• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil Dev inducted into Hall of Fame

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
Akram should be on that list very soon. Was Gower that good to be a Hall of Famer ?

New Zealand (1)
Richard Hadlee

South Africa (2)
Barry Richards , Graeme Pollock

Pakistan (3)
Imran Khan, Hanif Mohammad , Javed Miandad

India (3)
Bishan Bedi , Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar

Australia (11)
Keith Miller, Bill O’Reilly, Rodney Marsh , Dennis Lillee, Ray Lindwall, Neil Harvey , Donald Bradman, Greg Chappell, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud, Allan Border

West Indies (14)
Clyde Walcott, Everton Weekes , Frank Woolley , Frank Worrell . Vivian Richards, Andy Roberts, Garfield Sobers , Malcolm Marshall , Rohan Kanhai , Michael Holding , Lance Gibbs , Clive Lloyd , George Headley , Gordon Greenidge

England (21)
Brian Statham, Fred Trueman, Derek Underwood , Wilfred Rhodes , Peter May , Alan Knott, Jim Laker, Harold Larwood , Leonard Hutton , Jack Hobbs , Graham Gooch, David Gower, WG Grace, Tom Graveney , Walter Hammond , Denis Compton, Colin Cowdrey , Ian Botham, Geoffrey Boycott , Alec Bedser , Sydney Barnes ,

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well done Kapil Dev. Was just before my time, but from his achievements, and hearing people speak about him, suspect he's significantly underrated in absolute terms these days - probably at least partially because of the other allrounders he was a contemporary of.

Apart from anything else, should be a near automatic inclusion in any all-time ODI XI imo...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A truly great player, who had he been born 10 years earlier or 10 years later would have reigned virtually unchallenged as the world's outstanding all round cricketer for much of his career.

That full list, whilst not denying the greatness of those on it, looks rather England-heavy to me. The likes of Graveney, Gooch and Gower could probably consider themselves rather lucky to be included when you consider some of the blokes who haven't made it yet.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
A truly great player, who had he been born 10 years earlier or 10 years later would have reigned virtually unchallenged as the world's outstanding all round cricketer for much of his career.
Even in that era, he held his own as an all rounder. IMO he truly is one of the greatest talents ever to play cricket. He was an outstanding athlete (infact he still is), never missed a match due to injury in his 15-16 year career. Indian cricket used him both as a stock bowler and as a strike bowler and for years he did both with distinction, day in and day out.

Gavaskar gave us the belief that we could be the best, Kapil gave us the belief that we could beat the best and be the world Champs.

1983 and Kapil Dev Nikhanj Changed Indian and world Cricket forever .

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Even in that era, he held his own as an all rounder. IMO he truly is one of the greatest talents ever to play cricket. He was an outstanding athlete (infact he still is), never missed a match due to injury in his 15-16 year career. Indian cricket used him both as a stock bowler and as a strike bowler and for years he did both with distinction, day in and day out.

Gavaskar gave us the belief that we could be the best, Kapil gave us the belief that we could beat the best and be the world Champs.

Well said. And yeah, I certainly didn't mean to imply that he was overshadowed or didn't hold his own - more that because of the timing of his career he was part a small group of great all-rounders at the top of world cricket, rather than being alone at the top as he would have been during many other eras. :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They've played the game longest I would think... There's 130 odd years of history on the side of England and Australia there.

Also not sure you can be nominated while still playing - may have to wait a few years post-retirement.

E & T's post which lists the inductees has Frank Woolley playing for WI. Suspect it's Worrell and a typo (not being a nark ftr), though Woolley wouldn't be out of place in there either tbh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never have set too much stall by this ICC Hall Of Fame lark TBH. There's no way you're ever likely to get an accurate feudal reflection.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Give it some time folks. It is a new thing for ICC. I am just glad that they have started something like this. Every sport has it, Cricket should as well. It will fine tune along the way.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ Agree, its important for cricket to have something like this.

Btw, Kapil Dev's name is seriously one of the most awesome. Rolls off the tongue so well.

Maximus0723

State Regular

'83 was the best WC after '96.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'96 was a very poor tournament, probably "worsed" only by 2002/03 and 2007. I don't really know very much about '83 but it (like '75 and '79) couldn't really have been as good as 1991/92 or 1999.

Matt79

Global Moderator
That's becoming a bit meaningless really Rich. It's either the third worst, or alternatively, second best WC of the four WCs you've seen.

I thought 96 was decent - there were some very good performances, and a bit of an upset in the final. 02/03 was a great tournament in my opinion. 2007 wasn't great, and what I remember of it, '91/92 wasn't really the stuff dreams are made of.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
No way was 99 better than 96. The quarterfinals, one semifinal and the final in 96 were top notch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's becoming a bit meaningless really Rich. It's either the third worst, or alternatively, second best WC of the four WCs you've seen.

I thought 96 was decent - there were some very good performances, and a bit of an upset in the final. 02/03 was a great tournament in my opinion. 2007 wasn't great, and what I remember of it, '91/92 wasn't really the stuff dreams are made of.
'91/92 was an excellent tournamen which featured excellent cricket and very little uncompetetive cricket. 2002/03 and 2007 both featured horrendous amounts of it and were both as such awful tournaments in my book - 2007 was even worse than 2002/03.

As for 1995/96, the format rendered almost all the matches meaningless - the only ones that meant anything were the straight knockout matches.