• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst day as a Fan

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mine was in 1998, but it didn't feature South Africa. Did see a damn good century from Graeme Hick mind.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, I wish. Really should have done, but I was reasonably afraid of the idea of being kicked out after spending £50 on a ticket. Will definitely have a few when we go to see Australia v Pakistan @ Headingley.
Yeah still really looking forward to that series actually, will be going to the Lords one although my enthusiasm has somewhat been dampened by the recent fiasco with Pakistan, will make sure I get tickets to day 1 or 2

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Atherton-Donald Trent Bridge Test was unquestionably the seismic moment of that summer, and that summer was the one where I got fully properly into watching the game.

First Test I ever actually attended was the Sri Lanka one at the end of that summer - day one.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Worst: That 1999 WC semi-final run out, Allan, you silly, silly boy. man we couldda been a contender! We couldda been somebody.....

Best: Waking up at 2 or 3am, just to confirm the worst, but then watch in shock and awe as Vinnige Fanie knocks the Aussies over in Sydney.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Best day as a sport fan was when that loon Goran Ivanesevic won Wimbledon, on a Monday with a rowdy, split crowd cheering every point.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Adelaide 06/07 was so sickening I prefer not to think of it.

I remember walking around the Adelaide Oval 18 months later and I said to my missus "this is where a part of English cricket died".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Best day as a sport fan was when that loon Goran Ivanesevic won Wimbledon, on a Monday with a rowdy, split crowd cheering every point.
That was good, but in terms of sport other than cricket and football, my fave was undoubtedly Peter Ebdon's match-ball against Stephen Lee in 2001.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
That was good, but in terms of sport other than cricket and football, my fave was undoubtedly Peter Ebdon's match-ball against Stephen Lee in 2001.
That was really only notable because of Ebdon's unsnookerman-like reaction to his pot.

Best day = Final day at Headingley 1981.

Worst day = 1987 World Cup Final (fitting newspaper headline of "Gatt the pratt".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That was really only notable because of Ebdon's unsnookerman-like reaction to his pot.
It was, but part of the reason I liked it so much was because it was so unsnookerman-like. I don't watch snooker anywhere near so religiously as I watch cricket but I've never seen anything particularly like that in all my time watching it.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Best of the best:

Pak vs India 2005 at Kanpur, Shahid Khan Afridi -- 102 from 46 Balls, 10 4's 9 6's....pure demolition lol....

Pak vs Ind 2006 Karachi Test, Mohammad Asif and Akmal brilliant performances.

Worst:

1996 Quarter final: Amir Suhail being a jerk and putting the whole game on the line and losing eventually.

2003 WC vs. Australia: Akram/Waqar/Akhtar had taken down the Aussies to 86/4 and then Ponting went around the 150 mark as well....but the Symonds assault of 143 just took it away...

2003 WC vs. Ind: The sheer thrashing that Tendulkar gave to Pak bowlers.

...and ofcourse the Sydney Test probably beats all of the above in terms of having a bad day... actually weeks...

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Forgot the Natwest trophy 2002. Proved to be a turning point for India and a stepping stone for 2002 Champions Trophy and 2003 WC. I actually stopped watching after Sachin got out and by the time I turned it on again Yuvraj had just got out. Super match that.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Which brings me to my high. As special as 05 was, there was just something about 09 that made it more special to me personally. I don't wanna bore people with any sentimental crap so I'll just say it provided me with a huge lift, the timing was perfect. The day we won it has to be the one, though the Friday when Broad skittled them was right up there...I missed the action that day because I had to cancel my holidays for a business trip...I was sat in a tower block in Hammersmith in the afternoon and could see The Oval in the distance. My phone wouldn't stop buzzing, Broad has one, Broad has two...etc, etc etc. Got on the train home that night and was sat in first class, put the web on and updated my facebook status, "On my way home....just like the Ashes :)"...I opened a beer, and man, I felt GOOD
So you didn't even watch it 8-)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haha.

Michael Bevan hitting the winning runs; remember having to wait around all day, stop starts with rain, and there was such a big pay-off.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Forgot the Natwest trophy 2002. Proved to be a turning point for India and a stepping stone for 2002 Champions Trophy and 2003 WC. I actually stopped watching after Sachin got out and by the time I turned it on again Yuvraj had just got out. Super match that.
Funnily enough, I was similar with THAT Old Trafford Test of 1998. Turned it off when Ramprakash was out, turned it back on a couple of hours later to see Gough having just been out and England still having some chance of saving the game, and watched the final denounement.

As for that 2002 NWS final, one of the best ODIs I've ever seen\heard. (I only watched highlights as we were sans-Sky that summer)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So you didn't even watch it 8-)
If you read again you'll see that I said my favourite moment was the day we won, but just hearing of all those wickets on day three had me buzzing. But my sincere apologies for being employed :p