• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Career Averages that dont do justice

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you want me to go back through your posts selecting all the ones that hint at how hard done you are by those mean racist posters? Because I gladly will too prove it.

And I do apply it to batsmen universally. Like before, I mentioned Pontings record in India as a severe blight on his career.
Did I point the finger at you mate? I said "some members". Obviously you could wear the hat if it fits.

Xuhaib

International Coach
wtf ben,

when was the last time Aus actually prepared a genuine seamer?

Tracks in Aus are some of the best batting tracks in the world.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Then it's not a uniform green top. It is a patched-green top, and that is regarded as a bad wicket. But the inconsistent bounce of a dust bowl is inherent.

And lateral deviation of spin takes place closer to the eyes than in fast bowling. If you have any experience playing spin off the pitch and you are honest enough to admit it, you'll know that reaction time does not differ much with a fast bowler.
Yes, which means that the batsman has more time to think about it and that their initial movement isn't as crucial as what it is when you're facing pace bowling on a greentop.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
wtf ben,

when was the last time Aus actually prepared a genuine seamer?

Tracks in Aus are some of the best batting tracks in the world.
Sydney. You'd think being a Pakistani supporter that you'd realise this or are you too busy trying to remove that your match from your memory?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Did I point the finger at you mate? I said "some members". Obviously you could wear the hat if it fits.
when your having a discussion with someone and use general terms like "Some people in this forum are biased like hell" how do you expect the other person to interpret this. My argument isn't a new one and its applied by a lot of people towards a lot of batsmen - Hayden: Flat Tracks for another e.g.

No need to get so sensitive because I'm criticising a player for usually only doing well on sub-continent wickets but not other tracks. It runs both ways. Like for bowlers/batsmen who struggle(d) in subcontinent conditions but performed well on other tracks. They receive the same criticism.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
And you ironically ignore the variable bounce factor on a greentop. I can tell you from experience, it's allot easier to face a spinner on a pitch with variable bounce then it is facing a quick bowler on a pitch with variable bounce.
Equally difficult IMO. In fact, personally, when I always opened the batting I struggled against good spinners more so than good pace bowlers.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I was surprised that up until a couple of years ago VVS Laxman's average was only just above 40. Amazing for a player of such natural talent.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
when your having a discussion with someone and use general terms like "Some people in this forum are biased like hell" how do you expect the other person to interpret this. My argument isn't a new one and its applied by a lot of people towards a lot of batsmen - Hayden: Flat Tracks for another e.g.

No need to get so sensitive because I'm criticising a player for usually only doing well on sub-continent wickets but not other tracks. It runs both ways. Like for bowlers/batsmen who struggle(d) in subcontinent conditions but performed well on other tracks. They receive the same criticism.
In your case I would say you are fair in the criticism. But there are some who aren't. No hard feelings with you, and I was sarcastic not sensitive right through out this session. :laugh:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
In your case I would say you are fair in the criticism. But there are some who aren't. No hard feelings with you, and I was sarcastic not sensitive right through out this session. :laugh:
Can we hug it out over a big bowl of curry

:ph34r: What ? My uncle owns three Indian restaurants.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Equally difficult IMO. In fact, personally, when I always opened the batting I struggled against good spinners more so than good pace bowlers.
But have you noticed that the best spinners have always been humbled by the best batsman? Ie Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting murdering Warne & Murali but never really consistently getting ontop of the likes of McGrath and co?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
But have you noticed that the best spinners have always been humbled by the best batsman? Ie Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting murdering Warne & Murali but never really consistently getting ontop of the likes of McGrath and co?
yes but a lot more batsmen have spent their whole careers being completely bamboozled and owned by spinners.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wtf. Another **** post from someone who trolls every thread crying poor about how everyone is against the sub-continent and that Australian posters are inherently racist and biased, despite the point I'm trying to make which is a valid one - that batsmen with high career averages gained from one type of track, typically the one prevalent at home, while failing at others, do not deserve their career average. Almost every thread you speak in involves some sort of racial mention and its ****ing useless.
Totally uncalled for Got_Spin. Play the post and not the poster, and if you have a problem with it, report it instead of taking matters into your own hands.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
yes but a lot more batsmen have spent their whole careers being completely bamboozled and owned by spinners.
Not really, that's why there have only been fewer spinners that have averaged mid-low 20's in comparison to pace bowlers.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not really, that's why there have only been fewer spinners that have averaged mid-low 20's in comparison to pace bowlers.
Quality > Quantity though. However, a problem spinners face is that they often, unless one of the best, need spin conducive surfaces. And there just aren't that many. Plus I suppose pace bowlers have that physical intimidation factor

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Totally uncalled for Got_Spin. Play the post and not the poster, and if you have a problem with it, report it instead of taking matters into your own hands.
Didn't see you guys do anything. It wasn't a specific post but Migara frequently posts with the air of someone who is constantly been persecuted and that is simply not true.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Quality > Quantity though. However, a problem spinners face is that they often, unless one of the best, need spin conducive surfaces. And there just aren't that many. Plus I suppose pace bowlers have that physical intimidation factor
Quality > Quantity? Warne was more then less dominated by Lara and Tendulkar whilst McGrath pretty much got the better of both of them.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yeah he'd probably average 65 if his entire career was played in the subcontient. His record outside the subcontient gives a better indication. Still good, but not a world beater.
Would average 60 if he played in Australia all his cricket. Same as Ponting :ph34r:

Last edited: