Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket journalism- How much do you have to know?

Cricket journalism- How much do you have to know?

Hi. I'm at the difficult age of fourteen, where I have to decide on a career. I am considering going into journalism of Cricket. What I want to know is, how much do you actually need to know to be a journalist of the game? And how much history it's relevant to know about the game.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

Helps if you captain England first.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Aiming to cover sport as a journalist is an ideal so many would love to do - the reality, naturally, is that precious few will ever achieve it.

TBH, a better idea would be to aim for something where more people are employed and you have a better chance of success.

There are plenty of people on this forum who could have made good cricket journalists, had the cookie crumbled that way and had they been inclined that way. It's far more about whether you get lucky breaks than whether you're good in journalism.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Helps if you captain England first.
    Unfortunately for those not blessed with a natural talent for playing cricket, the above is true.

In the age of the celeb, it matters more to have a recognised face on screen than someone who knows his, or indeed her, stuff. Even if that recognised face has an idiot's brain behind it.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    Hi. I'm at the difficult age of fourteen, where I have to decide on a career. I am considering going into journalism of Cricket. What I want to know is, how much do you actually need to know to be a journalist of the game? And how much history it's relevant to know about the game.
    Really? I'm 20 and I've not NFI
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Really? I'm 20 and I've not NFI
    haha yeah. Got my first career at 33
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Baz Luhrmann ftw.

Here's my take on things a couple of years ago.

Cricket Journalism

Oh, and here - Quick Question Regarding Journalism Practice

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Based on the writings of Malcolm Conn, that horrible Dorries fellow and a few others around Australia, you need to know sweet **** all to get a start.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International 12th Man
    There is the Mandira Bedi option for some. It can loosely be called cricket journalism, and any actual cricketing knowledge could be a disadvantage. (If you think I'm being too facetious, think how much money she makes).

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    Hi. I'm at the difficult age of fourteen, where I have to decide on a career
    **** I have a **** life ahead of me then
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Cricket journalism is way too narrow a field to target at your age. As mentioned there are very few opportunities and many of them will go to people who have played professional cricket.

The media industry itself is struggling in many countries though my hunch is it will recover nicely along with the global economy so journalism as a whole isn't a bad area to target. However the journalism profession itself will be different with a blurring of boundaries between print,TV and web journalism. What you need to do is to develop a range of skills to develop good content. Writing skills are the most important but also try to pick up photography, video-editing and so on.

Also it's never been easier to create and distribute content for close to free. Start a blog, make videos, build a web-site etc. This will improve your skills and promote yourself. Ideally by the time you graduate college you should have a body of decent content on the web which will help you land a good job. And if you are really good you can make decent money directly from a blog through Google Adsense.

You don't need to give up on cricket while doing all this. Try writing cricket articles for websites like this one or making good cricket videos for Youtube. If you are any good and get a break you could end up with your dream job. But don't make cricket your main target.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Aiming to cover sport as a journalist is an ideal so many would love to do - the reality, naturally, is that precious few will ever achieve it.

TBH, a better idea would be to aim for something where more people are employed and you have a better chance of success.

There are plenty of people on this forum who could have made good cricket journalists, had the cookie crumbled that way and had they been inclined that way. It's far more about whether you get lucky breaks than whether you're good in journalism.
    Why? I don't really understand that sort of mentality. I'm not saying he should put all his eggs into one basket, but you should always aim for what you want to do rather than settling for mediocrity. Of course, he might not achieve it, but if you aim for the stars and all that jazz...

I'm no expert andmark but I'd imagine most journalists don't get into it through a specific field but instead just become journalists and take what they can get, initially. If you're good and prove yourself you probably get a better shot at doing what you want to do.

I'd agree with those who say you should get writing blogs, take any opportunities that you get in school to do extra-curricular writing and go on little workshops. When work experience comes up (maybe next year or the year after depending on your school - I did mine in Year 10 but I think most schools do it in year 11) see if you can get a placement with the Echo, the Post or Mersey Mart (I think the latter is the free paper cross the water). At the end of the day, if you're thinking about something like journalism at your age then I guess you are interested in writing a lot, so all my suggestions shouldn't seem too much like hard work.

Of course, I'm not a journalist or anything so these are just guess-based suggestions tbh, none of them can hurt though.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Thanks for the advice.

your young and really at your age only two things need to be done to reach your goal. write and read.... that is the advice stephen king gives to young writers.

furthermore you dont have to had played the game at top level. i think someone like howard cosell has proven that. different sport (heavy weight boxing) but hey i just wanted to point out anything is possible.

check out howard cosell interviwing mohammed ali.

YouTube - Ali vs. Cosell - 1968 Interview

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information