• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bounce

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ideally, you always prefer a pitch with "good bounce" - ie, up the higher end of the spectrum. Bounce however isn't an on-off thing - you don't get "high bounce" and "low bounce" - it's a continuum. Personally I like a bouncy seamer, I like a bouncy turner, but I'd prefer have a low slow seamer than a bouncy non-seamer, as both bowler and spectator.

As for inconsistent or true bounce - well, personally I never want to see too many decks with uneven bounce, but it's a great shame if you don't get any. As a bowler, uneven bounce - which there is simply no way of producing with your own efforts, it depends entirely on the deck - is a great weapon to have, especially if you can bowl straight.

And as far as bounce under the control of the bowler rather than the deck is concerned - ie, the height that the bowler delivers from - well, clearly the more bounce you get the more potent any away-swing is going to be, and potentially the less potent any inswing is going to be. High bounce also has the advantage, however, of putting batsmen in two minds, meaning any sideways movement is more likely to make an impact as the batsman is less confident committing to the front-foot.

Again on a personal level, as a bowler who gets precious little bounce from my own short frame, the rare occasion you get to bowl on a deck with real bounce is a godsend. Completely transforms the game and is in fact very exciting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No surprise that the two of the best test knocks I have seen were at Perth against a good to great Aussie fast bowling line up on a wicket with a LOT of pace and bounce.. No surprises that the hundreds were scored by Sachin and Lara...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given that a bouncy, seaming deck with quality seam and\or swing bowlers bowling is about as challenging as batting gets, a chanceless century (even if not all that big a one) on such a deck is always going to be a career highlight for even the best batsmen.

In short, thanks for stating the obvious. :p

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with T_C, if you're a bowler who can hit the seam and get good bounce then you're always an asset to the team. It's very important. Gives the batsman less time to play their shots, especially when it's combined with sideways movement (ala McGrath).