• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What a game!

James

Cricket Web Owner
I guess the "What a game!" subject is a bit off as at the end of the 4th day the game looked like being a dull draw but as Sean said in his news report the 5th day was absolutely amazing!

What did you all think of the game?

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
As Richie would say "Wasn't that one of the most amazing things. A cracker of a game!"

Rich

Cricket Spectator
It was a great last day...I really should have spent that time studying for School C (not far away now :() but instead I watched the cricket...

Anyway, it was the best finish to a test match that I've seen in a long time. With Cairns and McMillan at the crease, a NZ victory looked possible, but McGrath's bowling tactics prevented an upset victory.

Rich

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I partly wanted to see Australia lose, just to show how arrogant the Aussies really are. I mean, what a stupid declaration total. Steve Waugh broke the golden rule of captaincy, never let the other side back into the game. If Australia had lost, that could have been his last as captain.

That said, full credit to the Kiwis for their chase. Cairns had to go for it at the end, and if Ponting hadn't been there to catch the ball, the game would have been a NZ win.

Ross

Cricket Spectator
I agree that the declaration was far too early. Especially since they'd be up against a batting line-up that includes Chris Cairns, one of the most powerful hitters in cricket today. Could you imagine Stephen Fleming declaring giving Australia 57 overs to get 284, knowing full well that he'd most likely have to face Adam Gilchrist at some stage?

EDIT: In addition, not having Glenn McGrath open the bowling was a huge mistake, Lee and Gillespie are very good but they also get smashed around a lot more than McGrath.

[Edited on 11/12/01 by Ross]

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
you ppl are soooooo stupid - steve waugh made the declaration at the right time - he had to make the total small enough fot the Kiwi's to make chase and large enough to defend - he made a game of it - cricket was the winner on the day.

Rich

Cricket Spectator
I think the declarations were very good and made a certain draw into an exciting finish.

The New Zealanders should have gained some respect in Australia after that match, and Stephen Fleming showed that he is one of the best captains, even if NZ aren't the top team.

This series has already shown that it will be more exciting than the Ashes, and probably a tougher challenge for Australia than England.

Rich

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
why have the kiwi's gained any respect, Aus declared at 2/84 - hardly a ful innings (we almost beat you guys by an innings)