• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So what does the future hold for West Indies?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Yeah i did, and i also read your first line too Mike!! :unsure: , anyway what exactly is "enough" in your book? take Shillingford for example, he done well last season taking over 20 wickets, he's now continued that form for the A-team so what more can he do? but oh yeah i forgot you stay loving the "old boys club" :laugh: , Shillingford, Edwards and Pascal are capable of making the step up NOW imo, and if Brathwaite continues his form then they won't be able to ignore him either.
I think Mike's being too pessimistic and you are being too optimistic. The truth probably lies somwhere in the middle.

A decent 2 months with the A team could propel any of these guys into the senior team IMHO. But I disagree with you about them being ready now. Perhaps Shillingofrd who has spent years playing FC cricket and club cricket around the world, but the others still have a fair bit too prove.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I think Mike's being too pessimistic and you are being too optimistic. The truth probably lies somwhere in the middle.

A decent 2 months with the A team could propel any of these guys into the senior team IMHO. But I disagree with you about them being ready now. Perhaps Shillingofrd who has spent years playing FC cricket and club cricket around the world, but the others still have a fair bit too prove.
Maybe i jumped the gun with Edwards even though i think he's gonna make the step up sooner rather than later, but Pascal already has international experience doesn't he? so i wouldn't say he's far away, i agree with you about Shillingford too, personally i think he has the potential to be our Graham Swann.

shivfan

Banned
Yeah, Beamer, I do err on the side of caution....
:laugh:
I think we now all agree on Edwards. Give him a run in the side, let him convert some more 50s to tons, and then we can talk about him making the step up. I believe the A team will be playing some one-dayers against Zimbabwe now, so we won't see what more they have in the longer form of the game until they play Bangladesh A and England A, who are stronger teams.

It's good to see Shilly taking some wickets. But I have serious concerns about his action. I haven't seen him bowl recently, but are we sure that he won't be called for throwing? With all the spinners at our disposal, we pick one for the A team who has question marks over his action....
:unsure:
Pascal just jook five wickets in a match against lowly Zimbabwe. I think it's a little too early to talk about him making the step up. Similarly, I think he needs a good run in the A team, agianst the likes of Zimbabwe and england, before we talk about the Test team.

I really don't see any of these players figuring in the squad for the first Test against South Africa, unless injuries decimate the first-teamers....

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So basically you've just regurgitated what you've been saying from the start Mike!! :laugh: , there's a reason why the A-team is playing now, it's to see WHO CAN STEP UP to the next level, if they impress then they should get a chance imo, you talk about "lowly Zimbabwe" but what did Benn do against Zim? not much, Ramdin was shocking too, i think there's at least three positions up for the grabs in the team, one pacer as i don't think Rampaul has what he takes in the longer form of the game, the spinn position if Shane keeps up his form and the wicketkeeper position because Ramdin isn't impressing at all, we aren't world beaters right now so no-one's position should be "rock solid" like you seem to be thinking Mike.

shivfan

Banned
So basically you've just regurgitated what you've been saying from the start Mike!! :laugh: , there's a reason why the A-team is playing now, it's to see WHO CAN STEP UP to the next level, if they impress then they should get a chance imo, you talk about "lowly Zimbabwe" but what did Benn do against Zim? not much, Ramdin was shocking too, i think there's at least three positions up for the grabs in the team, one pacer as i don't think Rampaul has what he takes in the longer form of the game, the spinn position if Shane keeps up his form and the wicketkeeper position because Ramdin isn't impressing at all, we aren't world beaters right now so no-one's position should be "rock solid" like you seem to be thinking Mike.
Well, obviously, you need to pick your best XI to play the first Test against South Africa, and none of these guys have really done anything in the first four-day FC game against Zimbabwe to merit it....
8-)
Are you really saying that Shillingford should play ahead of Benn and Miller in the first Test against the Saffers? Pleas don't tell me you're confusing Benn's performance in an ODI against Zimbabwe with Benn's performances in a Test series against the Aussies....
They are two different formats of the game.

the A team's next three-day game is against Glamorgan on June 5-7, and the first Test against the Saffers is on June 10-14. So, if anyone from the A team is going to do anything to merit a callup to the Test team, they would've had to do so in the four-day game that's just been completed....

