Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Bounce

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506

    Bounce

    Is it the most important skill for both seamer and spinner?

    Discuss.

  2. #2
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,480
    It's the most important aspect in determining the difference between a good pitch and a bad pitch.

    I'm a big fan of seamers who get good bounce but it's not always clear cut. I've heard people criticise inswing bowlers like Sidebottom and Bracken for getting too much bounce and negating the lbw. I didn't overly agree, but it's worth considering.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  3. #3
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,665
    The bounce should be unexpected by the batsman and reproducible. If a bowler can produce the ball that bounces a bit more (or keeps a bit low) with the same bowling action it would be a one of the greatest varieties to have.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

    I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

  4. #4
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    635
    Variable bounce is just as important as swing.

    There are two kind of shots, horizontal bat shots and verticle ones.

    For batsmen who are playing horizontal bat shots, variable bounce is just as if they are facing a ball that is swinging up and down instead of sideways, but the bat is sideways anyways trying to hook or pull, so the bounce plays a huge role in this respect.


  5. #5
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,178
    If there was no variable bounce, Kumble wouldn't have played international cricket for long.

  6. #6
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Why is it then that the pitches with variable bounce are always considered "bad" for cricket?

    IMO consistent bounce is not as beneficial for fast or spin bowling, once a good batsman knows it then its quite useless because the element of surprise is gone.

    Bowling has become all about deception and variable bounce brings the surprise package which is always going to be a major factor in fast and spin bowling.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

  7. #7
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Why is it then that the pitches with variable bounce are always considered "bad" for cricket?

    IMO consistent bounce is not as beneficial for fast or spin bowling, once a good batsman knows it then its quite useless because the element of surprise is gone.

    Bowling has become all about deception and variable bounce brings the surprise package which is always going to be a major factor in fast and spin bowling.
    Variable bounce is bad, just as cracks are, you never know what the balls going to do as it pitches and that is not a good surface to play on as players can seriously get hurt

    good bouncy wickets which offer consistence bounce are still tough to play on, but if you are good enough, you can deal with the bounce and it allows you to also play powerful shots off the backfoot.

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Level with Gooch on 8,900
    Posts
    8,899
    A bouncy quick wicket is a terrific thing, it makes for good cricket. Everyone's in the game: batsmen, quicks, and spinners (as a long-suffering legspinner there's nothing I'd rather see than a quick bouncy pitch).

  9. #9
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,178
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16 View Post
    Variable bounce is bad, just as cracks are, you never know what the balls going to do as it pitches and that is not a good surface to play on as players can seriously get hurt

    good bouncy wickets which offer consistence bounce are still tough to play on, but if you are good enough, you can deal with the bounce and it allows you to also play powerful shots off the backfoot.
    People shouldn't play sport if they don't like getting hurt. At least, thats what we tell the opponent after making a nasty tackle in soccer.
    Last edited by Shri; 25-03-2010 at 02:53 PM.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,066
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    If there was no variable bounce, Kumble wouldn't have played international cricket for long.
    DWTA. He showed that on two tours to OZ playing on pitches so flat, several aircraft were sighted on short final for them.

    Anyway, there are many bowlers playing at lower levels of the game who can swing the ball miles but without bounce, they just don't get out really top batters. It just makes a bowler that much tougher to play (and that much easier if the pitch negates them). Essential for any pace bowler to learn to hit the seam.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  11. #11
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    People shouldn't play sport if they don't like getting hurt. At least, thats what we tell the opponent after making a nasty tackle in soccer.
    Barcelona dont make the nasty tackles most english clubs do, yet they are the best in the game and the most beautiful to watch. If you want to see people getting hurt, watch MMA.

  12. #12
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,178
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16 View Post
    Barcelona dont make the nasty tackles most english clubs do, yet they are the best in the game and the most beautiful to watch. If you want to see people getting hurt, watch MMA.
    Ever heard of rugby? Ever heard of injuries suffered while playing soccer? Did I say that I like to see people get hurt? The fact is, cricketers are a bunch of sissies compared to other sportsmen.

  13. #13
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    DWTA. He showed that on two tours to OZ playing on pitches so flat, several aircraft were sighted on short final for them.

    Anyway, there are many bowlers playing at lower levels of the game who can swing the ball miles but without bounce, they just don't get out really top batters. It just makes a bowler that much tougher to play (and that much easier if the pitch negates them). Essential for any pace bowler to learn to hit the seam.
    Kumble wasn't a huge turner of the ball, he was a master of manipulating invariable bounce if the pitch offered assistance to him. Compare his record in Delhi to his record in other grounds. He looked like he worked hard to get wickets on flat pitches, bowl him in a pitch with uneven bounce and he was better than any bowler in the world.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,066
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Kumble wasn't a huge turner of the ball, he was a master of manipulating invariable bounce if the pitch offered assistance to him. Compare his record in Delhi to his record in other grounds. He looked like he worked hard to get wickets on flat pitches, bowl him in a pitch with uneven bounce and he was better than any bowler in the world.
    Hang on, that's not what you said. You said if it wasn't for variable bounce he wouldn't have played international cricket for long. Yes he was unplayable on uneven pitches and less dangerous on flat pitches but he still found a way to take Test wickets. Don't believe for a second if he played on flatter pitches, he'd have had a shorter career. You don't take 500+ Test wickets by being anything other than a quality bowler.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,254
    Always reckon it's a different game when a bowler gets good bounce. Great challenge as a batsman (even at my moderate level) when you have contrasting bounce from the bowlers at either end.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WI all time XI vs Aus all time XI
    By stephen in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 08:11 PM
  2. Can South Africa bounce back and win the ODI Series?
    By satheeshv37 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-01-2009, 04:07 AM
  3. Getting Bounce
    By unccricket in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 05:02 PM
  4. One Hand One Bounce
    By Lach in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13-06-2002, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •