Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: England Since 1990 XI

England Since 1990 XI

Just thought I'd throw an England XI since roughly I started watching the game.

1. Gooch
    2. Trescothick
    3. Vaughan
    4. Pieterson
    5. Thorpe
    6. Stewart
    7. Flintoff
    8. Swann
    9. Gough
    10. Caddick
    11. Hoggard

Atherton just edged out. Stewart may have to be moved elsewhere in the order. Despite only playing a small number of tests I still rate Swann above Illy, Tuffers, Croft, Giles, Salesbury and Monty. Hoggard is a shock choice but as part of this 4 man attack I think he would work well.

Any thoughts? Even better, does any Aussie have their own version?
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromLancs View Post
    I still rate Swann above Illy, Tuffers, Croft, Giles, Salesbury and Monty.
    That's not in any doubt. However, Peter Such was the best Pom spin bowler in this period.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

1. Gooch
    2. Trescothick
    3. Vaughan
    4. Pieterson
    5. Thorpe
    6. Stewart
    7. Flintoff
    8. Swann
    9. Gough
    10. Caddick
    11. Hoggard

Atherton just edged out. Stewart may have to be moved elsewhere in the order. Despite only playing a small number of tests I still rate Swann above Illy, Tuffers, Croft, Giles, Salesbury and Monty. Hoggard is a shock choice but as part of this 4 man attack I think he would work well.

Interesting selection, harsh on Fraser & Strauss not to mention a couple of others if you looks & the stats since 1990 though..

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

1. Gooch
    2. Trescothick
    3. Vaughan
    4. Pieterson
    5. Thorpe
    6. Stewart
    7. Flintoff
    8. Swann
    9. Gough
    10. Caddick
    11. Hoggard

Yeah I'd be happy with that team, except Fraser probably ahead of Hoggy though. I like the look of a Gooch / Trescothick opening partnership a lot.

It's amazing how Swann's emergence makes for a much more balanced team when you do this sort of exercise. Such and Tufnell were good bowlers but not necessarily any better than Swann (and perhaps not as likely to succeed at Test level given that he clearly has the mental credentials as well as the talent) but the amount extra that Swann offers with the bat and in the field just takes him into a different class.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Yeah I'd be happy with that team, except Fraser probably ahead of Hoggy though. I like the look of a Gooch / Trescothick opening partnership a lot.

It's amazing how Swann's emergence makes for a much more balanced team when you do this sort of exercise. Such and Tufnell were good bowlers but not necessarily any better than Swann (and perhaps not as likely to succeed at Test level given that he clearly has the mental credentials as well as the talent) but the amount extra that Swann offers with the bat and in the field just takes him into a different class.
    Yep, Flintoff and especially Swann mean that the team has real batting depth to go with the 4 quicks that I have sworn by for England since 05.

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Interesting selection, harsh on Fraser & Strauss not to mention a couple of others if you looks & the stats since 1990 though..

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com
    Fair points. I never really took to Fraser though. I didn't like his style which is quite shallow of me I know. Strauss comes close, especially after a superb Ashes 09 with bat and captaincy. If he was to replace anyone for me it would be Vaughan because the lure of two heavyweights opening is too much.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    I'd switch Vaughan with Nasser.

Fair points. I never really took to Fraser though. I didn't like his style which is quite shallow of me I know. Strauss comes close, especially after a superb Ashes 09 with bat and captaincy. If he was to replace anyone for me it would be Vaughan because the lure of two heavyweights opening is too much.
    Depending on the opposition I'd consider having Smith ahead of either Vaughan or Strauss. If he's not going to be facing a quality spinner, and particularly if he's going to be facing a hostile pace attack, I'd want the Judge to deliver some Justice

1. Gooch
    2. Trescothick
    3. Smith
    4. Kp
    5. Thorpe
    6. Stewart
    7. Flintoff
    8. Swann
    9. Gough
    10. Fraser
    11. Jones

Yeah, like the look of the OPs side, just a couple of tweaks, but I'd be relatively happy with his side. I've gone for Jones for the difference he gave us in that two tests he was fit, probably wrong. Dean Headley also deserves a mention for a short time, another one curtailed by injury, who was better then Caddick and Hoggy IMHO.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Depending on the opposition I'd consider having Smith ahead of either Vaughan or Strauss. If he's not going to be facing a quality spinner, and particularly if he's going to be facing a hostile pace attack, I'd want the Judge to deliver some Justice
    He completely slipped my mind.

I'd have Hoggy as part of a 4 man seam attack because it would relieve the pure wicket taking burden on him and he could be used more when the ball swung. And Hoggy, for a time, was best swing bowler in the world.

The selectors perhaps disagreed. When he was dumped by them he really was dumped.
    Last edited by GuyFromLancs; 25-03-2010 at 06:20 AM.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Sorry, but Fraser has to be there ahead of Hoggard. Best England bowler of this period for my money.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    The Aussie in me would probably like to see them wheel out -

1.M Lathwell*
    2.I Ward
    3.A Habib
    4.U Afzaal
    5.R Clarke
    6.R Blakey+
    7.G Hamilton
    8.J Ormond
    9.N Foster
    10.R Dawson
    11.M McGague

But seriously-

1.M Atherton
    2.G Gooch
    3.R Smith
    4.G Thorpe
    5.K Pieterson
    6.A Stewart+
    7.A Flintoff
    8.G Swann
    9.D Gough
    10.A Fraser
    11.A Caddick

Only one I had to give a second thought to was Smith over 2002/03 Michael Vaughan..

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    1. Andrew Strauss
    2. Graham Gooch
    3. Robin Smith
    4. Kevin Pietersen
    5. Graham Thorpe
    6. Alec Stewart+
    7. Andrew Flintoff
    8. Graeme Swann
    9. Darren Gough
    10. Angus Fraser
    11. Andrew Caddick

My opinion:
    - GA Gooch (a batsman who proved himself over three decades, even though he was rarely at his best against Australia - thanks partially to Alderman - and shouldn't have gone to Australia in '94/95)
    - AJ Strauss (better technique and record than Trescothick and has shown an ability to lead by example - Atherton did too, but he was badly affected by injury)
    - RA Smith (his ineptitude against spin is overstated slightly, but there is less chance of him facing spin batting at #3 - and he has more opportunity to punish the pacers)
    - KP Pietersen (was at his best at #4 and an easy choice)
    - GP Thorpe (was at his best at #5 and an easy choice)
    - AJ Stewart (thought about playing him as a pure batsman but decided not to - he is a fine wicketkeeper by himself and including Jack Russell leaves the bowling attack a bit thinner than I'd like)
    - A Flintoff (during his prime, of course)
    - GP Swann (although he has a poor technique against the short delivery, he is still a good lower-order batsman and a quality offspinner, though a bit overrated - because he isn't Ashley Giles)
    - D Gough (a given)
    - AR Caddick (could've included Dom Cork, I suppose, but Caddick was more versatile and did not fade away after an excellent start)
    - ARC Fraser (could've included Hoggard because he is more versatile than Fraser ever was, but Fraser has a better record - I guess under English conditions, I'd take Fraser)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information