• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi to lead in WC T20

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Shahid Afridi to lead, official announcement tomorrow

Monday, 22 Mar, 2010

Shahid Afridi has been picked to lead Pakistan in the World Twenty20 Championship in West Indies later next month, DawnNews quoted a Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) source as saying on Monday.

The board made the decision in collaboration with the selection committee and the coach but the official announcement will be made tomorrow, the source said.

The news comes after weeks of speculation on the issue of captaincy for which Misbah-ul-Haq, Abdul Razzaq and Salman Butt were the other contenders.

In an odd move on March 12, the PCB had announced a 15-member squad for the event but had held back on naming a captain. After weeks of deliberations, it was learnt that the board had decided on the matter but was waiting to officially reveal the name of the captain on March 23, Pakistan Day.

Barring a u-turn from the PCB, Shahid Afridi will lead the side in Twent20s while the issue of naming a captain for tests and ODIs would be put on the backburner.

“We are only naming a captain for this format and tournament right now and nothing else,” Ijaz Butt had told Cricinfo earlier.

Source: Dawn News

:laugh: i knew it.....PCB couldn't help themselves but go with Afridi.

TBH, he is the only captaincy material in this squad....

Last edited:

Faisal1985

I am actually relieved that Salman Butt and Misbah Ul Haq are not captains....I don't think i would have mind Razzaq, but by far Afridi the best choice.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
^ salman butt is the most intelligent and educated player in the team, Afridi is a good choice for T20 but for ODI's and Test they should pick Salman Butt for sure.

Faisal1985

IMO, being educated and intelligent should not necessarily be a factor when picking a captain. I think leadership qualities don't have a lot to do with it. But yes a good cricketing brain is needed. i.e. Miandad had a great cricketing mind, he knew how to tackle the opposition tactically yet not that educated. Salman Butt may be educated and intelligent but i highly doubt his leadership abilities vs. Afridi's. Also Salman Butt has an iffy reputation especially how he has been getting selected despite poor performances.

Last edited: