• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's Grand Slam

ret

International Debutant
Would that be #1 ranking in tests, ODI WC win and T20 WC win?

So far only India has achieved the career grand slam. If it manages to win this year's T20 WC and next year's ODI WC then I guess that would also be a calender year Grand Slam!

Australia needs to win T20 WC to achieve the career grand slam. While some of other teams have to do win at least 2 of those.

So far only India has achieved the career grand slam. If it manages to win this year's T20 WC and next year's ODI WC then I guess that would also be a calender year Grand Slam!

Australia needs to win T20 WC to achieve the career grand slam. While some of other teams have to do win at least 2 of those.
If the T20WC is included then why not the Champions trophy.

ret

International Debutant
Also would like to add that the 3 are representative of the best titles of the respective formats. Every team would like to have those under its belt.

Having said that Pakistan has won the ODI and T20 WC so it needs the title in tests. While we can give WI the official #1 test ranking for its performances in the 80s and it has also won the ODI WC so it needs to win the T20 WC to achieve the Grand Slam.

Talking abt CT, ODI WC already represents that format. Also Ind is the only team to win the Grand Slam and the CT!

Himannv

International Coach
I dont think the T20 world cup amounts to much as its still new. Would be great to win it, but I think winning an ODI WC or having a #1 Test ranking are probably better to have.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You have to have won the Ashes to have done any kind of cricket grand slam IMO :ph34r:

cbuts

International Debutant

No one has done a grand slam. A grand slam to me, is having all the tournaments at once.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
You have to have won the Ashes to have done any kind of cricket grand slam IMO :ph34r:
ha ha ... That's the only option to save England the embarrassment of not having achieved even 1 among the 3 criteria mentioned by ret (in the last 35 years or so)... :P

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one has done a grand slam. A grand slam to me, is having all the tournaments at once.
Fairly certain Australia did have that a couple of years ago (before the T20 WC existed). Or at least was bloody close to it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To have a Grand Slam, you need to play Tennis, not cricket.
Aren't the term used elsewhere as well? Obviously in golf it's "majors" rather than "slams" but I'm sure I've heard other sports use it.

Either way, would suggest like several others that it'd need to be holding all three simultaneously to be really worthy of note - something which, given there've only been 2 Twenty20 World thingies to date is implausible thus far. And also would go so far as to suggest a #1 Test ranking is notably completely incomparable to winning a multi-nation tournament.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
A lot of spoilsports missing the "Awesome India are Awesome" point of the thread IMO.
:laugh: That's what I thought when I first saw the thread. Let's pick what India have done, and no other team has done and call it a GrandSlam.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is, unlike tennis, personnel change.

So Agassi and Federer winning all 4 majors at one point or another in their career ensures it was creditable. None of them did the season slam of course.

But India wining a World Cup in 1983, and then winning the 2007 T20WC and #1 test ranking in 2009/10 have very little overlap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apart maybe from the fact that a player or two from the '83 Cup victory might just possibly have been involved in some sort of management\mentoring of someone from the 2007/08 Twenty20 event, I'd struggle to see how anyone could claim any overlap between the two really.