• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CHICAGO - Anyone home !

Xuhaib

International Coach
Desi food = food from Pakistan?

If so, this just reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Jerry convinces Babu to turn his restaurant into a Pakistani restaurant.
desi food = indian, pakistani and bangali(?) food.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Desi food = food from Pakistan?

If so, this just reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Jerry convinces Babu to turn his restaurant into a Pakistani restaurant.
desi food = indian, pakistani and bangali(?) food.
Yeah, like Xuhaib stated desi food generally means food from India, Pakistan, or Bangladesh. Though it is harder to find Bangladeshi food (or perhaps I'm not looking hard enough).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, like Xuhaib stated desi food generally means food from India, Pakistan, or Bangladesh. Though it is harder to find Bangladeshi food (or perhaps I'm not looking hard enough).
Jackson Heights there are plenty of Bangladeshi Restaurants.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Have always thought desi just to mean from the subcontinent myself.
You are correct that “desi” in a broad term refers to people from the subcontinent. I could be completely off in saying this, and if so I apologize in advance, but I always got the sense that generally people from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh more readily identify with the term “desi” then people from Sri Lanka for example. Also, since the food from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh is easier to find than any other from the subcontinent, I generally identify “desi food” as food from those countries.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
North Indians and Pakistani (Hindi/Urdu Speaking Population) = Desi

Bangladeshis and people from Eastern Part of India (Bangla speaking )= Bengalis

South Indians and Tamil speaking folks from SL = South Indian

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
It was delightful to meet SJS and his family. He has my many thanks for being so flexible around my schedule and putting up with my indecisiveness regarding the times. On top of which I was a little late due to my birthday party with family earlier in the day.

We met at Sabri Nihari around 5:30pm where Mr and Mrs SJS were waiting for me and we ordered food right away. We got to know each other a bit better while chowing down on some delicious food. I offered to give them a ride home which I'm sure they regretted accepting as my car was an absolutely mess. At entering the backseat Mrs SJS asked me if the birthday party took place back there! :laugh:

We had a great conversation about Pakistani cricket and its dramas on the way to his son's beautiful home, where we talked about CW and CC in particular, and I gave him the skinny on PC while being showered with kisses from their incredibly friendly dog Tank Singh. He should be heading back home today so hoping for a safe flight. :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Was it awkward when you first met. I've never met someone through the internet myself.

Did SJS have a little sign saying nightprowler10 on the table just to make sure you got the right people.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
He was holding a rose. :ph34r:

I've seen enough pictures to know what he looked like. It was both our first times meeting somebody from here but it probably would've been awkward if it weren't someone as friendly as him. We started talking as if we already knew each other. The only time I got close to meeting another person from here was when I was in London and missed sledger by a day.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Great to hear you guys had a fabulous meetup.

I have talked with a few cricketwebbers on the phone and they all seem very friendly to me. We strike a good chord straight away.

chicane

State Captain
North Indians and Pakistani (Hindi/Urdu Speaking Population) = Desi

Bangladeshis and people from Eastern Part of India (Bangla speaking )= Bengalis

South Indians and Tamil speaking folks from SL = South Indian
Have always thought desi (desh=country) relates to all people from those countries. At least in my experience its used that way, and used even for Sri Lankans.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. SJS, let me know next time you are at Chicago. I am hoping to be at Columbus, Indiana (heard it is not too far from Chicago) by this monthend. And would love to be able to meet up with you over there.. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. SJS, let me know next time you are at Chicago. I am hoping to be at Columbus, Indiana (heard it is not too far from Chicago) by this monthend. And would love to be able to meet up with you over there.. :)

Craig

World Traveller
Was it awkward when you first met. I've never met someone through the internet myself.

Did SJS have a little sign saying nightprowler10 on the table just to make sure you got the right people.
I have met a few people from this site, and I would say no. Usually we just make a time and a location, and I will try and give them some description of me (like I will be wearing a blue hat) so they can pick me out, or I can pick them out. If I have some idea what they look like then it helps.

Craig

World Traveller
So excited you had to tell us twice? :ph34r: