• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting match-ups - all forms of the game

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most Common bowler/batsman match-ups (in terms of wickets taken) across all 3 forms of the game......

Records | Combined Test, ODI and T20I records | Bowling records | Bowler/batsman combinations | Cricinfo.com

Found it interesting that;

1) McGrath owned Atherton, Kirsten, Inzamam & Tendulkar, yet was only moderately successful against Lara.

2) Hayden >>> against Harbhajan

3) Ponting >>> Kumble

4) Gough >>>> Kirsten

5) Vaas >>>> both Fleming & Gayle

6) Tendulkar >>> Murali

7) Walcott >>>> Laker

8) De Silva >> Saqlain

Last edited:

Burgey

Sorry, is the average quoted there the runs averaged by the batsman in those innings, or off the bowler concerned? I suspect the former, but not sure.

Edit - notes at the bottom say it's batsman's average score upon dismissal.

Bloody hell, check out Shaun Pollock on Tendulkar!

Thought Harby's record against Ponting would be even better than that tbh, though Ponting averaging 25 in those matches is hardly massive.

Interesting list. Cheers for that.

Last edited:

vcs

Sorry, is the average quoted there the runs averaged by the batsman in those innings, or off the bowler concerned? I suspect the former, but not sure.

Yeah, I was just about to point that out. :shocking:

Zinzan

Thought Harby's record against Ponting would be even better than that tbh, though Ponting averaging 25 in those matches is hardly massive.

Interesting list. Cheers for that.
Yup, batsman's average

Had missed Pollock v Tendulkar as well ...:blink:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Very intesting statistics. Two points of interest I'd add to your first post would be Pollock over Tendulkar (13 wickets @ 6.15) and Vaas over Gibbs (12 wickets @ 2.33!).

Zinzan

Very intesting statistics. Two points of interest I'd add to your first post would be Pollock over Tendulkar (13 wickets @ 6.15) and Vaas over Gibbs (12 wickets @ 2.33!).
Always amazed me how Vaas had so many quality bunnies

vcs

BTW, that average does not take into account scores that might have been made by the batsman when the bowler was playing, but failed to dismiss him, does it?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
BTW, that average does not take into account scores that might have been made by the batsman when the bowler was playing, but failed to dismiss him, does it?
No. So all it really shows is an ability to extract a batsman early. If that batsman has a good record against a side, it may say that he has to weather the storm against that particular bowler and then he will be fine. But if it is a bad record against the nation (e.g. Gibbs vs Sri Lanka/Vass), then it is fair to say that player has his number.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No. So all it really shows is an ability to extract a batsman early. If that batsman has a good record against a side, it may say that he has to weather the storm against that particular bowler and then he will be fine. But if it is a bad record against the nation (e.g. Gibbs vs Sri Lanka/Vass), then it is fair to say that player has his number.
But then The batsmen may have clobbered that said bowler in those occasions and it is not included in this average.

For example -Player A gets dismissed twice in a row by player B for a score of 6 and 5 respectively.Now in the third innings player A takes his revenge and smacks a 200 not out and smacks player B around for 90 runs of 10 overs.
His average on here will still show 5 runs.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Correct...Ave is the average batsman's score upon dismissal by the bowler

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But then The batsmen may have clobbered that said bowler in those occasions and it is not included in this average.

For example -Player A gets dismissed twice in a row by player B for a score of 6 and 5 respectively.Now in the third innings player A takes his revenge and smacks a 200 not out and smacks player B around for 90 runs of 10 overs.
His average on here will still show 5 runs.
Sure, but I think the Pollock stat is telling. It is a window to why Tendulkar was pretty poor record against the Saffies.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pollock has always had something over Sachin. Personally believe he bowled a better corridoor line against him than any other bowler.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would be interested to see Vaas vs Fleming in ODIs in the 2 years before WC 2007.

iirc Vaas got him a number of times for paltry amounts (possibly all LBW as well).

Zinzan

Would be interested to see Vaas vs Fleming in ODIs in the 2 years before WC 2007.

iirc Vaas got him a number of times for paltry amounts (possibly all LBW as well).
Remember that well, His leg kept getting in the way of his bat :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pollock has always had something over Sachin. Personally believe he bowled a better corridoor line against him than any other bowler.
Pollock at his best (ie, his first ~6 years) had something over just about everyone - no-one really got on top of him for more than the odd match. Even when he was much lesser (2001/02-2005/06) he still didn't often get the treatment. In that time it's interesting how relatively few times he and Tendulkar faced-off - and of course for much of it Tendulkar himself was struggling as well.

Then in 2006/07 we got the two of them back to their best once more and I suppose it's fair to say Pollock came out on top again.

BTW I'm very much not in favour of trying to combine ODIs and Tests. The two are so different it's meaningless.