• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which was the most painful defeat for India?

Most painful

• Total voters

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Most painful series defeat. And most painful test match defeat.

Trying to keep it relatively recent, say 1990 onwards, imo - 1997 in the West Indies, and Chennai 99 vs Pakistan.

chicane

State Captain
I didn't see WI '97. All others hurt but 2004 vs Aus the worst one for me.

Worst match defeat - '99 Kolkata.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
One of the most important match that changed the history and (probably the outcomes of many matches) of India-Pak Cricket for years was 1986 Australasia cup final where Miandad hit a last ball six off Chetan Sharma. It took us 17 years to get over that mindset over Pak,. IMO it was another 6 by Tendulkar that finally erased that pain (No for me Jadeja's onslaught on Waqar in 96 wasn't enough).

Also, I would have liked the loss to Pak in Chennai Test in 1998/99 as an option, we were so close yet so far. It hurt so much, not because it was a loss against Pak, but because we were so close.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worst match loss was Chennai '99.

Some of our match losses in recent drawn home series have been pretty bad - vs. Pakistan in Bangalore in '05, vs. England in Wankhede '06. Just the crushing inevitability of seeing the batsmen fold under pressure on day 5.

I'll go for S. Africa '06-'07 - it was sickening the way we threw it away against Harris and co. with mind-numbingly craven batting in the third innings, after everything the bowlers had done. That series was there for the taking, really.

Sir Alex

Banned
Worst match loss was Chennai '99.

Some of our match losses in recent drawn home series have been pretty bad - vs. Pakistan in Bangalore in '05, vs. England in Wankhede '06. Just the crushing inevitability of seeing the batsmen fold under pressure on day 5.

I'll go for S. Africa '06-'07 - it was sickening the way we threw it away against Harris and co. with mind-numbingly craven batting in the third innings, after everything the bowlers had done. That series was there for the taking, really.
Wasn't that the match when Tendulkar & Dravid indulged in some of the worst ever batting I've seen from those two. I was almost at the edge of swearing to get these two out because they murdered the momentum of that innings.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The Chennai test was really tough. I was at the stadium that day and what a lousy feeling it was after the match ended. 2008 Australia is another series that could have been one another time. BCCI should learn that India needs a few practice matches before going into a test series.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am surprised that none of the defeats to Pakistan is mentioned. The failure to win even a test match (let alone a series) in Pakistan till 2004 was something that hurt more than anything young Indians today can imagine. The series losses of 78-79 (2-0) and 82-83
(3-0) were very painful indeed.

In more recent times, though the pain was less since the nationalistic fervour had died down, the 1-0 loss in 2005-06 was shocking considering that indian line up included

1. Ganguly
  2. Sehwag
  3. Dravid
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Laxman
  6. Yuvraj
  7. Dhoni
  8. Pathan
  9. Kumble
  10. Harbhajan
  11. Zaheer

besides RP Singh and Ajit Agarkar

This is the cream of India's cricket of the last two decades and we lost to...

1. Salman Butt
  2. Imran Farhat
  3. Younis Khan
  4. Mohammad Younis
  5. Inzamam
  6. Shoaib Malik
  7. Kamran Akmal
  8. Shahid Afridi
  9. Shoaib Malik
  10. Mohammad Asif
  11. Danish Kaneria

besides Sami, Naved, Faisal Iqbal, Abdul Razzaq

A decent side but surely India had one of its strongest sides in the one that went out from here.

But as i said it was less painful than the defeats to Imran's side.

Sir Alex

Banned
Thanks vcs. Now that is what I call a "commentary". Sambit Bal criticized Tendulkar, as rightly that innings deserved that ridicule, but wisely he desisted from making broader conclusions from that or making it a "calling for his head" piece, which Chappelli with all his infinite wisdom erred in. Sambit can get no flak because he offered just his commentary on that particular innings alone.

gvenkat

State Captain
To me the 1986-87 Test series loss to Pakistan rankles me. I was a 10 year old and was gutted when India lost the match.

I was not technically equipped to know the game at that time. However that was heart breaking and when i read later that Gavaskar played a masterful knock the pain increased furhter.

The second has to be the 1999 chennai test. I was in cheapuk and was literally down on my knees after the game. I was standing in the stands long after people had left and a police man came and hushed me away. I gave him a stare that he left me alone. :laugh:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks vcs. Now that is what I call a "commentary". Sambit Bal criticized Tendulkar, as rightly that innings deserved that ridicule, but wisely he desisted from making broader conclusions from that or making it a "calling for his head" piece, which Chappelli with all his infinite wisdom erred in. Sambit can get no flak because he offered just his commentary on that particular innings alone.
Nah, Chappelli made comments that at the time were perfectly reasonable. Your constant tirade on this is not going to change that fact. We've already had this discussion before as well:

I don't know what the exact date was when Chappell had made the comments I just googled it and found a BBC piece on Chappell saying, it's dated 30th of March. If we go by the period 30 March 2004 to 30 March 2007 Tendulkar averages 36.63 in 23 matches. Without Bangladesh that's 28.90 in 21 matches.

Get off his case.
Leave your hero worship at the door, don't hijack this thread.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Just his commentary, huh ? Really ?

"He simply had no intent"

That was the first line of the article, and you call it wise ?

L Trumper

State Regular
Still on the chappell's back mate !!! I thought you finally agreed with others on that one. As far as sambit's article concerned its not one of his great works, not much direction in that article either, seems like "in the moment article" to me.

