• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst day as a Fan

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
If you read again you'll see that I said my favourite moment was the day we won, but just hearing of all those wickets on day three had me buzzing. But my sincere apologies for being employed :p
Must have hurt not being able to watch live your favourite cricketing moment as a fan :)

Besides, some of us are just making a transition between careers right now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Must have hurt not being able to watch live your favourite cricketing moment as a fan :)

I was meant to have the whole of that Test off. But my company won a new contract, and as the geezer responsible for all the training, I basically had no choice but to cancel my holidays and go down to London. As I say, the final day with Flintoff running Ponting out topped it for me - though had I watched Broad's spell that may have come first. Interestingly enough I also managed to miss Flintoff's magic over at Edgbaston live!

As for the employed bit - I wasn't making a dig at you or anything, have no idea re your employment status

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I guess best and worst day in the question refers purely to my happiest and saddest feelings as a cricket fan... (And not the importance of the win or loss to the team I supported)

Incidentally both took place in Eden Gardens, Calcutta. And I was present in the stadium on both occasions. Feelings get magnified when you are watching from the gallery I believe (and that too with 100,000 cricket crazy people around you).

Best: When Laxman, Dravid (and Harbhajan?) won that test against Autralia following-on in 2001. That's probably not the best test win India has had (especially as we had 2 spectacular wins against the Aussies in away matches recently). Neither was it the best series win we've had. But it was the most miraculous last 2 days in a test for India. And more importantly, my best feelings as a fan.

Worst: When we lost helplessly to Sri Lanka in that 1996 WC semi-final. I know it was a ODI afterall. But the way Indian batting line-up succumbed to the pressure after Sachin got out for 65 was heart-breaking. They lost some 7 wickets for 20-odd runs in that all important game. The way the cricket crazy spectators reacted in Eden Gardens was more shocking. I saw some old people burning paper, plastic, jerseys, flags and part of the gallery beside me. I wanted to stop them, but they wouldn't listen. I was quite young then, I was 11-12 years old. And the experience left a sad feeling on me for days...

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I was meant to have the whole of that Test off. But my company won a new contract, and as the geezer responsible for all the training, I basically had no choice but to cancel my holidays and go down to London. As I say, the final day with Flintoff running Ponting out topped it for me - though had I watched Broad's spell that may have come first. Interestingly enough I also managed to miss Flintoff's magic over at Edgbaston live!

As for the employed bit - I wasn't making a dig at you or anything, have no idea re your employment status
That was a devastating run out. Almost cried. But I'm too much of a man for that.

Yeah I'm just mucking round. Though make sure not to get selective memory syndrome like all the other English fans and media when the ashes comes here in November.

To be fair, I am unemployed :p But thats mainly because I'm still a cripple.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I had the stupidity to go to school on the last day of 2005, got back for the end of course but cannot believe I did not skip it, was in my last year and could have easily gotten away with it. Ridiculous.

Missed the 4th day of the Edgbaston test as well, was watching Shaun Udal bowl Gloucestershire out instead at some posh school ground.

They were basically the only two days of the whole thing I missed though, however that small series that took place in 2006/7 though, did not even see a single ball. may as well not even have happened.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I had the stupidity to go to school on the last day of 2005, got back for the end of course but cannot believe I did not skip it, was in my last year and could have easily gotten away with it. Ridiculous.

Missed the 4th day of the Edgbaston test as well, was watching Shaun Udal bowl Gloucestershire out instead at some posh school ground.

They were basically the only two days of the whole thing I missed though, however that small series that took place in 2006/7 though, did not even see a single ball. may as well not even have happened.
:laugh:

I had just started Year 12 when the 2006/2007 series began. Each classroom had a TV in it and because the series was so popular here all the teachers, except the odd one, allowed us have the TV on the cricket with the volume on mute. Still remember being sent out of class after cheering another brilliant Warne wicket. Meant I barely missed a ball

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

I had just started Year 12 when the 2006/2007 series began. Each classroom had a TV in it and because the series was so popular here all the teachers, except the odd one, allowed us have the TV on the cricket with the volume on mute. Still remember being sent out of class after cheering another brilliant Warne wicket. Meant I barely missed a ball
Never had such luck at school, football world cups were the only time a sporting event was shown.

Cannot wait for this year though, got sky these days and my sleeping pattern is sufficently ****ed for me to be able to watch a lot of it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Never had such luck at school, football world cups were the only time a sporting event was shown.

Cannot wait for this year though, got sky these days and my sleeping pattern is sufficently ****ed for me to be able to watch a lot of it.
Yeah it was the only time any sport was allowed to be watched on TV regularly.

During the end of years Carols service I remember the school chaplain running up to the podium to announce that Australia had just won the test.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pah, we were lucky to get even that. Got England vs. Tunisia in the 1998 event, and that's the only time I've ever watched a sporting event at school with lessons ostensibly postponed for the purpose (watched the first and last Tests of the 2003 summer in the common-room as well as the first of 2004, but that was outside lesson time).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pah, we were lucky to get even that. Got England vs. Tunisia in the 1998 event, and that's the only time I've ever watched a sporting event at school with lessons ostensibly postponed for the purpose (watched the first and last Tests of the 2003 summer in the common-room as well as the first of 2004, but that was outside lesson time).
The only time it happened at the school where I teach was the England vs Brazil WC quarter final in 2002 - it was an early morning kick-off our time, so the first couple of lessons were cancelled and the match was shown on the big screen in the hall. Nice idea, but everyone was miserable as sin for the rest of the day.