• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bounce

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's the most important aspect in determining the difference between a good pitch and a bad pitch.

I'm a big fan of seamers who get good bounce but it's not always clear cut. I've heard people criticise inswing bowlers like Sidebottom and Bracken for getting too much bounce and negating the lbw. I didn't overly agree, but it's worth considering.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The bounce should be unexpected by the batsman and reproducible. If a bowler can produce the ball that bounces a bit more (or keeps a bit low) with the same bowling action it would be a one of the greatest varieties to have.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Variable bounce is just as important as swing.

There are two kind of shots, horizontal bat shots and verticle ones.

For batsmen who are playing horizontal bat shots, variable bounce is just as if they are facing a ball that is swinging up and down instead of sideways, but the bat is sideways anyways trying to hook or pull, so the bounce plays a huge role in this respect.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If there was no variable bounce, Kumble wouldn't have played international cricket for long.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Why is it then that the pitches with variable bounce are always considered "bad" for cricket?

IMO consistent bounce is not as beneficial for fast or spin bowling, once a good batsman knows it then its quite useless because the element of surprise is gone.

Bowling has become all about deception and variable bounce brings the surprise package which is always going to be a major factor in fast and spin bowling.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Why is it then that the pitches with variable bounce are always considered "bad" for cricket?

IMO consistent bounce is not as beneficial for fast or spin bowling, once a good batsman knows it then its quite useless because the element of surprise is gone.

Bowling has become all about deception and variable bounce brings the surprise package which is always going to be a major factor in fast and spin bowling.
Variable bounce is bad, just as cracks are, you never know what the balls going to do as it pitches and that is not a good surface to play on as players can seriously get hurt

good bouncy wickets which offer consistence bounce are still tough to play on, but if you are good enough, you can deal with the bounce and it allows you to also play powerful shots off the backfoot.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
A bouncy quick wicket is a terrific thing, it makes for good cricket. Everyone's in the game: batsmen, quicks, and spinners (as a long-suffering legspinner there's nothing I'd rather see than a quick bouncy pitch).

Shri

Mr. Glass
Variable bounce is bad, just as cracks are, you never know what the balls going to do as it pitches and that is not a good surface to play on as players can seriously get hurt

good bouncy wickets which offer consistence bounce are still tough to play on, but if you are good enough, you can deal with the bounce and it allows you to also play powerful shots off the backfoot.
People shouldn't play sport if they don't like getting hurt. At least, thats what we tell the opponent after making a nasty tackle in soccer.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

If there was no variable bounce, Kumble wouldn't have played international cricket for long.
DWTA. He showed that on two tours to OZ playing on pitches so flat, several aircraft were sighted on short final for them.

Anyway, there are many bowlers playing at lower levels of the game who can swing the ball miles but without bounce, they just don't get out really top batters. It just makes a bowler that much tougher to play (and that much easier if the pitch negates them). Essential for any pace bowler to learn to hit the seam.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
People shouldn't play sport if they don't like getting hurt. At least, thats what we tell the opponent after making a nasty tackle in soccer.
Barcelona dont make the nasty tackles most english clubs do, yet they are the best in the game and the most beautiful to watch. If you want to see people getting hurt, watch MMA.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Barcelona dont make the nasty tackles most english clubs do, yet they are the best in the game and the most beautiful to watch. If you want to see people getting hurt, watch MMA.
Ever heard of rugby? Ever heard of injuries suffered while playing soccer? Did I say that I like to see people get hurt? The fact is, cricketers are a bunch of sissies compared to other sportsmen.

Shri

Mr. Glass
DWTA. He showed that on two tours to OZ playing on pitches so flat, several aircraft were sighted on short final for them.

Anyway, there are many bowlers playing at lower levels of the game who can swing the ball miles but without bounce, they just don't get out really top batters. It just makes a bowler that much tougher to play (and that much easier if the pitch negates them). Essential for any pace bowler to learn to hit the seam.
Kumble wasn't a huge turner of the ball, he was a master of manipulating invariable bounce if the pitch offered assistance to him. Compare his record in Delhi to his record in other grounds. He looked like he worked hard to get wickets on flat pitches, bowl him in a pitch with uneven bounce and he was better than any bowler in the world.

Top_Cat

Kumble wasn't a huge turner of the ball, he was a master of manipulating invariable bounce if the pitch offered assistance to him. Compare his record in Delhi to his record in other grounds. He looked like he worked hard to get wickets on flat pitches, bowl him in a pitch with uneven bounce and he was better than any bowler in the world.
Hang on, that's not what you said. You said if it wasn't for variable bounce he wouldn't have played international cricket for long. Yes he was unplayable on uneven pitches and less dangerous on flat pitches but he still found a way to take Test wickets. Don't believe for a second if he played on flatter pitches, he'd have had a shorter career. You don't take 500+ Test wickets by being anything other than a quality bowler.

Burgey

Always reckon it's a different game when a bowler gets good bounce. Great challenge as a batsman (even at my moderate level) when you have contrasting bounce from the bowlers at either end.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Hang on, that's not what you said. You said if it wasn't for variable bounce he wouldn't have played international cricket for long. Yes he was unplayable on uneven pitches and less dangerous on flat pitches but he still found a way to take Test wickets. Don't believe for a second if he played on flatter pitches, he'd have had a shorter career. You don't take 500+ Test wickets by being anything other than a quality bowler.
Yeah rage posted that bit when my mouse went funny and selected a large part of my post and I erased the said part.:p

I did not have confidence in Kumble when he bowled in the first innings of a test match at any part of his career. Compare that to the second innings of a test match when the pitch has deteriorated, he looked like picking wickets every ball. That was why I said what I said previously.

Uppercut

Are they?

I hate low bounce. Variable bounce is fine. It doesn't make for fantastic cricket to watch but there's a competitive contest between bat and ball. Low bounce is just, ugh.

Faisal1985

Ever heard of rugby? Ever heard of injuries suffered while playing soccer? Did I say that I like to see people get hurt? The fact is, cricketers are a bunch of sissies compared to other sportsmen.
I agree that cricketers are sissies but at the same time i think its important to distinguish between a contact sport and a sport like Cricket/Baseball/Volleyball/Tennis/Badminton which can't be contact sports.

But you are right, batsmen should be fearless.

Faisal1985

Are they?

I hate low bounce. Variable bounce is fine. It doesn't make for fantastic cricket to watch but there's a competitive contest between bat and ball. Low bounce is just, ugh.
Most of the time i have heard that oh the wicket has too much variable bounce and that is "dangerous"....i don't understand why is it becoming so biased...?

I still enjoy a good bouncer or a ripping yorker shattering stumps more then i enjoy a six or a boundary...that's just me...