• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Cricketers - CW's Favorite Cricketer

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Weirdly I don't really have strong feelings about any of this quartet, Sir Len included. I'm sure that had I been a boy growing up at any time from the late '30s to the early '50s he would have been an absolute hero of mine, but that's not the case.

I've gone for Flower as my "favourite" of the 4 because I know him a little better in that I've seen and heard interviews with him. I find him an incredibly impressive indivdual: tough but intelligent, thoughtful, articulate and thought-provoking. And the stand he took against Mugabe demands respect. A great player too although that doesn't distinguish him from the others of course.

No disrepect to Kumble either who's a champion and also by all accounts one of the nicest men in the game.
Hard to argue with any of that - he's a class act, no question. :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I saw you'd posted here and assumed there'd be a long-overdue vote for Sir Len. Genuinely suprised to see otherwise!
Well there's a couple of things. It was partly a tactical vote to get the Aussie out :ph34r:

And there's also the fact that I am quite fond of what Flower has done with our team of late

Throw in the rest, and there's my vote

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think Kumble deserves to be beaten by as much as it looks like he will be, top player and a top guy from all reports.
Have huge respect for Flower though, for his stand against the Zimbabwean government and his work with the England side, primarily the former though.

Tactical vote for Kumble as it seems Flower will win anyway and I want Kumble to secure 2nd spot.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hate to be unoriginal but it has to be Flower. Extremely likeable as a player and I don't think he gets enough credit for the job he's done with England as a coach.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bradman

Then Hutton

then Flower

then Kumble.

Kumble would have been second for me in this group until he became Patron Saint of Hypocrisy last time he toured here. Thought he was a great bowler.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This is an interesting exercise as I dont get what is so likable with Flower? An education to see this level of support

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is an interesting exercise as I dont get what is so likable with Flower? An education to see this level of support
Probably something to do with being the best player by far from his country, as well the very ballsy stand he took at the 2003 WC. I didn't vote for him but I get why people would.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Probably something to do with being the best player by far from his country, as well the very ballsy stand he took at the 2003 WC. I didn't vote for him but I get why people would.
Yeah, without boring people on here for the umpteenth time, I have a slightly different and more sceptical view of the 2003 WC stance. I get your other point that he was an amazing player for an average team and that is impressive.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There was also a bit of romanticism about him, being a world-class player amongst an ordinary side, who carried the team a fair bit throughout his time.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
A tougher battle for me than the first one. I'd have liked to vote for Flower or Hutton but can't go past The Don.