• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akthar or Thomson?

Who is better?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never saw Thommo so it's a difficult comparison.

But when Akthar was really on then he had alot more going for him than just pace, he had deceptively good control and an ability to move the ball around seemingly at will, the pace was just the icing on the cake. Only problem was the stamina, he could never maintain it for too long due to that huge run up and that fact he always seemed to be injured/returning from injury.

A couple of series stand out in my mind (vs New Zealand and Australia in 2002) where he had a couple of hot streaks and made some very good batsman look stupid on pretty slow/bland wickets.
Remember a few of his pitch maps from ODIs when he was bowling at his best. The line was constantly perfect, bang on off-stump, but the length varied with every delivery. And he was bowling 90+mph. The guy was an absolute nightmare for batsmen.

Thommo was much more consistant than Akhtar, Akhtar very rarely performed and when he did it did not last long.

If you look at their series records shoiab is all over the place.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Thommo was much more consistant than Akhtar, Akhtar very rarely performed and when he did it did not last long.

Their records certainly say a different story

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Shoaib is all over the place because he played all over the place. How many series did Thomson played out of his comfort zones ?

Thomson has an away performance record of 33.49 and he hardly ever toured Asia.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I recall Sachin and Akhtar battles being just as hyped up if not more than Warne and Tendulkars.

Everyone only seems to recall the 03 world cup though when Tendulkar smashed Akhtar around, you have to recall that on that surface, pace was your worst enemy and if a 50 over game was played on that same surface, you would have a 450 plus score. Despite that innings, Shoaib has consistently troubled and had the better on Tendulkar in the long run. I think that itself is pretty remarkable.

Only wished we saw more of Akhtar and Lara going at each other, the only time they faced each other,, Shoaib sent him to the hospital :(

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, that's a great clip.

FTR, in that innings

RT Ponting c Ijaz Ahmed b Azhar Mahmood 197 (288) 68.40

.. which had come after he got a pair the test before in Hobart.

Here's hoping the WACA gets back to something like that again.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I wish Akhtar and Asif had bowled together more often not only both are brilliant bowlers but their styles perfectly complement each other.

I recall Sachin and Akhtar battles being just as hyped up if not more than Warne and Tendulkars.

Everyone only seems to recall the 03 world cup though when Tendulkar smashed Akhtar around, you have to recall that on that surface, pace was your worst enemy and if a 50 over game was played on that same surface, you would have a 450 plus score. Despite that innings, Shoaib has consistently troubled and had the better on Tendulkar in the long run. I think that itself is pretty remarkable.

Only wished we saw more of Akhtar and Lara going at each other, the only time they faced each other,, Shoaib sent him to the hospital :(
Doesn't have anything to do with the thread really but that's false.Akhtar has a poor record against India so he can't have troubled any Indian batsman much.Sehwag especially owned him.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain

How shoaib had better on Tendulkar in long run?
He averaged 42 against Pakistan in tests and 46 in ODI in match involving shoaib akhter.
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

OR is it another lahori logic that Inzamam is a big match player and abdul kadir is better than warne

Xuhaib

International Coach
Shoaib did not get the better or Sachin but part of the reason is that most India-Pak test matches take place on the deadest of tracks however there have been occasions where Akhtar has got under the skin of Sachin and it makes you wonder what might have been had these two faced more often on sporting tracks.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Shoaib did not get the better or Sachin but part of the reason is that most India-Pak test matches take place on the deadest of tracks however there have been occasions where Akhtar has got under the skin of Sachin and it makes you wonder what might have been had these two faced more often on sporting tracks.
If india pakistan match would have been played on sporting tracks, then Inzi,Yousuf , younis would have their career average in 40-45, not in high 40s as it is.

Just check the batting average of asian batsmen outside subcontinent. Most of them are flat track bullies.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
For me shoaib akhter is greater than jeff thomson and hence my vote goes to shoaib

Of the 3 quickies of 2000s, Bond>shoaib>lee

Xuhaib

International Coach
For me shoaib akhter is greater than jeff thomson and hence my vote goes to shoaib

Of the 3 quickies of 2000s, Bond>shoaib>lee
Nah Steyn > then all lol at Lee being in top 3, Nitini is another guy who gets crimnally underrated.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes, steyn is greater than all the 3 and his average in India and Pak is amazing for a fast bowler.

Ntini was clueless on unhelpful track for fast bowlers