• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst appeal of all time?

The_roc

U19 Captain
I've been watching a bit of IPL and a bit of England / Bangla over the last few days and there have been a few dodgy appeals about. I remember Nassar Hussain being given out LBW more than once to balls that pitched 18 inches outside leg stump, so I was wondering which have been the worst appeals of all time.

For me, 2nd July 1987 at Headingly. Ian Botham nicks a ball outside off stump and Saleem Yousuf the Pakistan keeper dives to catch it. Saleem spills the ball onto the grass but as it rolls away, seemingly oblivious to the fact that 15,000 people are watching him, he picks it up and appeals for a catch. Beefy was not impressed.

A special prize for anyone who can guess what Imran Khan is saying ( Imran Khan remonstrates with Saleem Yousuf | Cricket Photo | Cricinfo.com )

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: On the second one he was given before an appeal was made.
Yeah that's a big part if makes it such a shocker. It's the sheer keenness of the umpire in giving him out. He just couldn't wait.

Getting 3rd country umpires in was such a necessary step, because it meant that people more cynical than me would stop making accusations of home-town bias against certain umpires. Now we're just reduced to those two old favourites, incompetence and racism...:ph34r:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loved that one where Gilly walked when the ball flew out of the rough and went to second slip. Replays showed he'd missed it by six inches.

Been so many dire ones over the years though..

On a completely unrelated note, bumped into Steve Waugh this morning in town. Still had that steely gaze as he waited at the lights, like "**** off truck, I'm coming across the road. If you don't like it, too bad".

WAG.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I've been watching a bit of IPL and a bit of England / Bangla over the last few days and there have been a few dodgy appeals about. I remember Nassar Hussain being given out LBW more than once to balls that pitched 18 inches outside leg stump, so I was wondering which have been the worst appeals of all time.

For me, 2nd July 1987 at Headingly. Ian Botham nicks a ball outside off stump and Saleem Yousuf the Pakistan keeper dives to catch it. Saleem spills the ball onto the grass but as it rolls away, seemingly oblivious to the fact that 15,000 people are watching him, he picks it up and appeals for a catch. Beefy was not impressed.

A special prize for anyone who can guess what Imran Khan is saying ( Imran Khan remonstrates with Saleem Yousuf | Cricket Photo | Cricinfo.com )
That is an absolutely marvelous picture and piece of information for me as a fan. It kind of reaffirms why Imran was so well respected as a cricketer all over the world.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Loved that one where Gilly walked when the ball flew out of the rough and went to second slip. Replays showed he'd missed it by six inches.

Been so many dire ones over the years though..

On a completely unrelated note, bumped into Steve Waugh this morning in town. Still had that steely gaze as he waited at the lights, like "**** off truck, I'm coming across the road. If you don't like it, too bad".

WAG.
Haha, should have done a Ganguly, parked your car in his way, and then go and get some ice cream while he waits for you to move it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's the worst decision I've ever seen.
In the fair dinkum department, that lbw was absolutely ridiculous. Surely you couldn't live with yourself giving that out. Gatting's reaction was completely priceless.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
1987-88 vs Australia. Edge off Andrew Jones down the leg-side.

Not that we Kiwis hold a grudge or anything...