• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst day as a Fan

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Best - Ind vs. Aust Adelaide 2003

Worst - Ind vs. SA Cape Town 2007. Ind vs. Aust Nagpur 2004 also hurt.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Have to add Independence Cup 1998 to the list. What a chase that was. Another highlight of that series was Tendulkar's handling of Saqlain. No respect. He charged down the track to his first ball in the matches.

Also got to add 2001, 1998 series vs Asutralia. Awesome.

For the worst the Sharjah match where we were bowled out for 54. It was a very embarrassing defeat.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Best

Flintoff at Lords '09
KP's 158 at the Oval '05
The first two innings of the '05 Trent Bridge test where (for the first time in my life) I saw England actually dominating Australia. Sweet while it lasted! :happy:
England's win against Australia in the VB contest that followed the 5-0 drubbing - the one where Ed Joyce scored a century.. It was just so unexpected!

Worst

Watching the denouement of Adelaide '06/'07 live in the gym. Not sweet.
The First Test against Pakistan at Multan in November 2005. England snatching defeat from the jaws of victory - the Ashes bubble burst. Another one I watched in horror live at my early morning gym session.
I'm hoping not to add tomorrow to the list - drawing or losing in Chittagong 2010.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The only time in my life I ever remember crying over a(n international) cricket match was the Fourth Test of the 1999 series against New Zealand. There was seemingly so much at stake, and England lost. That said plenty about me as well as the game (I was 13 at the time and had just begun to get properly, fully into international cricket) but I guess that's the point of this thread. I doubt, had I been born 8 years later, that I'd have felt any different at the 2007 loss to India, which was probably the 2nd-worst I've ever felt. That is, the time when I realised England had no chance of winning the Third Test and squaring the series, which was probably not long after the toss on the opening day.

There's something about Test series defeats at home to teams other than South Africa that's really horrible. Fortunately I only have strong memories of 5 such things - Pakistan 1996, Australia 1997, said aforementioned, and Australia 2001.

Partly because away defeats take place during non-regular cricket hours, and partly because I value home superiority so much, I don't and never have felt anywhere near so bad about away defeats, though like most the final day at Adelaide in 2006/07 rates about as low as it gets there.

But the best I felt was unquestionably the last day at The Oval in 2000. England had won the Wisden Trophy for the first time in 31 years - I was 14, the previous occasion was 16 years before I was born. How much better can it get? Fair to say, of course, that as that Pietersen (and Giles) innings on the last day in 2005 progressed, things got closer and closer to that 2000 feeling being equalled.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah will go with Adelaide 06/07. That killed a little part of me inside.

Will go with the Headingley 09 Ashes test as best and worst for me as well. England got absolutely hammered, but I had so much fun I didn't really care that much.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Will go with the Headingley 09 Ashes test as best and worst for me as well. England got absolutely hammered, but I had so much fun I didn't really care that much.
Getting absolutely hammered was probably the best way to watch that particular fiasco imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

:beer:?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Haha, I wish. Really should have done, but I was reasonably afraid of the idea of being kicked out after spending £50 on a ticket. Will definitely have a few when we go to see Australia v Pakistan @ Headingley.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Worst:
Sydney 09-was going through some rough time personally so cricket was one thing that was keeping my mind distracted then Kamran Akmal happened.:@

Best:
Karachi test vs india in 06 saw ball to ball at the stadium saw the Pathan hatrick followed by Kamran Akmal's fightback then brillance of Asif was just unmatched,

Incidently both my best and worst moment have Kamran Akmal playing a significant role.
Like it or not, Kamran Akmaal is seismic in your life. :sleep:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, I wish. Really should have done, but I was reasonably afraid of the idea of being kicked out after spending £50 on a ticket. Will definitely have a few when we go to see Australia v Pakistan @ Headingley.
Remind me when you turn 18 again?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To answer the question...getting up on day five of Adelaide and seeing 'Australia need 130(ish) to win' has to be the all-time low. My first reaction was, 'why has Freddie declared?' It didn't actually cross my mind that we could have contrived to be bowled out. Unbelievable, took me two years and nine months to get over it...

Which brings me to my high. As special as 05 was, there was just something about 09 that made it more special to me personally. I don't wanna bore people with any sentimental crap so I'll just say it provided me with a huge lift, the timing was perfect. The day we won it has to be the one, though the Friday when Broad skittled them was right up there...I missed the action that day because I had to cancel my holidays for a business trip...I was sat in a tower block in Hammersmith in the afternoon and could see The Oval in the distance. My phone wouldn't stop buzzing, Broad has one, Broad has two...etc, etc etc. Got on the train home that night and was sat in first class, put the web on and updated my facebook status, "On my way home....just like the Ashes :)"...I opened a beer, and man, I felt GOOD

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
This from Devon Malcolm up there with the best days, I think I was just of the right age, and that was the summer I got massively into watching 'proper' cricket as opposed to watching my Dad play club cricket.

Worst days... can't think of one tbh. They all blur into one. Probably waking up to hear the carnage in Adelaide 06/7 was pretty rubbish.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This from Devon Malcolm up there with the best days, I think I was just of the right age, and that was the summer I got massively into watching 'proper' cricket as opposed to watching my Dad play club cricket.
Haha, my equivalent was the 1998 Trent Bridge Test. But yeah, I do remember that - quite well, in fact. Sadly, I wasn't watching 100% - I was flitting up and downstairs constantly at my Grandad's old place as Dad exclaimed of yet another wicket to Malcolm. I've since wished I'd just sat the **** down and watched it unfold.

(Grandad's current place would allow for no such possibility - wish he'd moved in there sooner)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, my equivalent was the 1998 Trent Bridge Test. But yeah, I do remember that - quite well, in fact. Sadly, I wasn't watching 100% - I was flitting up and downstairs constantly at my Grandad's old place as Dad exclaimed of yet another wicket to Malcolm. I've since wished I'd just sat the **** down and watched it unfold.

(Grandad's current place would allow for no such possibility - wish he'd moved in there sooner)
Oh yeah, we've had some really awesome battles with South Africa, that's for sure. And that summer was the first test I ever went to live, and started a teenage-years-long obsession with Mike Atherton.