• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tests: Chappell vs. Ponting

Who is better in Tests?

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's interesting how little (relatively) respect Greg Chappell gets

I found it laughable that the some of the Indian team (apparently) wouldnt listen to him when he was coach

Chappell GS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (sorry, got sick of pressing the > button) than any Indian player other than Tendy and even then it's a >

IMO, he's better than Ponting AND Tendy but slightly behind IVA and well behind Bradman

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

I found it laughable that the some of the Indian team (apparently) wouldnt listen to him when he was coach

Chappell GS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (sorry, got sick of pressing the > button) than any Indian playcer other than Tendy and even then it's a >

IMO, he's better than Ponting AND Tendy but slightly behind IVA and well behind Bradman
Ian Healy is obviously a great commentator. Chappell is by far the worst coach I have seen.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And I don't know who said he doesn't get respect, I've consistently rated him as the second best Aussie batsman, above guys like Ponting, and often higher than guys like Tendulkar, from the very beginning. And most students of the game also probably have him right up there.

Again, that doesn't mean you're a good coach.

gwo

U19 Debutant
A few years back when Ponting was going great guns it was on track for Ponting > GS Chappell.

It's pretty clear the Australian pecking of order is something like this:

Bradman
GS Chappell
Ponting
S Waugh

*insert V Trumper and A Border as you see fit anywhere below Bradman and the bottom of that list*

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You could have made your point without the above, but then again you would not be the idiot you are.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know what Chappell was doing with the Indian team but individual and team performances dipped considerably under him and improved markedly when he resigned. The "Guru Greg" media circus and the Ganguly email controversy did not help either. I think he was very poorly advised in the PR department, he should have taken Wright's cue and kept a low-key profile.

As a batsman, well, he was before my time so I can't really comment. From my experience of reading numerous "Who was greater, X or Y?" debates in cricket and other sports, I have found that these discussions get ugly as soon as they descend into stat nit-picking and point-scoring at the expense of running down the "rival" of your favourite player. The only reason I still like these arguments is because there is usually something interesting I can learn about players that I never had the chance to watch, and how they contributed to cricket history. An interesting discussion usually ends up highlighting the positives of the players under comparison, and not the negatives.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think either are underrated on this forum.

Though i voted for Chappell,i ahve to say there is a tendency to overrate him due to the world series cricket.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Chappell GS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (sorry, got sick of pressing the > button) than any Indian player other than Tendy and even then it's a >

Why bring Indian players into it?
But now that you have ,do not think he is that much better than Dravid too,and is not better than Gavaskar as a test batsman.

And btw,it was his big ego that caused clashes and disharmony within the Indian team.He somehow thought that because he was a great player every one should follow exactly what he says.And he refused to acknowledge that others know their own game better.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
You could have made your point without the above, but then again you would not be the idiot you are.
Far out Sanz, another prime example of what we're trying to cut out across Cricket Chat and it continues, that again from a member who should know better.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Both underrated on this forum.
Not really. I've come to distaste the "under\over-rated on CW" phrase really - it's more based on personal taste than anything concrete.

Either way, Chappellg > Ponting, I've said that all along and am extraordinarily unlikely to be changing my tune any time soon.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
chappell easily...i would have at least border and possibly waugh ahead of ponting so it is not really a fair comparison...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's perfectly entitled to make that point in a thread about Chappell, your response is totally unreasonable.

Edit: I see James has already pulled you up on this

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
He's perfectly entitled to make that point in a thread about Chappell, your response is totally unreasonable.

Edit: I see James has already pulled you up on this
Scathing!

And this thread will end badly
Now that is scathing. That picture has more impact (on me) than James's warning. Please have mercy and take that picture off, otherwise I will lose my sleep. I realized my mistake. Please have mercy.

Zinzan, Social was entitled to his opinion on Greg Chappell but he used another opportunity to have a go at Indian Cricketers. In any case, I accept I overreacted and my apologies to Social.

Last edited: