• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akthar or Thomson?

Who is better?

• Total voters

Teja.

Global Moderator
Both were the fastest bowlers of their respective eras, and both played a similar amount of matches.
Tests only, bowling only.

Thomson
M-51
I-90
W-200
BBI-6/46
BBM-9/105
Avg.-28.00
Eco.-3.18
SR-52.6
4w-16
5w-8
10w-0

Akhtar
M-46
I-82
W-178
BBI-6/11
BBM-11/78
Avg.-25.69
Eco.-3.37
SR-45.7
5w-12
10w-2

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
Thommo, great action, great stamina and cruelly cut down by an untimely shoulder injury.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd rather Thommo was from my country than Akhtar was from my country, but on a single given day I'd rather Akhtar was bowling for me.

chicane

State Captain
Their records suggest Shoaib was more potent, better average, SR, more 5fers, more 10s and similar ER. If the era Shoaib played in is considered to be tougher for bowlers, and the lack of a quality support consistently through his career is taken into account as a handicap, then it makes his record even more potent compared to Thomson.

IMO Shoaib's behaviour and availability is irrelevant to who was the better bowler.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be interested to see the results if Frank Tyson was added to the mix to make a three-way (ho ho) battle.

Though as that would break the seemingly mandatory Australian vs Asian player comparison that we've all become so fond of, I'm not sure if that would be allowed.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Thomson's stats in both tests and first class cricket indicate that he was nowhere near as good as he himself thought he was. He does look incredibly fast in his pomp though.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Don't know Thomo.

I will take Akhtar of the late 90s and then 2000 - 2005.....Super bowler in these days.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I just want to see what Ikki / Streetwise say about this.
I actually think it's rather easily Akhtar. Statistically a way in front. But gotta give Thomson his dues; was a frighteningly (metaphorically and literally) good bowler at his peak and his own legends. Still, think Akhtar could have been one of the greatest of all time had he not consistently shot himself in the foot.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'd be interested to see the results if Frank Tyson was added to the mix to make a three-way (ho ho) battle.

Though as that would break the seemingly mandatory Australian vs Asian player comparison that we've all become so fond of, I'm not sure if that would be allowed.
Tyson played considerably fewer tests and has a better record in those tests than both players, I don't think healthy comparison is possible.

slowfinger

International Debutant
TBH Shoaib was never really bad when he bowled because he always got wickets, imo if he played a proper career he'd potentially be potential :huh:.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The Thommo of the 1970s had a similar record to Shoaib. He damaged his record a bit by playing on into the 80s and ultimately bowling a lot slower than his awesome peak.