• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome to Cricket Web - Cricket Chat

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Welcome to the forum WW.

Fellow England fan here, I guess I'm a bit like our selectors where Cook is concerned.........either got my head in the sand or ticking along with blind optimism that he'll come good, purely based on a lack of any other better options.

Enjoy your time here, if it's cricket talk you seek then you've come to the right place :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I have already made a few post, but should introduce myself now.

I am your typical Indian cricket fan who grew up on cricket. I started watching cricket in late 80's, though at that stage I was too young to bother with much beyond Indian cricket. 1996 world cup took my interest to a different level. Post that I started following cricket all round the world and started learning about cricketers round the world.

Then, somewhere around 2001-02 two things happened - Wisden came out with its Wisden 100 lists and ESPN did a feature on Legends of Cricket. At that time I started taking interest in history of cricket and with vast resources of Cricinfo (which also came up at around the same time), I started educating myself about the greats of the past.

Since then I have spent lot of time reading about cricket and debating on various cricket forums. I discovered this forum accidentally through a random Google search. I have explored this site fair bit and am quite impressed with quality of discussion here (saw the CW50 series, fast bowlers survival series and several Player A vs Player B threads :D).

Hoping to have some quality discussion with cricket fans from all around the world, a privilege I did not have on other forums I earlier participated on :)
I think this is my best post on this forum.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Hey everyone,

I've had a bit of a renaissance with cricket. I used to be the typical Indian teenage boy watching every Indian cricket match played in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Unsurprisingly, a massive Tendulkar fan, but also appreciative of the talents of Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly, Azhar and Yuvraj Singh (a personal favourite). After leaving India, I discovered Premier League football and that consumed my sporting viewing, and I discarded cricket on the side. Apart from the final 20 mins of the final, I also missed India's 2011 WC triumph.

Something changed last year - I went to England to study and when the summer started, I somehow found myself as the captain of my University team. I'm an average player mind you, but a keen student and thinker of the game. The English summer made me rediscover cricket - playing on beautiful grounds with proper pitches and even groundsmen who come and shake your hand before the start of a match. We had proper pavilions with English tea breaks, and I started analysing the game from a microscope again. I watched almost every ball of the India-England series, and even went for 2 matches - including the great day when we won at Lord's.

Since then, I'm back in love with cricket. I'm catching up religiously on almost every thing I missed - which is quite a few years. I'm happy to say that my love for the game has extended beyond India games - I took a keen interest in the recent Pakistan-Australia test series and even followed the Bangladesh-Zimbabwe match!

I've discovered at a mature age I appreciate test cricket a whole lot more now. While every India fan still enjoys ODIs (where we truly can be #1), it is certainly something to be great at test cricket. Sorry for the rant, let the cricket resume!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Welcome mate. I expect we will have a bit of fun with your username in months to come but it will all be in jest.

SurgeInWelly

Cricket Spectator
Hi everyone

I'm a Kiwi (in Wellington no less)... average club player, also did a bit of umpiring at grade level whilst living in Brisbane a few years back - should really get back into it one day... anyway, looking forward to the World Cup and enjoying the current Black Caps renaissance over the last couple of years and hoping it continues.

My thoughts at the moment are with Martin Crowe who is a person who I've always found inspiring, as much for his flaws and how he's struggled/dealt with them as for his strengths and aesthetically gorgeous (not to mention effective) batsmanship - not to mention his bowling, was sad he couldn't continue with it.

Anyway, enough ramblings! I hope you're well where you are in the cricketing universe and I look forward to interacting with you over the coming months and beyond :D

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey SiW, hope you post often. We have some very good NZ posters here.

Btw, as an umpire, what are your views on Mankadding?

SurgeInWelly

Cricket Spectator
Hey SiW, hope you post often. We have some very good NZ posters here.

Btw, as an umpire, what are your views on Mankadding?
Thanks Harsh, my views are one warning... ensure batspeople have gotten the message then it's fair game.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hi everyone

I'm a Kiwi (in Wellington no less)... average club player, also did a bit of umpiring at grade level whilst living in Brisbane a few years back - should really get back into it one day... anyway, looking forward to the World Cup and enjoying the current Black Caps renaissance over the last couple of years and hoping it continues.

My thoughts at the moment are with Martin Crowe who is a person who I've always found inspiring, as much for his flaws and how he's struggled/dealt with them as for his strengths and aesthetically gorgeous (not to mention effective) batsmanship - not to mention his bowling, was sad he couldn't continue with it.

Anyway, enough ramblings! I hope you're well where you are in the cricketing universe and I look forward to interacting with you over the coming months and beyond :D
I hail from Wellington as well. Which club do you play for...

Dhoni_183*

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
New guy!

Hi everyone, big cricket fan here :happy: Thought I would join up as this looks like a good forum. Look forward to talking to you all :)

HeathDavisSpeed

I like this part of your signature "greatest wkt keeper/bat/captain ever in any format!"

It seems a very specific award for MS. Who is his competition in the stakes for "greatest wicket keeper/batsman/captain in ever in any format"? I'm going to rule out Brendon McCullum as his captaincy has coincided with him stepping away from the gloves. There's Mushfiqur Rahim, Tatenda Taibu and Brendan Taylor have probably both done the combo. Did Sangakkara do the combo at any point? There must be some other contenders in the mix. I think the biggest problem for MS here is that his captaincy in Tests in particular has been pretty uninspiring.

Dhoni_183*

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I like this part of your signature "greatest wkt keeper/bat/captain ever in any format!"

It seems a very specific award for MS. Who is his competition in the stakes for "greatest wicket keeper/batsman/captain in ever in any format"? I'm going to rule out Brendon McCullum as his captaincy has coincided with him stepping away from the gloves. There's Mushfiqur Rahim, Tatenda Taibu and Brendan Taylor have probably both done the combo. Did Sangakkara do the combo at any point? There must be some other contenders in the mix. I think the biggest problem for MS here is that his captaincy in Tests in particular has been pretty uninspiring.
Sanga didn't carry the burden of all 3 duties long enough. McCullum has given the gloves up in tests at least. Gilly is the only serious competition if you take out the captaincy component imo. Dhoni's workload is phenomenal and it's also leading a country like India where expectations are crazy. I think India have gone downhill in tests post 2011, so it's tough for Dhoni. Kohli is finding out the same thing. If the seamers fail to land the ball accurately than no fancy fields will help. At home Dhoni knows exactly what to do as he has the tools to work with. He is a great ODI captain as applies pressure.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Sheesh, talk about a warm welcome.

Enjoy yourself, and now you know who to put on ignore:)
See my signature. Didn't join the forum to engage with troll posts. Thanks everyone else for the welcome!
Welcome to the forum Dohni_183 :)

I think it would be fair to say that MSD is not massively rated on this forum by the majority, but if he is someone that you admire above others that's entirely your prerogative and I'm sure a few nah sayers are not going to change your opinion. I would advise though (if I may) that you don't get so sensitive about a bit of ribbing. Often there is a fine line between banter and troll posts and you are bound to encounter both here...........this is a fun place and there is lots of piss taking amongst the members. Best to at least suss out the characters before you label them IMO (although you're probably on the money with sledger tbf:p)

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Hey Dhoni_183*, welcome to CW and the forum.

You will soon come to realize that posters here generally like to talk about test cricket, and if you see a general statement being made about a player, it will usually be with regards to his test career. ODI and T20s are also discussed, but are generally specified as such.

This sometimes leads to opinions on players such as Dhoni being rather underwhelming because his record in tests (in all the roles of captain, wicket-keeper, and batsman) hasn't been as great as that in the ODIs.

But you should carry on, and if you happen to change your mind at all on this (if it so happens), you can always ask the moderators to change your username :)