• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So what does the future hold for West Indies?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair, Nash did outperform North with the bat in the recent Test series Down Under....
:cool:
Oh yeah, but I meant when he was still playing cricket here.
Besides, Chris Martin could have given him a run for his money during this summer

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
T
Though I would like to go into the first Test with the extra batsman, I can't help feeling that GIbson doesn't see it that way. I suspect he's going to persist with Bravo and six and Ramdin at seven, and will omit Deonarine. I think Deonarine will probably be on stand-by in case Sarwan is not fit to play. This is what I suspect his likely XI for the first Test will be....

1) Chris Gayle
2) Adrian Barath
3) Ramnaresh Sarwan
4) Shiv Chanderpaul
5) Brendan Nash
6) Dwayne Bravo
7) Denesh Ramdin
8) Jerome Taylor/Lionel Baker (depending on Taylor's fitness)
9) Suleimann Benn
10) Kemar Roach
11) Pedro Collins
i thought Pedro was out of the picture?

shivfan

Banned
i thought Pedro was out of the picture?
He was a Kolpak for Surrey, but he's been released, so he's now available for WI duties, as far as I know....

Collins and Tudor released by Surrey | Cricket News | Surrey | Cricinfo.com

"Surrey signed Collins, the former West Indies fast bowler, on a two-year Kolpak deal. Collins, 33, played 32 Tests and 30 ODIs, but as a Kolpak signing is unable to play for West Indies again without immediately becoming an overseas player."

I haven't heard any news of another county signing him, so as far as I know he's available. And he did take 26 wickets for Barbados at an average of 17.5, so he deserves to be considered.

He's not a contracted player, but then again, neither is Pollard, so you never know....

shivfan

Banned
Lionel Baker. His bowling averages doesnt read well. Is this misleading?
I'm not a fan of Baker. I don't think he has the pace to make it at test level. And unlike Collins, doesn't offer much else....

But this domestic season, he did take 23 wickets at an average of 15, so hopefully he's improved.

His overall Test record, as you say, is five wickets at 79, but that is only from four Tests.

Collins has played 32 Tests, and his bowling average is 34, which is not bad, when you compare it to other latter-day WI pacers....

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't really read into his Test average due to lack of sample size but a FC average of 30 isn't fantastic.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
That's a cop-out, Windie....
:dry:
The indications seem to be that the A team squad has been selected for all three tours, which includes England in May. That would mean that A team players would not be available for selection for the main team against South Africa, barring some serious injuries, of course.

The four-day domestic tournament has been completed, and Gibson is already organising a camp in barbados for players he expects to be involved in the world 20/20 champs and the Test tour by South Africa. He already has his Test squad in mind, IMHO....

So, basically you're saying that you're not sure who you want to see in the Test team for the first Test against South Africa?
:cool:
Your notion that "no players from the A-team can't get into the side to face South Africa" is extremely dated Mike, we play Zimbabwe next month do you really think if someone impresses that Gibson won't consider them? especially a pacer? :laugh: incase you didn't know Mike Gibson was schooled in the English system, the same English system that called up Alister Cook to make his debut against India despite the fact that he was already touring with the England A-team.

Imo the A-team games before they tour England are designed purely for Gibson to see if he has more options to choose from before we face South Africa, and i embrace that logic, as for your "cop out" line, i've been consistent with my belief that we should wait until we've left no stone unturned before we pick the final 15 to face South Africa, what's wrong with that? 8-) the players i'd definitely have in the side right now are..

Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Deonarine
Dwayne Bravo
Taylor
Roach

That's as far as it goes, you know my thoughts on the Nash/Shiv situation already, the wicketkeeper position is yet to be resolved, the spinner situation might be wide open if Khan or Kantasingh do well for the A-team, i believe a new pacer (Holder) will make a late bid for a place too, and if Darren Bravo turns it on i think things could get very interesting, THERE'S NO RUSH Mike, just relax and hope that our youngsters stand up over the next few months, because the team you picked was truly terrible man!! :p.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Such rubbish to be sorted here. Nash and Shiv are guaranteed to start against South Africa barring injury.

Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Nash
Bravo
Ramdin
Taylor
Benn/Miller
Rampaul/Collins
Roach

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Such rubbish to be sorted here. Nash and Shiv are guaranteed to start against South Africa barring injury.

Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Nash
Bravo
Ramdin
Taylor
Benn/Miller
Rampaul/Collins
Roach

Yeah lets leave our most in form batsman (Deonarine) out of the side!!!.. brilliant idea!! 8-) .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You win Test matches with bowling not batting. And he's not the most in form batsman either way.
So we should just give South Africa a load of crap to bowl out and rely on our bowling attack to save us? :laugh: lets get real man, we need to be strong in both departments, the only way we're gonna have a chance of winning is if our batsman give them something to think about, imo Deo has done himself justice since he came into the side in Australia, he got an 80 in the tests, he done well in a few of the ODi's too against the Aussies and then basically won us the series against Zimbabwe, so yes i'd say he's certainly our most in form batsman, Gayle spoiled his form after his shocking performances in the one dayers and t20's in Australia.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Only way Deonarine plays is if we drop the spinner IMO but this topic isn't about the South Africa series anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
Jason Holder bowls at 125 clicks. Not many seamers of that speed are test class, and there's only been one world class seamer of that pace that I recall (Sid Barnes). He's also still a teenager.

Playing him anytime soon would be a bad idea.

Howsie

International Captain
Jason Holder has two first-class wickets and he's close to being in the test team, and some people think he'll come in and do well right away :unsure: It's Tim Southee all over again barring the domestic success. Southee took a bucket load of wickets against a strong Indian under 19 team during their tour to New Zealand, he was then named player of the tournament at the 2008 under 19 world cup, he also took a bucket load of domestic wickets that season and made the test team a month later. Barring his game against England he's been inconsistant and in and out of the team for two years.

Young bowlers take a long time to develop, if I had to guess Holder wouldn't be test class for at least five years, bowlers just take so long to develop at the next level.

shivfan

Banned
Well said, roseboy, guys....

So what if Holder or Gabriel take a string of wickets against Zimbabwe? There is a vast difference in quality between Zimbabwe and South Africa. I'm sure Gibson has his head screwed on (unlike someone I know :unsure:) and will keep that promising pacer in the squad for the tours of Bangladesh and England. Players like Holder need quite a bit more FC experience before they're subjected to run-making machines like Smith and Kallis. There's a significant difference between bowling at Smith, Kallis and deVilliers on one hand, and Mazakadza, Mahmudullah and Denly on the other....

shivfan

Banned

Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Nash
Bravo
Ramdin
Taylor
Benn/Miller
Rampaul/Collins
Roach
Yeah, Shiv and Nash are both certain to play in the first Test....

Let's bookmark this thread, and re-visit it after the Test series against South Africa. We can then look at the series batting stats for both Nash and Shiv, and compare them to Barath, Bravo and Deonarine, if the latter gets a game, that is.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jason Holder bowls at 125 clicks. Not many seamers of that speed are test class, and there's only been one world class seamer of that pace that I recall (Sid Barnes). He's also still a teenager.

Playing him anytime soon would be a bad idea.
Oh, haven't you heard? He impressed in a T20 against Lancashire.

He's the real deal.