So, based upon that, what would your lineup be for the first Test against the Saffers?

Or are you going to tell me that you would like to pick a team for a Test match based on how A-teamers perform in one-day matches?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well, obviously, you need to pick your best XI to play the first Test against South Africa, and none of these guys have really done anything in the first four-day FC game against Zimbabwe to merit it....
8-)
Are you really saying that Shillingford should play ahead of Benn and Miller in the first Test against the Saffers? Pleas don't tell me you're confusing Benn's performance in an ODI against Zimbabwe with Benn's performances in a Test series against the Aussies....
They are two different formats of the game.

the A team's next three-day game is against Glamorgan on June 5-7, and the first Test against the Saffers is on June 10-14. So, if anyone from the A team is going to do anything to merit a callup to the Test team, they would've had to do so in the four-day game that's just been completed....

So, based upon that, what would your lineup be for the first Test against the Saffers?

Or are you going to tell me that you would like to pick a team for a Test match based on how A-teamers perform in one-day matches?
I was talking about BENN BEING DROPPED FOR MILLER which is an indication that Gibson wasn't happy with his bowling, the different formats has nothing to do with it, also how many tests has Miller played? one against Bang of which he didn't even impress, so why must he be ahead of Shillingford? 8-) you talk about how people "must impress" but yet the person who has impressed everyone but the pope lately (Deonarine) apparently wouldn't get into your starting eleven!!, it just stinks of contradictions Mike!! :laugh: .

Beamer

Gayle (c)
Barath
Sarwan
Deonarine
Chanderpaul
Nash
Bravo - He has been off the boil during the IPL - will watch his batting performances closely
Ramdin (wk - he better produce though, patience is wearing thin)
Taylor
Benn - we have so many spinners waiting to take his spot so he better perform better than he has been
Roach

Reserves:

Travis Dowlin
Shane Shillingford - we dont need two slow left armers, so Shilly is the reserve off spinner
Ravi Rampaul

Last edited:

Stapel

International Regular
Gayle (c)
Barath
Sarwan
Deonarine
Chanderpaul
Nash
Bravo - He has been off the boil during the IPL - will watch his batting performances closely
Ramdin (wk - he better produce though, patience is wearing thin)
Taylor
Benn - we have so many spinners waiting to take his spot so he better perform better than he has been
Roach
A bowler short? On a turning pitch, Gayle might be useful, but otherwise?

shivfan

Banned
I would choose the same side that Beamer picks above....

Let's face it - the other pacers are not good enough to take wickets regularly to justify a place on the Test team. If Edwards gets fit, then I can see one of the batsmen making way for him to return. But giving a bowling spot to a pacer like Rampaul or a green newbie like Pascal is a waste of a space right now.

shivfan

Banned
I was talking about BENN BEING DROPPED FOR MILLER which is an indication that Gibson wasn't happy with his bowling, the different formats has nothing to do with it, also how many tests has Miller played? one against Bang of which he didn't even impress, so why must he be ahead of Shillingford? 8-) you talk about how people "must impress" but yet the person who has impressed everyone but the pope lately (Deonarine) apparently wouldn't get into your starting eleven!!, it just stinks of contradictions Mike!! :laugh: .
You obviously don't pay attention to my posts, because I've said time and time and time again, that my side would be exactly as Beamer has it, and that includes Deonarine....
8-)
Personally, I'm ambivalent about Miller, and whether he gets picked ahead of Shillingford or not. But there's something we need to remember - Shilly was no-balled for his action by local umpires, including Bucknor, not so long ago. Are we convinced that his action has been remedied and can withstand the scrutiny of TV coverage?

Stapel

International Regular
I would choose the same side that Beamer picks above....

