• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst day as a Fan

Cruxdude

International Debutant
There have been days when after seeing my team do well I keep thinking back about the game and have a stupid smile on my face for a few days. There have also been days when I just couldn't look back at the game. Felt horrible for days afterwards. Have you ever felt like that? What would be your best and worst days as a fan?

Mine would be

Best:

The desert storm match and the finals afterwards.
The T20 finals.
vs Pakistan 2003 WC

All of these were pretty awesome days. Sachin being divine and India winning a WC. What more could I ask for.

Worst:

Against Sri Lanka 1996 WC. First time I understood Sachin wasn't invincible. I didn't understand cricket much then and thought that it was some divine right of India's to win the WC.

Against Sri Lanka 2007 WC. The Indian team for the WC was a very strong one (at least on paper) and I had high hopes on them. The Bangla match I put down to over confidence and was quietly confident that India would rise to the occasion against Sri Lanka and get into the next round. India lost and Sachin scored 0. A really bad day. Didn't open cricinfo for a long time after that game.

vs Pakistan Chennai 1999. I was at the stadium and dancing on the chairs when Sachin was batting and then a ridiculous collapse.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
two of favourite moments took place a week apart.

Hampshire v Warwickshire in the 2005 Friends provident trophy final, was at Lords to watch Hampshire win a trophy for the first time since 1992 and the first in my memory then the obvious ashes, not live at that game but an amazing day, The Champainge came out as soon as my Dad got home.

2000 at Lords and West Indies out for 54 is also worth a mention, was 12 at the time but not sure I will ever see a more amazing days cricket no matter how many tests I go to.

Worst I am not sure, seen countless Hampshire collapses , final against Durham a couple was pretty flat as well.
England have obviously produced fair few shockers down the years as well but I tend to find them amusing after a while but will always remember poor old Ramps trying to come down the pitch to Warney and getting stumped, no idea why he had to be one of my favourite players when I was young.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Best:
Ind vs Zim 83 WC--Wasn't born
Ind vs WI 83 WC---Wasn't born
Ind vs Pak 96 WC
Ind vs Pak 03 WC
T20 WC final
Sachin's 200

Worst:
Ind vs SL 96 Semis
Ind vs Pak 99 Chennai Test
Ind vs BL 07
Ind vs SL 07
Ind vs Aus Clarke's over test

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best:
Last day of the Oval Test '99
Chris Cairns taking 7-27 against WI at Hamilton in 99-00
NZ's chase of 345 against Australia at Hamilton to win the CH Trophy 3-0 in 2007.

Worst:
WC semi '99
WC semi '07

vcs

Great thread.

Best moments :

2001 series vs. Australia as a whole, simply awesome. Screamed myself hoarse with a huge bunch of hostel-mates watching on TV as Bhajji and Dighe got the winning runs. :D
India vs. Pakistan WC '03 and '96.
Chennai 2008 against England chasing 387 in the 4th innings.
The Desert Storm series win and the CB Series in Australia '08.
Pretty much any overseas Test win/series win for India.

Worst moments :

India vs. SL in WC '96 by a country mile.
India vs. Pak. Chennai '99 and India vs. Australia Sydney '08.
'03 WC Final hurt, but we were well beaten by a great team.
Didn't really give a damn about the WC '07 exit, had a feeling it was coming. It proved to be a blessing in disguise in the form of a reality check for Indian cricket.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Best moment,
9 March 1996
India vs Pakistan @ Bangalore-ODI

Aamer Sohail in full flow slices Venkatesh Prasad expertly to the boundary and asks him to 'go fetch' the ball. The next ball Prasad bowls a beauty and Sohail attempts the same shot and his off stump is uprooted, Prasad says 'Go home you ****ing bastard' (This I found out later). I'm not overly patriotic but this moment, this one moment nationalistic pride exploded in me. By far my best moment as a cricket fan. The day too was full of epic moments, Jadeja mutilating Waqar and the Pakistan batting collapsing after a dream of a start.

Worst day,

WC Final 2003,

Zaheer runs up to bowl a wide for the first ball, the rest as they say is history. :dry:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Worst:
Sydney 09-was going through some rough time personally so cricket was one thing that was keeping my mind distracted then Kamran Akmal happened.:@

Best:
Karachi test vs india in 06 saw ball to ball at the stadium saw the Pathan hatrick followed by Kamran Akmal's fightback then brillance of Asif was just unmatched,

Incidently both my best and worst moment have Kamran Akmal playing a significant role.

pasag

RTDAS
Best was the final day Adelaide 06, still remember jumping up and down. May or may not have cried.

Worst was a bit random, the following Cb series which we lost. I don't know why I took it so hardly, but I was shattered. Running to the G to see Ponting get out on 99 last year was pretty heartbreaking as well.

Sir Alex

Banned
The Indepenence Cup 1998 where we chased down 316 in literal darkness was such an awesome moment. Remember me and my father doing an instant african firedance following that. It was so awesome that for a moment a father and a son were transformed into two compeltely at abandon fans cheering like there is no tomorrow.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
As an England fan-

- Harmison taking Kaspo's wicket in Birmingham 2005. Unbelievably tense. I watched in horror as the Aussies ran the score down in a game that we seemed to have dominated.

- Giles scoring the winning runs at Trent Bridge a few week later. We were set a modest 129 to win but Shane Warne looked like he was going to win the match on his own.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Worst may well have been waking up to Adelaide day 5 in 2006, but there's far too many to choose from. Closing at 40 for 8 (or whatever it was) on the way to 46ao at Trinidad in 1994 was right down there.

Best? I really enjoyed Hoggard bowling out SA in the 4th test in 2004/05, following Tresco's wonderful batting. Last day at Trent Bridge in 2005 springs to mind, or last day at the Oval that year. To reclaim the urn after 16 years of being stuffed was very special indeed.

vcs

The Independence Cup chase and the Natwest Trophy win in 2002 were pretty epic as well.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Best day as a Fan:

1. NZ winning against India in the final of Champions Trophy 2000.
2. NZ beating South Africa in WC 2003
3. India tour to NZ in 2003. NZ beats India 5-2 in ODI's , 2-0 in tests
4. NZ winning chapple hadlee 3-0 in 2007
5. Jadeja hitting Waquar Younis for 23 runs in one over vs Pak in a WC match in Bangalore
6. Shane Bond taking 6 wickets vs Aus in WC 2003

Worst Day as a fan:
1. Ind vs Srl in 1996 WC semifinal
2. NZ losing to Aus in Champions Trophy final in 2009

King Pietersen

International Captain
Best:

Basically all of the 2005 Ashes after the 1st Test, especially KP's 158 and the whole Edgbaston Test
Flintoff's spell and that whole Test at Lords in 2009
Broad's spell at The Oval in 09
The ODi game against NZ when KP first brought out the Switch Hit, was such a great innings

Worst:

Almost every day of the 06/07 Ashes
Day 4 of the West Indies vs England Test at Kingston in 09