• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jenner attacks the way the English Treat Leg spin

chris.hinton

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
But not a proper bowler?

How about an admission that both flat and flighted spin have their own merits and different types suit different bowlers?

yes but what i mean by not a Proper Bowler i mean Spinner they are slow medium bowlers in effect

Craig

World Traveller
Well Warne has the ability to flight, get drift and loop the ball as well as accuracy.

Craig

World Traveller
Warne has a good action, technique and he has a lot of belief in himself and spending many hours practising. And English batsmen thinking that they cant play him after he bowls a good ball.

That Gatting ball must be the most over-rated ball ever.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Jacques Rudolph-

The Real Rudolph was coached by Jenner at a very young age and was going to be a great all-rounder but Cronje told him to bowl flat and lost it and his confidence was shattered

So Jacques (The fake one) what do you say about that

anyway the the piece with the jenner interview can be found here as Andre has deleted it (Perhaps for the right reasons)

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,782922,00.html

Langeveldt

Soutie
chris.hinton said:
Jacques Rudolph-

The Real Rudolph was coached by Jenner at a very young age and was going to be a great all-rounder but Cronje told him to bowl flat and lost it and his confidence was shattered

So Jacques (The fake one) what do you say about that

anyway the the piece with the jenner interview can be found here as Andre has deleted it (Perhaps for the right reasons)

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,782922,00.html

Hansie was an excellent player of legspin bowling, he played Warne well and demolished the mediocre Salisbury, so maybe his views on leggies were a little off..
Im not sure why it was his business telling Rudolph to do this, Im pretty sure Rudolph was at Northerns Titans and Cronje was FreeState captain, so I dont know why they were in touch... Maybe it was at age group level but i doubt it, maybe you could elaborate on this chris...

Im sure there were other factors, i fail to believe he just "lost it" because he got told to bowl flat, especially after all his coaching..
Anyway when a player loses form, or gets the "yips" bowling flat is often a better option because the bad balls are less obvious and harder to put away... Im not trying to say flighted bowling is a bad thing, quite the opposite... but there is a very valid place for flat bowling in cricket which you dont seem to appreciate..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chris.hinton said:
The Real Rudolph was coached by Jenner at a very young age and was going to be a great all-rounder
I am fascinated as to how you discovered this. Psychic ability perhaps?

Craig

World Traveller
Mr. Ponting said:
did you just say the gatting ball was overrated? tell me i'm dreaming.:wow:
I did. It was a good ball but Gatting played it poorly. On a turning wicket you dont push forward, instead you go back and cover your stumps. You cant be out LBW. He deserved every he got. Same with Gibbs.

David Sincock did a similar thing to Sobers in the 1955 tour of the West Indies by Australia and yet I bet you didnt even know who Sincock is until I mentioned him.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Jacques Rudolph said:
Hansie was an excellent player of legspin bowling, he played Warne well and demolished the mediocre Salisbury, so maybe his views on leggies were a little off..
Im not sure why it was his business telling Rudolph to do this, Im pretty sure Rudolph was at Northerns Titans and Cronje was FreeState captain, so I dont know why they were in touch... Maybe it was at age group level but i doubt it, maybe you could elaborate on this chris...

Im sure there were other factors, i fail to believe he just "lost it" because he got told to bowl flat, especially after all his coaching..
Anyway when a player loses form, or gets the "yips" bowling flat is often a better option because the bad balls are less obvious and harder to put away... Im not trying to say flighted bowling is a bad thing, quite the opposite... but there is a very valid place for flat bowling in cricket which you dont seem to appreciate..
I was told this i can not tell you any more information, people who bowl flat after bowling it with flight bowl it crap and he was the same methinks

anyway i will know more soon i think

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Craig, how did he know it was a turning wicket when he'd not seen a spinner on the pitch?
Hmmm wouldnt of the England team have discussed it?

Anyway it was a poor shot, I think with some balls you should play of the back foot to the spinners.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But that still wouldn't have helped since, there hadn't been a spinner bowl, so how did he know it was a turner!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I believe that he underestimated Warne. That's the basis for the ball being considered great- because a "run-of-the-mill" leg-spinner produced it.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
quite agree with mxy here, warne was nothing at the time, and gatting had never seen him. craig, how would you have played the ball in this situation? (presuming you didn't know how much it would turn or pitch or anything)

Craig

World Traveller
I would of played it off the back foot and tried to play it as late as possibble. If I could I would of worked it through the on side or let it hit my pads depending on height of the ball. I also would of covered my stumps to prevent myself of being bowled.