• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Quiet One - VVS Laxman

James

Cricket Web Owner
The Quiet One

VVS Laxman In an era of brash,young aggressive Indian cricketers like Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh and Sreesanth, it is a calming influence to know that you have someone like VVS Laxman in your team.

by Giridhar Hariharan

jeevan

International 12th Man

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It does tend to lead to lots of utterly stupid counter-claims and counter-claims and counter-claims and counter-claims and counter-claims and counter-claims, so yes. Inherently there's not a lot wrong with it, but with the inevitability of the outcome it'd be so much easier if no-one ever did.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Five dismissals in ten games isn't exactly being owned. Remember that's his average score on dismissal, not the runs per dismissal he scored against McGrath.
Laxman averages 44.57 in matches against McGrath which is pretty good, certainly not 'owned' though.

Sir Alex

Banned
Laxman averages 44.57 in matches against McGrath which is pretty good, certainly not 'owned' though.
I agree and have to disagree with jeevan on this one. Laxman indeed "owned" Australian attack (comprising McGrath and Warne for good measure) in the epic 2001 series. But was "owned" by them in the 1999-00 series (except for the brilliant Sydney hundred) and in 2004. Pretty much even stevens there.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You can own someone for one ball, one over, one inning, one test match or one series - that's not what I am talking about. My conclusion was for overall. Rarely are contests very one sided - if it were that would be ownage. Since it wasn't, on the balance, it was fairly even.

Which means we agree, but I am clarifying for future reference.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I agree and have to disagree with jeevan on this one. Laxman indeed "owned" Australian attack (comprising McGrath and Warne for good measure) in the epic 2001 series. But was "owned" by them in the 1999-00 series (except for the brilliant Sydney hundred) and in 2004. Pretty much even stevens there.
Yes exclude all good performances of Laxman and then obviously he was owned.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love watching Laxman bat. Would walk to Perth from here to see him if it was guaranteed he'd make runs. Great player to watch.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Five dismissals in ten games isn't exactly being owned. Remember that's his average score on dismissal, not the runs per dismissal he scored against McGrath.
My bad, I had thought this meant he had scored 400 runs vs McGrath but being out to him only 5 times. (In retrospect, that would be quite a bit of work for cricinfo).