, although I suspect he will be ahead of him by the time his careers finished with.

This isnt just based on tests, it also factors in the ODIs.

Stats are so overrated, Mohammad Yousuf has a better record in both tests and ODIs yet no one in Pakistan would argue he has been better than Inzi.
Over the top that.The way you are talking it seems that Laxman,Sanga and Mahela are light years behind Inzamam.Taking just tests into consideration,those 3 have more than a fair argument for being better than Inzamam as does Sehwag.Yousuf is not rated higher than Inzamam by most because he averages in the 20s against Australia,South Africa and Sri Lanka.If he tonks a couple of centuries in Australia and South Africa, the perception will change.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hanif was the first great Pakistani batsman and he was single-handedly responsible for transforming the country into one of cricket-lovers. His 337 is arguably the best display of defense of all-time and his 499 was the highest first-class score ever for 40-odd years till Lara broke it. He averaged close to 45 in any era in which extremely few people could achieve it and what makes it stand out even more is he was in a team with no other Batsman of suitable caliber. Imo, The man is a far far greater batsman than VVS, but it still remains my opinion. You are free to disagree. :)
Hate to say it but polly umirgar of India had a much better average than him.Even in his era there were far better player than him.

And going by your logic sehwag should be the greatest batsman of all time.
Please don't use lahori logic like (Inzamam was a big match player and Abdul kadir was better than shane warne) with me.
Check the stats during hanif mohammed's era.

Zinzan

Hate to say it but polly umirgar of India had a much better average than him.Even in his era there were far better player than him.

Please don't use lahori logic like (Inzamam was a big match player and Abdul kadir was better than shane warne) with me.

Man, Ken Barrington was impressive in that period :-O

Teja.

Global Moderator

Only away averages count? Please read the first part of my initial post.

I already told you, Hanif's brilliance is not covered fully by statistics, It is MY opinion that he is an all-time-great, The ICC recognized it and he is a hall-of-famer. I don't need your qualification over his talent to admire Hanif, thank you very much.

Yes, Sobers, Kanhai, Cowdrey et al. might have been better than him but none of them are Asian and they are all legends in their own right. Umrigar's average is slightly ahead of Hanif's even though he played considerably fewer matches, that proves nothing.

What is a Lahori logic? For the record, I belong to Chennai, I support India and hold Sehwag in high regard, but Imran Khan is still my most favourite player ever. Please stop using the condescending tone in your posts, especially while referring to regions/countries.

I'll say it again. It is MY opinion that Hanif is an all-time great, enough people believe the same. I don't need to prove that he is better or worse compared to a Laxman or a Sehwag.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Only away averages count? Please read the first part of my initial post.

I already told you, Hanif's brilliance is not covered fully by statistics, It is MY opinion that he is an all-time-great, The ICC recognized it and he is a hall-of-famer. I don't need your qualification over his talent to admire Hanif, thank you very much.

Yes, Sobers, Kanhai, Cowdrey et al. might have been better than him but none of them are Asian and they are all legends in their own right. Umrigar's average is slightly ahead of Hanif's even though he played considerably fewer matches, that proves nothing.

What is a Lahori logic? For the record, I belong to Chennai, I support India and hold Sehwag in high regard, but Imran Khan is still my most favourite player ever. Please stop using the condescending tone in your posts, especially while referring to regions/countries.

I'll say it again. It is MY opinion that Hanif is an all-time great, enough people believe the same. I don't need to prove that he is better or worse compared to a Laxman or a Sehwag.
No, first was away average and second was career average. Similarly stats can't prove how useful batsman laxman is. . Many players who has played with him agree.
The lahori logic is some of the useless statement given by pakistani poster without any stats backing.
This is one of those.
Cricinfo - Blogs - Pak Spin - Qadir was the best of the lot