• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jenner attacks the way the English Treat Leg spin

Langeveldt

Soutie
chris.hinton said:
Rubbish mate and you know it so you are a bit of a wimp

" OH I dont wanna be hit for a six i dont wanna cry to my mommy " GROW UP MATE!!!!!!!!
Thats unbelievable coming from a nineteen year old... Your mommy should be very ashamed... I dont need to grow up thanks, and I think everyone on these boards would be glad if you grew up a bit yourself... Just ask around if you dont believe me

it does not matter if you get hit for six the next ball is a new challenge and the odds are that when you got hit for six you where meters away from a catch...... also i bet you have not been spotted by jenner becasue of bowling flat and you are unlikley to improve...... that is just the way it is
Sometimes it does matter if you get hit for six, sometimes you need to admit that there is a class batsman at the other end and that bowling flat is not an admission of failure, it is doing what is right for your team

and to say you want take 3 wickets shows you not a risk taker and therfore there is no need for you to bowl leg spin try medium pace instead you be ok then............
When did i say I dont want to take 3 wickets? 3 would be very nice thanks, but I cant expect it to happen every match... Ive seen the bull**** you speak, so I wont take up your offer on bowling medium pace thanks...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
'I don't think it's the conditions. I tell you why: because every good leg-spinner who's come here has been successful - so it can't be the conditions. It's the attitude. They say, "leg-spinners can't bowl on these pitches, they're too slow." Rubbish. You just bowl further up to the bat.'

From Jenner and marc Listen to him for once
Every good leg spinner has had more regular spinning conditions to practice in - not just July and August on a couple of grounds.

"Every good leg-spinner who's come here has been successful"

This statement proves nothing anyway, it's kind of difficult to be good without being successful.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
you guys should post a poll saying, "if you were a leg spinner, would you rather take 10-1-30-1 or 10-0-60-3?" results would be interesting. :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Perhaps, but i underatand Jenner and the way he pretichs leg spin and the way about it

Facts of course there are no world class English Spinners but the Conditions are there because Good Spinners can turn it on ice and that is a fact?

But listen to Jenner he is right he knows all about leg spin He bowled it himself

MARC get a Reality check
Jenner knows so much does he?

So how come he's only got one world class protege (who would've made it without much help due to his immense natural talent)

And how come he never practised what he preached ?

But I'm the one who needs to get a reality check eh?

Spinner who can turn it on ice - that'll be Warne and Murali then, both unique in their own way, and one of them is an offie.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Rubbish mate and you know it so you are a bit of a wimp

" OH I dont wanna be hit for a six i dont wanna cry to my mommy " GROW UP MATE!!!!!!!!
The irony makes me chuckle...

chris.hinton said:
it does not matter if you get hit for six the next ball is a new challenge and the odds are that when you got hit for six you where meters away from a catch......
Erm, from the sixes I've seen recently off spinners, the only catches that are remotely possible are from the crowd.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:

Good spinners can turn it on ice but they need help in their development years in more conducive circumstances.
But Neil we have a group of about 16 superb teenage leg spinners who should all be in the Test side already, and the wickets are clearly not the problem, as shown by the figures of the world class leggies when they play county cricket (average c.30)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
What i mean is that why bowl flat spin when you can go Flighted instead
Erm, for a start in seamer friendly conditions it blocks up an end and frustrates the batsmen so that the seamers at the other end can bowl the real wicket-taking deliveries which the conditions demand.

Cricket is a team sport, and as a team player, the bowler who bowls to order and helps his team is worth 10 of the individual who tosses it up because some ancient ex-con says so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
'I don't think it's the conditions. I tell you why: because every good leg-spinner who's come here has been successful - so it can't be the conditions.
From my examination of these "good leg-spinners" figures in County Cricket, it appears that there's only ever been one good leg-spinner in that case.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. Ponting said:
you guys should post a poll saying, "if you were a leg spinner, would you rather take 10-1-30-1 or 10-0-60-3?" results would be interesting. :D
If it was Chris Schofield (another great leg-spinner of recent times?) we'd have to put in an extra option - "what does bowling 10 overs in a season feel like?"

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
If it was Chris Schofield (another great leg-spinner of recent times?) we'd have to put in an extra option - "what does bowling 10 overs in a season feel like?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
I think all wrist spinners (leg spinners) and finger spinners (off spinners) should try and flight the ball above the batsmen's ey line, by doing that it increases your chances of getting a wicket and being more accurate and that is according to the great Bill O'Reilly and I believe he knew more about wrist spin as does Benaud, Warne, and Jenner.

Having your arm not above the prepemdictlar (spelling) will allow you to get more turn, drift and loop, bowling into the wind helps.

So I see every point in flighting the ball.

chris.hinton

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Erm, for a start in seamer friendly conditions it blocks up an end and frustrates the batsmen so that the seamers at the other end can bowl the real wicket-taking deliveries which the conditions demand.

