Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bounce

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Hang on, that's not what you said. You said if it wasn't for variable bounce he wouldn't have played international cricket for long. Yes he was unplayable on uneven pitches and less dangerous on flat pitches but he still found a way to take Test wickets. Don't believe for a second if he played on flatter pitches, he'd have had a shorter career. You don't take 500+ Test wickets by being anything other than a quality bowler.
    Yeah rage posted that bit when my mouse went funny and selected a large part of my post and I erased the said part.

I did not have confidence in Kumble when he bowled in the first innings of a test match at any part of his career. Compare that to the second innings of a test match when the pitch has deteriorated, he looked like picking wickets every ball. That was why I said what I said previously.
    I am proud of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Why is it then that the pitches with variable bounce are always considered "bad" for cricket?
    Are they?

I hate low bounce. Variable bounce is fine. It doesn't make for fantastic cricket to watch but there's a competitive contest between bat and ball. Low bounce is just, ugh.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Ever heard of rugby? Ever heard of injuries suffered while playing soccer? Did I say that I like to see people get hurt? The fact is, cricketers are a bunch of sissies compared to other sportsmen.
    I agree that cricketers are sissies but at the same time i think its important to distinguish between a contact sport and a sport like Cricket/Baseball/Volleyball/Tennis/Badminton which can't be contact sports.

But you are right, batsmen should be fearless.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Are they?

I hate low bounce. Variable bounce is fine. It doesn't make for fantastic cricket to watch but there's a competitive contest between bat and ball. Low bounce is just, ugh.
    Most of the time i have heard that oh the wicket has too much variable bounce and that is "dangerous"....i don't understand why is it becoming so biased...?

I still enjoy a good bouncer or a ripping yorker shattering stumps more then i enjoy a six or a boundary...that's just me...

International Debutant slowfinger's Avatar
    I love leggies doing a sort of googly-bouncer that catches the edge and gets caught
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Ideally, you always prefer a pitch with "good bounce" - ie, up the higher end of the spectrum. Bounce however isn't an on-off thing - you don't get "high bounce" and "low bounce" - it's a continuum. Personally I like a bouncy seamer, I like a bouncy turner, but I'd prefer have a low slow seamer than a bouncy non-seamer, as both bowler and spectator.

As for inconsistent or true bounce - well, personally I never want to see too many decks with uneven bounce, but it's a great shame if you don't get any. As a bowler, uneven bounce - which there is simply no way of producing with your own efforts, it depends entirely on the deck - is a great weapon to have, especially if you can bowl straight.

And as far as bounce under the control of the bowler rather than the deck is concerned - ie, the height that the bowler delivers from - well, clearly the more bounce you get the more potent any away-swing is going to be, and potentially the less potent any inswing is going to be. High bounce also has the advantage, however, of putting batsmen in two minds, meaning any sideways movement is more likely to make an impact as the batsman is less confident committing to the front-foot.

Again on a personal level, as a bowler who gets precious little bounce from my own short frame, the rare occasion you get to bowl on a deck with real bounce is a godsend. Completely transforms the game and is in fact very exciting.
    Fred Tetanus and Likes Given like this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! honestbharani's Avatar
    No surprise that the two of the best test knocks I have seen were at Perth against a good to great Aussie fast bowling line up on a wicket with a LOT of pace and bounce.. No surprises that the hundreds were scored by Sachin and Lara...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Given that a bouncy, seaming deck with quality seam and\or swing bowlers bowling is about as challenging as batting gets, a chanceless century (even if not all that big a one) on such a deck is always going to be a career highlight for even the best batsmen.

In short, thanks for stating the obvious.
    Fred Tetanus and Likes Given like this.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Agree with T_C, if you're a bowler who can hit the seam and get good bounce then you're always an asset to the team. It's very important. Gives the batsman less time to play their shots, especially when it's combined with sideways movement (ala McGrath).
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information