• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hardest ever player

The_roc

U19 Captain
Just been watching some old footage of Brian Close facing Andy Roberts (pre helmet days). He was hit numerous times, never flinched, just carried on playing with a small plaster on his elbow.

Was he the hardest man ever to play the game?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly very probably the player who made most of a show out of being a hardman.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just been watching some old footage of Brian Close facing Andy Roberts (pre helmet days). He was hit numerous times, never flinched, just carried on playing with a small plaster on his elbow.

Was he the hardest man ever to play the game?
He's certainly up there - as is Jardine in the "however hard you hit me I won't flinch" stakes

Bill Voce was a hard man too - he was Harold Larwood's minder when they went out drinking - I read somewhere that his party trick was tearing telephone directories in half

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Who was the bloke in the 19th century whose padless legs were black and blue after one innings and almost had to suffer an amputation as a result? Sounds pd hard to me.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Alfred Mynn
Thank you - that's the one.

The other Englishman in recent time who was supposed to be hard as nails was Peter Willey. Mind you, when you heard about Australians going swimming with crocodiles (Hayden?) or Saffers mixing it with armed muggers (Hall?) then we're a bunch of blouses in comparison.

Last edited:

Dano.85

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Justin langer was pretty tough, he has taken some heavy knocks but has always came back fighting.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Alfred Mynn
Heard the name before and have a book which talks about him among other cricketers. Will try to read up more online and in the book.

Also, would like to say you are one of the most knowledgeable posters on the forum.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Maybe not the hardest ever, but The Bank Clerk Who Went to War™ is deserving of a mention at least. Stood up to Lillian Thomson at her impressive best and won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year as a result.

Hard to go past Close tho; fella was clearly borderline pathological from some of the stories related in fred's recent trilogy on the great man.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thanks mate. I do read the cricket books section regularly but I should be reading more of the main site. The quality is usually excellent. I don't feel sleepy and will wake the night out and am waiting for the Oscars to start in a few hours. This should be delicious reading.

Sir Alex

Banned
From the Wisden report on 4th Test Match of the 82/83 series at Bridgetown:

At Bridgetown, April 15, 16, 17, 19, 20. West Indies won by ten wickets, their fourth victory in five Tests against India at the ground, the other being drawn. On a fast, true pitch, with encouraging bounce for their fast bowlers, they encountered defiant opposition from only one Indian batsman, the magnificent Amarnath. While his team-mates capitulated to a diet of short-pitched bowling, which later brought complaints of intimidation from the Indian manager and captain, Amarnath, batting for a combined total of six and a half hours, met the challenge with courage, hooking with certainty, despite a blow on the mouth which caused his temporary retirement in the second innings.

Unseasonal rain delayed the start until half an hour before lunch on the first day and then another torrential downpour during the interval prevented any further play. By then, India had been sent in and were 13 for the loss of their opening batsmen. Amarnath led a recovery on the second day, hooking Roberts, Holding and Garner for 6s in the first session, but after he and Kapil Dev fell to successive deliveries from Marshall, India's 172 for four became 209 all out.

Wisden - WEST INDIES v INDIA 1982-83

He averaged 66.44 in that series with 598 runs. The next best scorer for India was Vengsarkar with 279 runs @ 30

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Mohinder Amarnath ,is thought to have been very courageous.

So too was Mansour ali Khan Pataudi. Playing test cricket after losing one eye.