Cricket is a team sport, and as a team player, the bowler who bowls to order and helps his team is worth 10 of the individual who tosses it up because some ancient ex-con says so.
With the Hot Weather it not so seamer friendly is it? there are some turning wickets and there is better equipment for groundsman to make it a good track

Bowlers can bowl what they want, but the real bowlers are risk takers.... bowlers who filght up and get for six and do it again the same type of ball and then gets a wicket

An ex-con (Jenner) is not ancient and that is a terrible thing to say, and show you are losing

chris.hinton

International Captain
Craig said:
I think all wrist spinners (leg spinners) and finger spinners (off spinners) should try and flight the ball above the batsmen's ey line, by doing that it increases your chances of getting a wicket and being more accurate and that is according to the great Bill O'Reilly and I believe he knew more about wrist spin as does Benaud, Warne, and Jenner.

Having your arm not above the prepemdictlar (spelling) will allow you to get more turn, drift and loop, bowling into the wind helps.

So I see every point in flighting the ball.
i do too.... it makes sense that people should listen to Jenner, Warne and Benaud as they no more about Wrist-spin more then some english people do.....

chris.hinton

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Jenner knows so much does he?

So how come he's only got one world class protege (who would've made it without much help due to his immense natural talent)

And how come he never practised what he preached ?

But I'm the one who needs to get a reality check eh?

Spinner who can turn it on ice - that'll be Warne and Murali then, both unique in their own way, and one of them is an offie.
Jenner knows a lot, i listen to him speak and he is Correct in every way. Warne was on the decline aged 19 before Jenner got hold of him...

Jenner did but was never good enough

Spinners get turn THOUGH THE AIR... so flighted spin is better

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
With the Hot Weather it not so seamer friendly is it? there are some turning wickets and there is better equipment for groundsman to make it a good track
This summer it is hot, but that is the exception not the rule.

chris.hinton said:
Bowlers can bowl what they want, but the real bowlers are risk takers
Right, so the likes of Pollock and McGrath, who don't take risks, aren't real bowlers?

chris.hinton said:
An ex-con (Jenner) is not ancient and that is a terrible thing to say, and show you are losing
Erm, you're the one who resorted to name-calling.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Jacques Rudolph said:
Thats unbelievable coming from a nineteen year old... Your mommy should be very ashamed... I dont need to grow up thanks, and I think everyone on these boards would be glad if you grew up a bit yourself... Just ask around if you dont believe me

Sometimes it does matter if you get hit for six, sometimes you need to admit that there is a class batsman at the other end and that bowling flat is not an admission of failure, it is doing what is right for your team

When did i say I dont want to take 3 wickets? 3 would be very nice thanks, but I cant expect it to happen every match... Ive seen the bull**** you speak, so I wont take up your offer on bowling medium pace thanks...

ok but try and flight it up a bit in the next match if you get natural turn then it will be diffecult to hit.... try it in one match and come back and to me and tell me what you did... it will be a hell of a lot better as you will turn the ball away from the right hander

chris.hinton

International Captain
marc71178 said:
This summer it is hot, but that is the exception not the rule.

Right, so the likes of Pollock and McGrath, who don't take risks, aren't real bowlers?

Erm, you're the one who resorted to name-calling.
It is you just dont understand when the Leg spin Guru says it NOT the conditions you dont listen.... and yet he is correct and you just hate leggies and get excited over flat spin?

ok namecalling is not the way but i would like to meet you one day and we can discuss this man to man

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is the conditions.

The places England play in mean that we need seamers more than spinners.

Hence we teach more seam bowling than spin.

Andre

International Regular
chris.hinton said:
Spinners get turn THOUGH THE AIR... so flighted spin is better
What a load of codswallop.

No spinner has EVER gotten spin through the air - it is a physical impossibility. This would be known as swing, or drift.

The main aim of flight is to fool the batsman into thinking that the ball will pitch at a differant place/length on the wicket. So ideally, it becomes a tool in outfoxing a batsman and if a spinner chooses to neglect it (ie. Kumble) it is still possible to be successful with the amount of turn gained off the pitch.

And before you attack me, I've bowled leg-spin for 9 years now - I'd like to think I have some idea of what I am talking about.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Good point, Andre - Anil Kumble, the only leggie to take a 10-fer in Test Cricket - bowls it flatter than most.

"Bowlers can bowl what they want, but the real bowlers are risk takers.... bowlers who filght up and get for six and do it again the same type of ball and then gets a wicket"

Makes very little sense... implies that Harmison's a real bowler and Pollock isn't..

Could you please respond to points made rather that restating and requoting.

1) No one is disputing that flighted spin can be a potent weapon, but you seem to have the opinion that flat spin is a waste of time when history has proven time and again that it isn't.

2) What is the point in going all out to get a wonderful leggie when conditions here are on balance more conducive to swing and seam - we need swing bowlers and seamers far more often..

Mushtaq Ahmed's CC figures
71 @ 25, 8 @ 38 and 14 @ 29... 93 @ 27.06

Paul Strang's CC figures
31 @ 32.71

Shane Warne's CC figures
70 @ 23.14

Warne is brilliant, but the others are not that spectacular, are they? Which other leggies have had any success here?

Looking at Wisden, 2001's CC bowling averages had leggies at 2 (Mushtaq with Pak), 6 (Warne with Aus), 122 (Salisbury, Surrey), 124 (Shahid Afridi with Leics/MCC) and 141 (Schofield, Lancs). There were 146 in the list.

And MacGill got absolutely mullered this week by Surrey at Whitgift School.