Chappell don't get flack from any one either, apart from hard core SRT fans who most of the times wanted to believe what they want.

AaronK

State Regular
I am surprised that none of the defeats to Pakistan is mentioned. The failure to win even a test match (let alone a series) in Pakistan till 2004 was something that hurt more than anything young Indians today can imagine. The series losses of 78-79 (2-0) and 82-83
(3-0) were very painful indeed.

In more recent times, though the pain was less since the nationalistic fervour had died down, the 1-0 loss in 2005-06 was shocking considering that indian line up included

1. Ganguly
  2. Sehwag
  3. Dravid
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Laxman
  6. Yuvraj
  7. Dhoni
  8. Pathan
  9. Kumble
  10. Harbhajan
  11. Zaheer

besides RP Singh and Ajit Agarkar

This is the cream of India's cricket of the last two decades and we lost to...

1. Salman Butt
  2. Imran Farhat
  3. Younis Khan
  4. Mohammad Younis
  5. Inzamam
  6. Shoaib Malik
  7. Kamran Akmal
  8. Shahid Afridi
    [*]Shoaib Malik
  9. Mohammad Asif
  10. Danish Kaneria

besides Sami, Naved, Faisal Iqbal, Abdul Razzaq

A decent side but surely India had one of its strongest sides in the one that went out from here.

But as i said it was less painful than the defeats to Imran's side.

Damn to shoaib Maliks lol

assuming that you mean Shoaib akhtar... I don't recall seeing a team like that playing india.. in any format...but looking at the middle order... Younis, Yousuf, Inzi... it seems a very strong team... if we count out the fragile openning pair which against india it has never been fragile considering that Butt loves to bat against them..

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Damn to shoaib Maliks lol

assuming that you mean Shoaib akhtar... I don't recall seeing a team like that playing india.. in any format...but looking at the middle order... Younis, Yousuf, Inzi... it seems a very strong team... if we count out the fragile openning pair which against india it has never been fragile considering that Butt loves to bat against them..
Here are the stats for Pakistan for the 2005-06 series against India played in Pakistan

Code:
[B]Player	Mts	Inns	NO	Runs	HS	100s	50s	Avg	Ca	St[/B]

Younis Khan,	 3	 5	 0	 553	  199	 2	 2	 110.60	 0	 0
Kamran Akmal,	 3	 5	 2	 293	  113	 2	 1	 97.67	 9	 2
Mohammad Yo,	 3	 5	 0	 461	  173	 2	 2	 92.20	 1	 0
Faisal Iqbal,	 1	 2	 0	 144	  139	 1	 0	 72.00	 1	 0
Shahid Afridi,	 3	 5	 0	 330	  156	 2	 1	 66.00	 1	 0
Inzamam-ul-Haq,	 2	 2	 0	 120	  119	 1	 0	 60.00	 0	 0
Abdul Razzaq,	 2	 4	 0	 204	  90	 0	 1	 51.00	 0	 0
Shoaib Akhtar,	 3	 3	 1	 92	  47	 0	 0	 46.00	 0	 0
Imran Farhat,	 1	 2	 0	 79	  57	 0	 1	 39.50	 2	 0
Shoaib Malik,	 2	 2	 0	 78	  59	 0	 1	 39.00	 0	 0
Salman Butt,	 3	 5	 0	 120	  53	 0	 1	 24.00	 0	 0
Naved-ul-Hasan,	 1	 1	 0	 9	  9	 0	 0	 9.00	 0	 0
Mohammad Asif,	 2	 3	 1	 6	  *6	 0	 0	 3.00	 1	 0
Kaneria, D	 3	 3	 1	 0	  *0	 0	 0	 0.00	 1	 0
Mohammad Sami,	 1	 1	 1	 1	  *1	 0	 0	  	 0	 0
This for India in the same series...

Code:
[B]Player	Mts	Inns	NO	Runs	HS	100s	50s	Avg	Ca	St[/B]

Dravid, R	 3	 5	 2	 241	  *128	 2	 0	 80.33	 2	 0
Sehwag, V	 3	 4	 0	 294	  254	 1	 0	 73.50	 1	 0
Dhoni, M S	 3	 3	 0	 179	  148	 1	 0	 59.67	 7	 1
Yuvraj Singh,	 3	 3	 0	 171	  122	 1	 0	 57.00	 4	 0
Laxman, V V S	 3	 5	 2	 138	  90	 0	 1	 46.00	 2	 0
Pathan, I K	 3	 3	 0	 134	  90	 0	 1	 44.67	 0	 0
Harbhajan ,	 2	 1	 0	 38	  38	 0	 0	 38.00	 3	 0
Ganguly, S C	 2	 2	 0	 71	  37	 0	 0	 35.50	 1	 0
Zaheer Khan,	 2	 3	 1	 51	  21	 0	 0	 25.50	 0	 0
Tendulkar, S R	 3	 3	 0	 63	  26	 0	 0	 21.00	 4	 0
Kumble, A	 3	 3	 0	 27	  15	 0	 0	 9.00	 1	 0
Singh Jr, R P	 2	 3	 2	 6	  6	 0	 0	 6.00	 0	 0
Agarkar, A B	 1	 0	 0	 0	  	 0	 0	  	 0
I never said the Pakistani side was useless, just that the Indian side was one of the best balanced to visit Pakistan from India. I am afraid if you want me to get into a debate over which of the two sides appears stronger, I am not interested. You will have to excuse me on that. :)