• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Masters of the Slower Delivery

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Given the IPL Twenty20 is currently undeway, now is a good time to ask the posters on CricketWeb the following:

Just who is the best bowler of the slower ball in world cricket?

Do some bowlers possibly overuse the delivery? Which pace-bowlers lack a good slower delivery? Perhaps you can suggest a bowler from a previous era who possessed a superior slower delivery.

Despite being a very average pace bowler, I have always found Dilhara Fernando to possess the most awesome slower delivery. Made so many good batsman look rather foolish, something his stock deliveries are largely incapable of doing.

Just to add, it wouldn't be a slower ball thread without the following YouTube - Chris Read

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What Twenty20 has shown is the requirement to have more than one type of slower ball to be successful. It's why Victoria wouldn't play Siddle in their first choice Twenty20 line-up.

Rana Naved's effort where he manages to bowl a wrong'un is awesome.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah best thing about Cairns was that he had 4 or so variations of the slower ball he could whip out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cairns also had one completely conventional slower-ball and what I often call the seemer-Beamer (i.e., it seems like it's going to be a Beamer then turns-out to be a Yorker), which is an incredibly difficult ball to bowl.

Dilhara Fernando has what I'd say is the best disguise of the slower-ball - his slower-ball is, for all intents and purposes, impossible to pick out of the hand so your only chance is to pick it as it's on its way down, which is damn difficult. I've seen more batsmen fooled by the Fernando slower-ball than anyone else - which is odd, because apart from that slower-ball he doesn't have a lot to recommend him. Amazing that a bowler who's inferior to so many in most respects has the wood on anyone in that one.

Ian Harvey's was also excellently disguised - bowled out of the back of the hand. Stephen Harmison's is one of the worst-disguised I've ever seen - he actually slows the arm down - and I've never seen any batsman fail to pick that out of the hand.

As for is it over-used - yes, hopelessly so by some bowlers, and Harvey was one of the worst culprits, which again is something of an irony. Many bowlers over-use a change-up ball, and the slower-ball is no different.

That was another thing that impressed me about Cairns - not only did he have two completely different slower-balls, he was a master of when to use them. In terms of a complete package with the slower-ball, I can't look past him.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Franklyn Stephenson was one of the pioneers of the slower ball, especially in limited overs stuff, UIMM.

Have to say I'm a fan of the slower bouncer that seems to be becoming more popular. No real reason why, maybe just because it can make batsmen look a bit silly.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just to add, it wouldn't be a slower ball thread without the following YouTube - Chris Read
What many are less aware of is that Graham Thorpe, who fell victim in that same game to the conventional Cairns slower-ball, was duped in exactly the same way as Read in 1999 by Courtney Walsh on his comeback Test (that is, Thorpe's comeback) in 2000. Walsh hardly ever bowled the slower-ball all career, but brought it out of the hat in that last year.

Cairns, BTW, had learned that particular slower-ball from Franklyn Stephenson, who apparently achieved a similar dismisssal in the C&G (it was Gillette in those days) Cup final at some point in the early-1980s, might've been 1983. To my knowledge, there is no remaining footage of that anywhere. EDIT: apparently the batsman was Brian Hardie.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Franklyn Stephenson was one of the pioneers of the slower ball, especially in limited overs stuff, UIMM.
Not the slower-ball itself as such, that's been around about as long as the Googly or the Arm-ball, but that particular ball which looks like it's going to be a Beamer and turns-out a Yorker was something I don't think anyone has ever noted had been bowled before him.

Even since him precious few have ever mastered it. As I say, it's incredibly hard. I've tried it myself a few times (not with a batsman actually facing, of course) and I can't do it for the life of me. Shoaib Akhtar has tried it a fair few times and has several times ended-up bowling a high Beamer, which even at 74mph (which is slow by his standards) is deadly.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Franklyn Stephenson was sussed very quickly. Not least because he bowled Brian Hardie with it in the opeing overs of a One-Day County final. Hardie looked a bit of a prawn ducking under a good length ball that hit middle stump but Stephenson was never effective with it again.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Shoaib Akhtar had a particularly good slower ball IIRC, which appeared to come out of the hand like a saucer and dip very late on the batsmen. Think he bowled 4 in a row to Michael Vaughan in a Test match, Vaughan played and missed at all 4.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In that same series he also Beamed Ian Bell twice in the same game and could easily have been taken out of the attack.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fanie de Villiers had a very good slower ball, often got Tendulkar out with it.

Shabbir Ahmed also had a good one.

Himannv

International Coach
Dilhara probably had one of the best slower deliveries as it was almost impossible to pick. Wish he was a bit smarter with the rest of his bowling though.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Astle and Harris bowled some pretty good ones in their day, but I imagine if you bowl them every single time it's pretty easy to pick them. ;)

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Franklyn Stephenson was sussed very quickly. Not least because he bowled Brian Hardie with it in the opeing overs of a One-Day County final. Hardie looked a bit of a prawn ducking under a good length ball that hit middle stump but Stephenson was never effective with it again.
Umm not quite.
Franklyn had a very good Limited Overs record playing for the then Orange Free State(Hansie's domestic team).
Remember him getting many batsmen out with the slower delivery in the SA B&H competition.
Very good at deceiving the batsmen.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Cairns also had one completely conventional slower-ball and what I often call the seemer-Beamer (i.e., it seems like it's going to be a Beamer then turns-out to be a Yorker), which is an incredibly difficult ball to bowl.
Yes, three fingers and deep in the hand, IIRC - must give that one a try in pre season. The key is to get no backwards rotation on the ball, so it will simply die on the batsman. My method of doing this has been to bowl a leg break slower ball with rotations going directly sideways, but **** me it is hard to control.

Dilhara Fernando has what I'd say is the best disguise of the slower-ball - his slower-ball is, for all intents and purposes, impossible to pick out of the hand so your only chance is to pick it as it's on its way down, which is damn difficult. I've seen more batsmen fooled by the Fernando slower-ball than anyone else - which is odd, because apart from that slower-ball he doesn't have a lot to recommend him. Amazing that a bowler who's inferior to so many in most respects has the wood on anyone in that one.
Isn't his, the split finger one?

Stephen Harmison's is one of the worst-disguised I've ever seen - he actually slows the arm down - and I've never seen any batsman fail to pick that out of the hand.
I'm convinced he just couldn't be arsed to bowl the final ball of the day to Michael Clarke and so just dobbed one down at 70mph.

As for is it over-used - yes, hopelessly so by some bowlers, and Harvey was one of the worst culprits, which again is something of an irony. Many bowlers over-use a change-up ball, and the slower-ball is no different.
Simply impossible to judge the appropriate amount to use it though. I recall Clint McKay bowling a spell where four out of six were slower balls and the 'quicker one' would pretty much always be twatted by Tendulkar and co.