• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Imran Khan?? Why not??

Maximus0723

State Regular
He is on par with Sir Hadlee and, is the all time best Pakistani player.

Why doesn't he have the prefix of "Sir".

Sir Alex

Banned

Because Knighthood is something bestowed by the Queen of England and that in present age nobody really care about it outside England and her territories.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty sure Pakistanis can only get honourary knighthoods due to Pakistan being a republic.

I think.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

The Queen is the notional head of state for Australia and New Zealand but no more for India or Pakistan. Thats why citizens of these countries are never knighted anymore.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Actually I would be offended if any Indian ever chose to identify with the title that was given to the butcher of Jalianwala Bagh Michael O'Dwyer .

I am sorry if it hurts anyone but I feel very very strongly about it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually I would be offended if any Indian ever chose to identify with the title that was given to the butcher of Jalianwala Bagh Michael O'Dwyer .
I'm not massively bothered whether any Indian desires a knighthood or not, but the fact that one was given to someone who didn't deserve it decades or centuries ago should never, ever impact on whether someone wants one or not.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes or Frank Worrell or Garry Sobers or Jack Hobbs or Donald Bradman or Isaac Newton or Winston Churchill. What a terrible honour to be associated with.

I'm sorry but it's already clear that this thread is doomed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes or Frank Worrell or Garry Sobers or Jack Hobbs or Donald Bradman or Isaac Newton or Winston Churchill. What a terrible honour to be associated with.

As anything is when people tend to start getting emotional about nationalities, their own or those of others.

Sad.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

You missed an important part of my post :-

" if any Indian ever chose to identify with the title" .

Also I don't have much respect for the Politician Winston Churchil, I will resist from making any other comment on the subject.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If anyone deserves a knighthood for cricket it should be Richie Benaud IMO, but AFAIK Australian's don't really get them anymore.

pskov

International 12th Man
Tbf, if I was offered a knighthood or even an MBE/OBE etc. I'd turn it down too and I'm English. Useless relic from an imperial past that is meaningless and imho somewhat distasteful in the modern age.

Craig

World Traveller
If anyone deserves a knighthood for cricket it should be Richie Benaud IMO, but AFAIK Australian's don't really get them anymore.
Because there is a law that states that an Australian cannot be knighted.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Only all rounders with moustaches can carry a knighthood well. As the only all rounder of his time who didn't attain puberty, he doesn't have a chance.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
You missed an important part of my post :-

" if any Indian ever chose to identify with the title" .

Also I don't have much respect for the Politician Winston Churchil, I will resist from making any other comment on the subject.
They wanted to divide the world among themselves, they fought among themselves. It's a pity that the countries who and nothing to do with it also dragged in to it.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, if I was offered a knighthood or even an MBE/OBE etc. I'd turn it down too and I'm English. Useless relic from an imperial past that is meaningless and imho somewhat distasteful in the modern age.
this...except i am not english...:thumbup:, but doubt anyone gives a flying **** anymore outside of the british isles...