• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can NZ cricket ever recover?

Can NZ Cricket recover in next 20 years and be feared side for good duration of time?

• Total voters

Maximus0723

State Regular
NZ is probably my second favorite team after India. Though its sad to see them getting their butts kicked all the time. Other then Sir Hadlee, they have nothing to cheer.

They cant win major tournys or tests. Their batting is very inconsistent. Only one in their team who is reliable is Dan.

They didn't have many good test batsman. Crowe was probably their best who still falls in third tier or lower when compared to greats.

Can NZ cricket ever recover and be top 3 side in Tests or ODI for good duration of time?

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pretty sure we're comfortably 4th in the world at ODIs now, when Ryder and Mills return we might challenge the top 3.

Tests? Na.

Flem274*

123/5
NZ is probably my second favorite team after India. Though its sad to see them getting their butts kicked all the time. Other then Sir Hadlee, they have nothing to cheer.

They cant win major tournys or tests. Their batting is very inconsistent. Only one in their team who is reliable is Dan.

Only good test batsman they ever had was Crowe. Who still falls in third tier or lower when compared to greats.

Can NZ cricket ever recover and be top 3 side in Tests or ODI for good duration of time?
Oh dear.

Yes, I believe we can. We don't need much to be competitve, and there's a few guys running around with world class potential (I stress the world potential) rather than just one or two. If they're nutured correctly then I believe we can make a challenge.

But thats just the thing, some of the coaching stories you hear about the NZ academy are terrifying...

Teja.

Global Moderator

Only good test batsman they ever had was Crowe. Who still falls in third tier or lower when compared to greats.

That's an overstatement. Only brilliant test batsmen they have had in the last 30 years is Crowe is a more correct statement.

Maximus0723

State Regular
That's an overstatement. Only brilliant test batsmen they have had in the last 30 years is Crowe is a more correct statement.
I guess that's what I meant.

Thought brilliant in their own sense.

Edited the original post.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very true. Andrew Jones, Stephen Fleming and Mark Richardson were all worthy of the label "good test batsman", IMO.

Ross Taylor might be heading that way too, and hopefully Ryder will join him.

The lack of penetrative bowling options in Tests at the moment worries me though.

Flem274*

123/5
I would like to hear them.
Brent Arnel was a promising young fast bowler back in the day.

One day he complained of back pain.

The academy diagnosis was he was imagining it and needed to harden up.

Look at the speeds Arnel clocks these days to see what happened. :p

In the tour thread Hurricane (I think) mentioned that the academy seems to have this notion that at test level you need to hustle in and whack it in to get good players out. Swing bowling is neglected.

Then there's the fiddling with players actions, like Southee's. Thats not so much the academy as the coaching environment in general, but you see the point..

Flem274*

123/5
Very true. Andrew Jones, Stephen Fleming and Mark Richardson were all worthy of the label "good test batsman", IMO.

Ross Taylor might be heading that way too, and hopefully Ryder will join him.

The lack of penetrative bowling options in Tests at the moment worries me though.
Nathan Astle too imo. Chris Cairns for a large sum of his career had a batting average in the 40s too iirc.

EDIT: Styris and Oram before injury said hi were quite good, then there's Dan the Man.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah we're going to have some professional bowling and keep good tight lines but we won't trouble the top batting teams.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed. There were a couple of world class batsmen back in the days that we had no chance of winning a test. You need more than a couple of bats to win a game.

Stewie Dempster | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
Martin Donnelly | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

I'm mostly worried about the bowling stocks. I think there's some decent batsmen coming through, but any decent bowling prospects seem to end up on the physio's bench.

Flem274*

123/5
Trent Boult probably the epitome of it.

EDIT: Quietly smirking that CD, who always get mocked for their attack having no talent, have Ben Wheeler, Bevan Small, Adam Milne and Doug Bracewell as their youngsters in the ranks. :p

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Recover from where they are now? I'd like to think New Zealand can, it will take a while however.

What New Zealand cricket have to do is set something up for the fast bowlers coming through, whether that's setting up a lot more A tours, or sending them away on some sort of bowling camp in another country, I have no idea. But they have too have them bowling in different conditions during the winter as bowling in practice nets isn't going to do anyone any good.

I've seen quite a lot of domestic cricket this summer and New Zealand does have some talent coming through, problem is it's about 2/3 years away from being international quality I spose (not standard).

Flem274*

123/5
Recover from where they are now? I'd like to think New Zealand can, it will take a while however.

What New Zealand cricket have to do is set something up for the fast bowlers coming through, whether that's setting up a lot more A tours, or sending them away on some sort of bowling camp in another country, I have no idea. But they have too have them bowling in different conditions during the winter as bowling in practice nets isn't going to do anyone any good.

I've seen quite a lot of domestic cricket this summer and New Zealand does have some talent coming through, problem is it's about 2/3 years away from being international quality I spose (not standard).
AWTA.

There's a huge gap in the 25-30 year old age bracket of good players at the domestic level. Broom and Stewart are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

All the Craig Cummings and Kane Willamsons are scoring the runs and the Michael Masons and the Tim Southees are taking the wickets.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Roll your eyes all you want. The sad truth is that no New Zealand team in history has ever been better than quite good. Even in 85/86 when the Hadlee team was at its peak, they still were only a distant 3rd best in the world (and that was when South Africa was banned).

Still it would be nice to get back to being consistently competitive again. Don't see it happening anytime in the next 2 years though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Too many teams in the ****ter (test wise) right now. Pakistan, WI (albeit sometimes they're okay) and NZ. It's depressing.

Then you have Bangladesh not winning any tests.