Let's face it - the other pacers are not good enough to take wickets regularly to justify a place on the Test team. If Edwards gets fit, then I can see one of the batsmen making way for him to return. But giving a bowling spot to a pacer like Rampaul or a green newbie like Pascal is a waste of a space right now.
Yeah, you're probably right: No use in adding an extra bowler who is not really up to it. We've seen the same with Powell.

shivfan

Banned
If Taylor is unfit, this would be my XI for the First Test....

1) Chris Gayle
2) Adrian Barath
3) Ramnaresh Sarwan
4) Shiv Chanderpaul
5) Brendan Nash
6) Narsing Deonarine
7) Dwayne Bravo
8) Denesh Ramdin
9) Suleimann Benn
10) Pedro Collins
11) Kemar Roach

I think Collins has earned a recall by virtue of being the leading wicket-taker among the pacers this domestic season, and that's nothing to be sneezed at, because these pitches don't help pacers these days. He's a leftie, as well all know, so he offers something a litte different. The only other pacer to be among the leading wicket-taking stakes was Lionel Baker, so I would have him as my reserve.

That said, I think Gibson is likely to omit Deonarine, and have Bravo at six and Ramdin at seven. Personally, I'm not confident that a team like that can stand up to the likes of Dale Steyn....
Memory check for Windie....

I made this post on March 22, and as you can see, it's very similar to the team Beamer posted. Of course, we can forget about Collins, because once again he's turned his back on WI cricket!
Insert Jerome Taylor, or the next best pacer, if Taylor is unfit again....

Beamer

Memory check for Windie....

I made this post on March 22, and as you can see, it's very similar to the team Beamer posted. Of course, we can forget about Collins, because once again he's turned his back on WI cricket!
Insert Jerome Taylor, or the next best pacer, if Taylor is unfit again....
Now Pedro has turned his back on Windies cricket again I hope Barbados will realise their folly and play Holder, Ruel Braithwaite or Javon Searles in his place. He has no future prospects so why deny someone who does the opportunity?

As for the bowling in the side Mike and I would select being thin, I agree it most definitely is but until Pascal, Gabriel or Bess kick the door down or Fidel gets fit their is nothing we can do. Deonarine is a better off spinner than Gayle IMHO and a decent part time option, particularly on a turning pitch.

And roseboy, I agree that Miller is ahead of Shilly, I even think he should be ahead of Benn, but for the sake of balance we cant have the reserve spinner in a small test squad being exactly the same as the incumbant, hence Shill, as the top off spinner in the region at the moment, gets that pick.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You obviously don't pay attention to my posts, because I've said time and time and time again, that my side would be exactly as Beamer has it, and that includes Deonarine....
8-)
Personally, I'm ambivalent about Miller, and whether he gets picked ahead of Shillingford or not. But there's something we need to remember - Shilly was no-balled for his action by local umpires, including Bucknor, not so long ago. Are we convinced that his action has been remedied and can withstand the scrutiny of TV coverage?
Of course i payed attention Mike and at first you said "Deo hasn't earned a spot in the side ahead of Nash or Shiv", but then when his performances got more and more convincing you tried to leave out a bowler which WE ALL KNOW Gibson won't do :laugh: , as for Shilly, well the man is simply in brilliant form right now, he's forcing the issue and like i've been saying lately he could be our Greaham Swann, i'm not concerned about his "action", if it's not up to par Gibson will be onto it in a flash.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah, you're probably right: No use in adding an extra bowler who is not really up to it. We've seen the same with Powell.
I really think it would be dangerous to play against a top side like South Africa a bowler light, Kallis, Smith and Amla could take the game away from us before we even get a bat, we MUST put them under pressure in both departments to have a chance of winning, that's why i'd promote either Pascal, Holder or Gabriel, Roach didn't have an amazing record before he was selected and he's done well, so there's no reason to think the others can't have a similar impact.

Athlai

Not Terrible
West Indies seem to have a batting outfit that has really come together but their bowling is looking atrocious. Taylor and Edwards need to get fit ASAP.