Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Who is better in Tests?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • GS Chappell

27 71.05%
  • RT Ponting

11 28.95%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tests: Chappell vs. Ponting

Tests: Chappell vs. Ponting

Both underrated on this forum.

Chappell Ponting
    Last edited by Maximus0723; 06-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Chappell - Second greatest Australian batsman ever.

It's interesting how little (relatively) respect Greg Chappell gets

I found it laughable that the some of the Indian team (apparently) wouldnt listen to him when he was coach

Chappell GS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (sorry, got sick of pressing the > button) than any Indian player other than Tendy and even then it's a >

IMO, he's better than Ponting AND Tendy but slightly behind IVA and well behind Bradman

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well, being a great batsman (which he clearly was) does not make you a good coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post

I found it laughable that the some of the Indian team (apparently) wouldnt listen to him when he was coach

Chappell GS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (sorry, got sick of pressing the > button) than any Indian playcer other than Tendy and even then it's a >

IMO, he's better than Ponting AND Tendy but slightly behind IVA and well behind Bradman
    Ian Healy is obviously a great commentator. Chappell is by far the worst coach I have seen.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    And I don't know who said he doesn't get respect, I've consistently rated him as the second best Aussie batsman, above guys like Ponting, and often higher than guys like Tendulkar, from the very beginning. And most students of the game also probably have him right up there.

Again, that doesn't mean you're a good coach.

Another Tendulkar thread fellas ?

gwo
    U19 Debutant
    A few years back when Ponting was going great guns it was on track for Ponting > GS Chappell.

It's pretty clear the Australian pecking of order is something like this:

Bradman
    GS Chappell
    Ponting
    S Waugh

*insert V Trumper and A Border as you see fit anywhere below Bradman and the bottom of that list*

You could have made your point without the above, but then again you would not be the idiot you are.

vcs
    I don't know what Chappell was doing with the Indian team but individual and team performances dipped considerably under him and improved markedly when he resigned. The "Guru Greg" media circus and the Ganguly email controversy did not help either. I think he was very poorly advised in the PR department, he should have taken Wright's cue and kept a low-key profile.

As a batsman, well, he was before my time so I can't really comment. From my experience of reading numerous "Who was greater, X or Y?" debates in cricket and other sports, I have found that these discussions get ugly as soon as they descend into stat nit-picking and point-scoring at the expense of running down the "rival" of your favourite player. The only reason I still like these arguments is because there is usually something interesting I can learn about players that I never had the chance to watch, and how they contributed to cricket history. An interesting discussion usually ends up highlighting the positives of the players under comparison, and not the negatives.

Simon Champion!
    I don't think either are underrated on this forum.

Though i voted for Chappell,i ahve to say there is a tendency to overrate him due to the world series cricket.
    Last edited by Cevno; 06-03-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Simon Champion!

Chappell GS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (sorry, got sick of pressing the > button) than any Indian player other than Tendy and even then it's a >

Why bring Indian players into it?
    But now that you have ,do not think he is that much better than Dravid too,and is not better than Gavaskar as a test batsman.

And btw,it was his big ego that caused clashes and disharmony within the Indian team.He somehow thought that because he was a great player every one should follow exactly what he says.And he refused to acknowledge that others know their own game better.
    Last edited by Cevno; 06-03-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    You could have made your point without the above, but then again you would not be the idiot you are.
    Far out Sanz, another prime example of what we're trying to cut out across Cricket Chat and it continues, that again from a member who should know better.
    Last edited by James; 06-03-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus0723 View Post
    Both underrated on this forum.
    Not really. I've come to distaste the "under\over-rated on CW" phrase really - it's more based on personal taste than anything concrete.

Either way, Chappellg > Ponting, I've said that all along and am extraordinarily unlikely to be changing my tune any time soon.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

chappell easily...i would have at least border and possibly waugh ahead of ponting so it is not really a fair comparison...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information