• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Worst Batsman You've Seen

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, he can knock the odd really good shot. Remember the sweep for 6 of Jaisuirya in 06?

He must have been possessed. :laugh:
Was actually off Murali, of all people. Who'd just taken about 18 wickets in the last couple of games. :blink:

It was his cover-drive in the WACA Test when the game was (like said Trent Bridge Test) already long, long since lost that sticks most in my mind though.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Was actually off Murali, of all people. Who'd just taken about 18 wickets in the last couple of games. :blink:

It was his cover-drive in the WACA Test when the game was (like said Trent Bridge Test) already long, long since lost that sticks most in my mind though.
Was it? Even better. :-O:happy:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will always remember watching Derek Kenway scoring a 50 for Hampshire a few years back, was a tortuous experience, he insisted on taking guard every time he came on strike. Worst innings I have seen that has lasted more than 5 minutes. Started of his career quite well, not sure what happened

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
According to Cricinfo, Martin has registered 83 runs in 54 tests.

That great batsman Glen McGrath scored 641 in 124. More than 3 times as many runs per test than Martin.

Scary.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Martin also has loads of NO's due to the other batsman slogging away as soon as he comes to the crease.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon Bruce Reid is probably as poor as I can remember seeing at international level.
Haha, remember that ODI, I think it was vs NZ, where we needed I think two runs off the last over, and Reid played and missed at every single ball, couldn't get Greg Matthews on strike. We ended up losing the game by one run. He was truly, truly horrid.

Could bowl though.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, remember that ODI, I think it was vs NZ, where we needed I think two runs off the last over, and Reid played and missed at every single ball, couldn't get Greg Matthews on strike. We ended up losing the game by one run. He was truly, truly horrid.

Could bowl though.
Ha ha yep, what an effort that was - though I'm pretty sure it was Pakistan, and Imran bowling the last over.

Could definitely bowl though. To anyone except Alan Lamb in the final over of a one-dayer. :ph34r:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Even more remarkable is the fact that of the 37 times that he has actually been out in an innings, he scored 27 ducks. Thats 73 percent !!
I am really fascinated by his "out" innings rather than his not outs :)

His dismissals after his first huge innings of 7 read...

Then another brilliant innings of 7 and then a spell of good form reading as ...

Then another big innings of 5

I think if New Zealand cricket played him long enough he might try to match Sachin's ambition of a century of centuries with a century of blobs.

Sachin's 93 hundreds (including the unbeaten ones) have come in a staggering 702 international innings so far.

Martin already has 50 in just 77 Test innings !!

If New Zealand even promoted him to number ten, we might have a record for the Kiwis which no other nation might be able to reach.

Come on Kiwis support our Chris.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I reckon Bruce Reid is probably as poor as I can remember seeing at international level.
Terry Alderman.
The fact that Alderman, Reid and Carl Rackemann (who was also hopeless) formed Australia's bottom three in this Test and it still took England 142 deliveries combined to knock them over in the second-innings, thus missing the chance to set themselves a very-gettable target on the fifth afternoon, is one of the most unlikely escapes ever and very, very galling indeed.

(No-one should get the impression it was likely to have affected the series - England were two-nil down going into that Test and subsequently were hammered to lose The Ashes, but at least it would've doubled the number of England victories with said Ashes at stake in the series' between 1989 and 2002/03.)

thierry henry

International Coach
Ha ha yep, what an effort that was - though I'm pretty sure it was Pakistan, and Imran bowling the last over.

Could definitely bowl though. To anyone except Alan Lamb in the final over of a one-dayer. :ph34r:
It was NZ, it was Chris Pringle.

Pretty remarkable given that Pringle bowled 130kph on his absolute best day.

thierry henry

International Coach
Re: Chris Martin, many of his scores of 0 have been the result of him turning down singles late in the over so that he can keep off strike. No matter who he is batting with (even if it's 10 and 11 together) the other batsman will keep him off strike, so he rarely faces anything other than a couple of balls late in the over.

tbh I think he has improved ever so slightly over the years. His ability to play out 1-2 balls has improved somewhat and I actually think a majority of his noughts over the last 3-4 years would have been runs if he/his partner had taken all of those available.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am really fascinated by his "out" innings rather than his not outs :)

His dismissals after his first huge innings of 7 read...

Then another brilliant innings of 7 and then a spell of good form reading as ...

Then another big innings of 5

I think if New Zealand cricket played him long enough he might try to match Sachin's ambition of a century of centuries with a century of blobs.

Sachin's 93 hundreds (including the unbeaten ones) have come in a staggering 702 international innings so far.

Martin already has 50 in just 77 Test innings !!

If New Zealand even promoted him to number ten, we might have a record for the Kiwis which no other nation might be able to reach.

Come on Kiwis support our Chris.
:laugh: :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sounds funny when you applaud his ability to play out 1-2 deliveries
It demonstrates how truly diabolical he used to be, and also that he's done well to make a miniscule improvement.

Personally to me it seemed to date from that whack on the head he got from that unacceptable James Anderson short delivery.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It was NZ, it was Chris Pringle.

Pretty remarkable given that Pringle bowled 130kph on his absolute best day.
Well there you go, I was sure I remembered Imran bowling a last-over maiden to beat Australia – my mind is clearly playing tricks on me.

Ah, here we go - I was getting it mixed up with this match.