• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Worst Batsman You've Seen

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I don't wish to pick on Chris Martin. He is a very decent bowler in a struggling test side, but as a batsman he may well be the very worst I've seen.

At least McGrath could defend sometimes, and Walsh could strike out on occasion, as can Murali.

Even Tuffers and Monty are a notch ahead. Has anyone seen worse?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's a bloke at my club who would go close. Has only passed 10 twice IIRC. Though one was in a 74 last wicket partnership to win us a game though.

fredfertang

Former Northants, Yorks and Sussex seamer Mark Robinson has a distinctly ordinary batting record

Northants Jim Griffiths from a previous generation was no great shakes either

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Former Northants, Yorks and Sussex seamer Mark Robinson has a distinctly ordinary batting record

Northants Jim Griffiths from a previous generation was no great shakes either
hmm, Im not saying you are wrong but around these parts we would say "Former Yorkshire cricketer Mark Robinson, who also played for Northants and Sussex" :dry:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon Bruce Reid is probably as poor as I can remember seeing at international level.

fredfertang

Bhagwat Chandrashekhar, the great Indian spinner.
I finally managed to track down a copy of Chandra's biography a few weeks ago - apparently despite his withered arm he was an opening batsman/wicketkeeper when he started to play the game!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ed Giddins must be worth a shout if he batted below Tufnell & Mullally in that 1999 game against NZ.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Essentially I think once you get to a "terrible" standard at international level it's basically impossible to distinguish and call one definitively worse than the other. Certainly some of the names mentioned so far (Chandra, Martin, Giddins, Robinson, Reid) were utterly diabolical and relatively clueless.

They were, however, in all likelihood better than I routinely am.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Monty is nowhere near as bad as Martin. Monty is merely classically inept, terrified looking dear in the headlamps material, yet prone to token moments of inspiration. Holding out at Cardiff, landing the odd extra cover drive to ironic cheers from a home crowd often willing him to fail.

Yes, he is very poor with the bat overall, but not completely useless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Monty is nowhere near as bad as Martin. Monty is merely classically inept, terrified looking dear in the headlamps material, yet prone to token moments of inspiration. Holding out at Cardiff, landing the odd extra cover drive to ironic cheers from a home crowd often willing him to fail.

Yes, he is very poor with the bat overall, but not completely useless.
And for as poor a batsman as him, his elegance on the very rare occasion he does play a good stroke is remarkable.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon I'm a better batsman than Chris Martin.

(OK well maybe not, but still).....

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
And for as poor a batsman as him, his elegance on the very rare occasion he does play a good stroke is remarkable.
Yep, he can knock the odd really good shot. Remember the sweep for 6 off Jaisuirya in 06?

He must have been posessed. :laugh:

Last edited: