• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread 2010

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Interested to see that former Coventry (And various other clubs) keeper Gary Montgomery was in the Lancs lineup. Doesn't look like he did too well the ball, though. What does he bowl?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Or did you mean to say, "I 'ate you, Buttler!"

(meaningless reference for anyone under 45, I suppose)

In the CC, pleased to see a big score for Porterfield, who at least justified giving the Ireland game a miss (and they won without him, anyway). Bit shocked to see Gloucs bowled out though. Would like to have seen Surrey finish Worcs off a bit more cheaply after having them 106-5 but I suppose in any 4-day game you're happy to bowl the opposition out on the first day. Interesting day, tstl, at Chester-le-Street. Huge burden on McGrath there as you'd think a deficit of 50 or more could be fatal for Yorkshire.

Oh and the TV game looks like it could be a good 'un.
Reckon you're underestimating the power of repeats there.

Anyway, the boy definitely has something. Choosing televised games for his best performances is never a bad idea either.

Anyone seen him keep?

stumpski

International Captain
Interested to see that former Coventry (And various other clubs) keeper Gary Montgomery was in the Lancs lineup. Doesn't look like he did too well the ball, though. What does he bowl?
One of the Lancs boys could tell you more about him, but I saw him bowl a few balls, he bowls left arm medium-fast, perhaps around 80 mph. I thought he did OK considering it was his first game, he had to bowl during the batting power play and he had a fairly straightforward catch dropped off him.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah,basically we have a one innings game from here,just hope the weather doesn't ruin it and we get a result either way.Draw no good for either side really though it will help them in their relegation fight.:laugh:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's like Old Trafford 2005 all over again: Harmison quite incapable of dismissing McGrath.

Nasty little deficit the minor county face now. Interesting to see how they get on 2nd time round.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hampshire playing even more youngsters today which is good to see, not going to qualify from this so may as well.

Benny Howell making his debut (think Jack played with him for a while)

Pothas

Made bloody hard work of that but got there in the end, needed Mckenzie's experience that is for sure.

Stoggler

Cricket Spectator
Michael Carberry

Watching Hants playing Leicestershire in the pub last night (with an eye on the Spurs match) and I noticed that Carberry really struggled to pick Naik's spin bowling and was out to him.

Considering he's a possible England replacement for Cook (again out cheaply today), does anyone know if he is rather suspect to spin in general, or was this just one bowler on one evening where he struggled?

Pothas

Nah he is not the best against spin especially when he first starts, can get look rather leaden footed when he can't get going but think Australia will suit him, certainly could not be doing any worse than poor old Cook right now.

Last edited:

Stoggler

Cricket Spectator
Thanks Pothas

Have to say, I don't know him too well - didn't get a chance to see him much on Saturday when I was at the Rose Bowl. And looks like yesterday was just an off day at the office! He did look pretty good against the faster stuff though.

Good result last night - looked a bit iffy for Hants for a while.

Pothas

Was an excellent performance in the field but certainly needed Mckenzie to see us through, 7 players aged 21 or younger though which is great to see.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeah, Carbs does struggle against spin at time. He's not awful against spin by any means, but he can look suspect. Australia would pretty much be perfect for him though TBH. He's excellent against pace and I think he'd cope very well with the likes of Johnson and Bollinger, although he couldn't do much worse than Cook is at the minute really. What Carbs also brings to the side is serious pace between the wickets and some exceptional fielding. He's probably one of the best fielders in England. I'd love to see him in the England side.

Stoggler

Cricket Spectator
Saturday was actually the first time I've actually sat at a live domestic cricket match that hasn't involved Sussex and so was looking at the players with an open and objective mind, it was good to see a number of young English guys playing well - very impressed with Briggs, Vince, Kimmy Adams, but also Jos Buttler for Somerset who played a lovely innings in the semi.

All very positive for Hants and England really.

If only I could say the same for Sussex... :unsure: