• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome to Cricket Web - Cricket Chat

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Hi All, I am a Sri Lankan Yorkshireman and support SL.I have played cricket for about 25 years at a club level and now getting close to the big" four o" so not sure how much more is left in me! I play in the Huddersfield Drakes league here in Yorkshire and am an opening bat...I love all forms of cricket and in terms of those i have loved watching- Tendulkar, Lara , KP , Dravid , Donald , Waqar , Wasim, Brett Lee...the list goes on...Hoping to enjoy many cricket based debates with you all..

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hi All, I am a Sri Lankan Yorkshireman and support SL.I have played cricket for about 25 years at a club level and now getting close to the big" four o" so not sure how much more is left in me! I play in the Huddersfield Drakes league here in Yorkshire and am an opening bat...I love all forms of cricket and in terms of those i have loved watching- Tendulkar, Lara , KP , Dravid , Donald , Waqar , Wasim, Brett Lee...the list goes on...Hoping to enjoy many cricket based debates with you all..
Should have included the illustrious bruce edgar in your list to appeal to the new zealanders.

welcome btw

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
Hey folks, A canadian-American-Indian (the Asian kind) here. A bit of info about me: i am married, with kids, 40+, have been watching cricket for 30+ years (though off and on for the last 15 years). Teams I support: India, KKR, Mumbai Indians. Teams i enjoy watching: Australia,Pakistan, South Africa, India, Mumbai Indians, CSK. Teams i find boring: England, Sri Lanka, Sunrisers. Teams I think have an attitude problem: Australia, Delhi Daredevils, West Indies.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Welcome here Mulogh. Hope you become a long term poster here. I am behind your T20 franchise growth view. Have thought the same for a while now. I do think, however, that the ODI schedule should be scaled down. A WC and an annual CT should be enough. Btw, how in god's name did you become a KKR fan?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey folks, A canadian-American-Indian (the Asian kind) here. A bit of info about me: i am married, with kids, 40+, have been watching cricket for 30+ years (though off and on for the last 15 years). Teams I support: India, KKR, Mumbai Indians. Teams i enjoy watching: Australia,Pakistan, South Africa, India, Mumbai Indians, CSK. Teams i find boring: England, Sri Lanka, Sunrisers. Teams I think have an attitude problem: Australia, Delhi Daredevils, West Indies.
:-O

Oh well, welcome mate

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
Welcome here Mulogh. Hope you become a long term poster here. I am behind your T20 franchise growth view. Have thought the same for a while now. I do think, however, that the ODI schedule should be scaled down. A WC and an annual CT should be enough. Btw, how in god's name did you become a KKR fan?
You can take a bengali out of Kolkata but you cannot take Kolkata out of a Bengali.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
thanks James, Maximus and Hurricane..gald to be here for a balanced discussion unlike the site i left !!

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Should have included the illustrious bruce edgar in your list to appeal to the new zealanders.

welcome btw
emjoyed watching shane bond when he wasnt injured if that helps!! and played junior cricket with chris cairns whilst his dad was a pro at our club when i was growing up...:)

ibiza

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hello all

I am Female Scottish Trini , Born in Trinidad and Tobago , married to Indian Trini ....we are fans of Cricket and travel World wide with the West Indies teams in the past.

West Indies Cricket management since 1995 has seen us regress to doormats of the Cricketing World.

I am now a supporter of Trinidad and Tobago Cricket and the Trini Players on the team . My husband and I will post under this handle . My first game I saw England vs
West Indies at the Queens Park Oval ..Gary Sobers sporting declaration which the Pommies won...

Oh what a group of players on that field .. Cowdrey , Milburn , Boycott , D'Olivera etc ..vs Kanhai . Hunte , Hall , Griffith , Butcher , Gibbs Sobers etc...

I will always treasure the memories of Hall running in from mere yards from the boundary rope and ending up past the batsman ..the best sight ever in Cricket history .

Small Islands that produced some of the best to play the a game. Now we have players who wear the best blings in the game...sigh

My posting will be about our past players ....

ibiza

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Brilliant written as I was present for the five Days ....

My only engagement with you would be about Rodriguez , You see you may have missed the game when Trinidad and Tobago played against the Pommies a few days before .
If Arlot and Knowles were still alive commentators .

My memories recall for about an hour ends of days play , hot and very humid , he had the English is serious trouble , even Cowdrey was clueless and barely survived

to the next day . Willie was a special bowler , needed to be used in certain situations primarily on humid cloudy afternoons . Dont use him in the morning .

See I am gonna learn ya a few thing about West Indies Cricket ....hahahahaha

Ike

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hello, all. I've just joined the forum, and thought I'd introduce myself. Being a Yank with no background in cricket (see below), I suspect I may not be a 'typical' member of the forum. I may have opinions to share now and then, but mostly I'm here to learn.

I'm a life-long fan of American baseball (my avatar is a picture of my father's cousin, who was a Major League player in the 1920's), and probably first learned of cricket in my high school years (teens). I was intrigued by a game 'like' baseball, but much older and stats going much further back than baseball, which prides itself on the long history of its stats. However, back then with no internet, only 3 TV networks, etc., there was no practical way to follow up on my potential interest.

The next step in my cricket experience came in 1967. I got the opportunity to partcipate in a 'training dig' (archaelology) in Nottinghamshire, England. Near the village of Torksey, for those who know the area well enough. It was three weeks, and one of the professors was a cricket fan, and was interested that a Yank would want to learn about it. He taught me the basic rules (I still have a piece of paper on which he drew the basic defensemen positions). At the end of the dig I was able to see one day of a Test match between England and Pakistan at Trent Bridge (whose history I have only recently learned of).

After that, I had no contact with cricket until I learned (from one of my sons) a few months ago that espn3 was now streaming select cricket matches online. (since then I've also learned about, and use, Wiziwig). For the first time, I can see cricket on a regular basis. Now that I can do so, I've been studying the game seriously, just to try to get a good handle on it. I've read Cricket Explained (Robert Eastway), a very useful introduction, and Major's More that a Game, a very useful book, although a bit tough for a Yank, since Major assumes a lot of knowledge of cricket that we poor Yanks just don't have. I'm in the midst of Tom Smith's current edition of Cricket Umpiring and Scoring (MCC), which is a slow read but very helpful in learning the fine points of the rules. Other books I'm reading are Flannels on the Sward (Jayesh Patel), a history of cricket in the Americas (hard to read because it is, alas, poorly written, but full of info I could find nowhere else), and Trevor Bailey's Improve Your Cricket, a book I picked up in '67 in England, along with the 1967 Wisden. I've ordered the 2013 Wisden and the 150th Anniversary History of Wisden, but those haven't been delivered yet.

My teams: I'm a fan of the Windies, given the uphill battle they had to be accepted in the cricket community, plus their colorful and several truly great players. Also, espn3 shows a lot of their matches. :) I also root for Ireland, because of my own Irish ancestry, on my father's side. Plus it's great that their team reflects the whole country, which so much else in Irish society could learn from! Here's hoping they get Test Status and soon!

I have a couple of introductory questions (if anyone is reading this far, at least--and if so, thank you!). They may already be answered or discussed elsewhere in the forum. If so, please just direct me.

1. In the West Indies Super50 tournament, just concluded, one of the teams was CCC (Combined Colleges and Campuses). They barely got an invite, when the U.S. declined (alas), but they had made the finals in the previous Super50. Anyway, one of their players was 41 years old! So, I wonder, what are the rules for who can play on the CCC team? I've scoured the web, but can't find any information on the rules to be eligible for CCC. Does anyone know?

2. I'm fascinated by the names given to the defensemen positions in cricket. I've learned some from my old diagram from the 60's, from Eastaway, from many online discussions, and especially from listening to commentators during live matches. But there seems to be no uniformity. Here's an example: 3 slips are lined up, side by side, off from the keeper. Then there is a space and another defenseman, and a larger space and one more. I've heard commentators call this 5 slips, 3 slips and 2 gulleys, or 4 slips and a gulley. To me, it seems that most accurate would be 3 slips, a gulley , and a backward point (but I've never heard it described that way). Anyway, is there any place where all the positions and variations in nomenclature are discussed? There's lots of stuff on the web, but none seem comprehensive: they all lack some position names that some other sites list. Some other 'contradictions' I find are between fine leg, deep fine leg, and fine slip; short leg and silly leg, etc. Also, is the term 'cow corner' still in use? I've never heard the term used by live commentators. It's also supposed to be a bad swing to hit a drive to the cow corner, but I've seen a number of boundaries hit there, and there's never been any criticism of the swing, nor mention of 'cow corner' as the location of the drive. Anyway, any direction to a comprehensive discussion of positions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Welcome to the forum Ike:).

If it is cricket knowledge you seek then trust me you have come to the right place. I've been following cricket on and off for over 30 years and considered myself fairly knowledgeable on the game........when I joined here I soon realised how much there was still to learn, especially about its history and past legends.

Just FYI, we have a poster here from Canada who is hell bent on turning cricket into baseball and keeps proposing rule changes to this end. Nothing personal against baseball but we are cricket fanatics and love the game of cricket. You may want to keep any baseball references to a minimum just so that you aren't confused with this other fella:happy:

Here's an example: 3 slips are lined up, side by side, off from the keeper. Then there is a space and another defenseman, and a larger space and one more. I've heard commentators call this 5 slips, 3 slips and 2 gulleys, or 4 slips and a gulley. To me, it seems that most accurate would be 3 slips, a gulley , and a backward point (but I've never heard it described that way).
The key here is how the slips are staggered, on TV it can look like they are in a straight line towards gully but in fact they are behind that position.

This may be of some help to you......Cricket Fielding Positions and Pitch Layout

And these positions are most definitely not "defensemen positions" they are catching men and in there for the purpose of taking wickets not defending runs, so when you see a field set with 3/4 slips and a gully the fielding captain is very much on the attack.

Welcome again to the forum.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hi Ike,

Please take this as a compliment but that is the longest post I have ever made it through - you are a skilled writer and you held my attention to the end. I look forward to your contributions on the forum.

Regarding cow corner - it is called that in club cricket but I have never heard it referred to in an international game. They just don't want to insult the batsman as usually he has placed it there skillfully - while people at my level tend to put it there by default when going for boundaries.

Ike

Cricket Web Staff Member
thank you both for your replies!

First a word about my attitude toward baseball. Yes, I love the game, have followed it for over 60 years now. But I love cricket too, and heaven forbid either one should ever be changed to be more like the other! That said, because I love both games, and they are 'related' to each other (just as football is related to rugby, as I learned in Major's book), I find it fascinating to compare the two games to note the most significant differences, and how those differences make each game unique with often surprising consequences. However, this is a cricket forum, not a cricket and baseball forum (alas, I doubt there is such a beast, though I'd love to participate in it if there were one--but hmm, maybe I could start a thread in off topic here! :D ). There is one cricket baseball question I really want to ask, to settle an argument with one of my sons, maybe I'll do that in off topic (it's about who is the cricketer who corresponds most closely in cricket history to Babe Ruth in baseball history. (My son says Bradford, but I'm sure it's Grace.)

Next, thank you for the insights on positions. I'm still learning proper terminology in cricket in general, and trying to avoid terms that come naturally from baseball. I try to always say batsman, for example, or striker/non-striker, instead of 'hitter', which I believe would sound weird and simply wrong in cricket. So I also try to avoid the term 'fielder', though maybe I'm wrong in that. I thought all players on the cricket field were 'defensemen', but apparently not. What is the proper terminology here? It's important to me, because just a with any language not one's native language, you can make major errors by misunderstanding or misusing a word in the 'language' of cricket. Also thanks for the insight to perspective from watching on TV. I had noticed that myself with regard to the length of the pitch. I know it's 20+ meters, but from the perspective TV always gives (viewed from behind the bowler), it looks so short! Only when they show a side view do you realize the distance the batsmen have to cover to score a run. However, I had not realized a similar problem of perspective applies to evaluating the position of slips and others near them. Following up, is there a position that is ever referred to as 'backward point', or does that position always end up being called a gulley?

Thanks for the link to the field positions as well. I hadn't seen it, and it gives more insights. However, like all the others I've looked at online and in books, it seems incomplete and contradicts other diagrams. Some examples: it shows no position of 'sweeper', at the boundary behind cover and extra cover. Nor does it show a position of long leg (between deep square leg and deep fine leg). It distinguishes between fine leg and deep fine leg, whereas some other diagrams (such as Eastaway's in his book) uses 'fine leg' for what CricketWeb's diagram calls 'deep fine leg'. Also, what about long stop? I've read about this position, but never seen it in any diagram. Maybe it's only used in County cricket (or only school cricket?), but it would still help to have it marked. Maybe I'll start a thread elsewhere about position nomenclature. :)

Thank you for all your comments, Adders.

And likewise, thanks to you, Hurricane. And yes, I do take it as a compliment. Your explanation of cow corner is really helpful, and I now understand why it's not referred to in international competitions. For folks who've grown up with the game, the nuances of school, county, and international cricket are second nature. When one is learning cricket rather like a 'second language', these things are total unknowns until one is enlightened.

Once again, thanks to you both, and I'll try to start posing my further questions from now on in threads in the appropriate places!