• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tests: Chappell vs. Ponting

Who is better in Tests?

• Total voters

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Now that is scathing. That picture has more impact (on me) than James's warning. Please have mercy and take that picture off, otherwise I will lose my sleep. I realized my mistake. Please have mercy.
I think the picture should remain as a permanent reminder not to overstep the line here at CW

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
It's funny that Chappell gets rated ahead of Ponting merely because he smashed around the Windies bowlers in an unofficial series, but yet failed against them in Test Match Cricket. However, Pietersen doesn't get the same treatment after smashing around Warne and McGrath and is rated way below Sangakkara who failed miserably against McGrath and Warne.

JBH001

International Regular
It's funny that Chappell gets rated ahead of Ponting merely because he smashed around the Windies bowlers in an unofficial series, but yet failed against them in Test Match Cricket. However, Pietersen doesn't get the same treatment after smashing around Warne and McGrath and is rated way below Sangakkara who failed miserably against McGrath and Warne.
Er...what? Chappell averages 56 against the WI in test match cricket with 5 hundreds.

Maximus0723

State Regular

vs. a team stat isn't the most important stat.

and what's the sample size?

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Er...what? Chappell averages 56 against the WI in test match cricket with 5 hundreds.
Averaged 29 against the 4 man WI pace attack. Scored heavily before the WI's pace attack became a real force in the early-mid 1970's.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A few years back when Ponting was going great guns it was on track for Ponting > GS Chappell.
Not really.

I don't intentionally mean to shoot Ponting down, but he's scored the majority of his runs in an era that has been easy for batting against weak attacks. Chappell scored hard runs against great attacks - see the WSC SuperSeries vs West Indies.

JBH001

International Regular
Can you do a breakdown of that in terms of hundreds and fifites versus attacks faced? I know his first series with the WI was against a comparatively poor attack, but subsequent to that he had good series' against them bar for his last one. I am not thinking of his Super Series record against them, btw.

Also, I have to say, I find the argument that his worth as a batsman comes into question because he "failed" against 4 all time pacers a bit hard to stomach. I mean what kind of standard is being held here? Are the only times we are going to rate a batsman is if he scored a hundred before lunch against 4 all time pacers on a green top? A bit of an exaggeration, I confess, but I trust you get my point. The same sort of reasoning seems to be applying to Gavaskar too. After all, for instance, what world class pace bowlers did Bradman face? Only an old Tate and a young Bedser and a coltish Ken Farnes. Only a spinner, Verity, was faced at the prime of his abilities in an era of high scores. Yet no-one, and rightly, detracts from his record because of that - and not because his record is just so gargantuan either.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Chappell's greatest test series was arguably against the West Indian attack of 1975/76.

Just how good was that attack, is the question?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Chappell for me. Best Australian batsman ever, bar Bradman. What he did against some of the best bowling attacks ever was remarkable, and his test record leaves out some of his most productive years, when he played WSC.

Not really much of a knock on Ponting though..

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really. I've come to distaste the "under\over-rated on CW" phrase really - it's more based on personal taste than anything concrete.

Either way, Chappellg > Ponting, I've said that all along and am extraordinarily unlikely to be changing my tune any time soon.
Certainly in the case of Ponting, as we well know a good number of people think is underated and plenty of overs think he is overated, wish we would just let it rest and say he is a great batsman (will now wait for you to tell me he is just a very good one)

Chappell does not seem to get mentioned as much as other greats, not sure why this is or if it is just an impression I get.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Certainly in the case of Ponting, as we well know a good number of people think is underated and plenty of overs think he is overated, wish we would just let it rest and say he is a great batsman (will now wait for you to tell me he is just a very good one)

Chappell does not seem to get mentioned as much as other greats, not sure why this is or if it is just an impression I get.
Maybe because not many people have seen him bat. I have never seen him bat and hence can't speak about this.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Can you do a breakdown of that in terms of hundreds and fifites versus attacks faced? I know his first series with the WI was against a comparatively poor attack, but subsequent to that he had good series' against them bar for his last one. I am not thinking of his Super Series record against them, btw.

Also, I have to say, I find the argument that his worth as a batsman comes into question because he "failed" against 4 all time pacers a bit hard to stomach. I mean what kind of standard is being held here? Are the only times we are going to rate a batsman is if he scored a hundred before lunch against 4 all time pacers on a green top? A bit of an exaggeration, I confess, but I trust you get my point. The same sort of reasoning seems to be applying to Gavaskar too. After all, for instance, what world class pace bowlers did Bradman face? Only an old Tate and a young Bedser and a coltish Ken Farnes. Only a spinner, Verity, was faced at the prime of his abilities in an era of high scores. Yet no-one, and rightly, detracts from his record because of that - and not because his record is just so gargantuan either.
I'm by no means trying to put Chappell down in anyway, shape or form. I'm just stating the facts, that he shouldn't be rated ahead of Ponting merely on the basis that he succeeded against the great Windies attack (which if you look closer, he didn't do much better then any other batsman from that era against the stronger Windies sides).

Given that the only real difference to the bowling standards that Chappell had to face compared to Ponting is the great Windies attack (which Chappell only faced at the latter end of his career); Ponting has a higher overall batting average, averages 47+ against all Test playing nations and will most likely end his career with double the amount of Tests then Chappell with a higher overall average. That should be enough to give Punter the slight edge.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe because not many people have seen him bat. I have never seen him bat and hence can't speak about this.
Yeah but I get the impression that people such as Sobers, Gavaskar, Richards etc get talked about more frequently.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why bring Indian players into it?
But now that you have ,do not think he is that much better than Dravid too,and is not better than Gavaskar as a test batsman.

And btw,it was his big ego that caused clashes and disharmony within the Indian team.He somehow thought that because he was a great player every one should follow exactly what he says.And he refused to acknowledge that others know their own game better.
Rahul Dravid is a very fine player and one I really love watching.

He's not in Chappell's class as a batsman imo. I'd have Chappell over Ponting too ftr. In fact, I'd have him over most batsmen I've ever seen, with the possible exception of Richards. Was every bit the player Lara and Tendulkar are/ were too. The bloke was a master batsman.

Also should say I can't think of many truly great batsman who were as tall or taller than GSC. What a player he was.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's interesting how little (relatively) respect Greg Chappell gets

I found it laughable that the some of the Indian team (apparently) wouldnt listen to him when he was coach

Chappell GS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (sorry, got sick of pressing the > button) than any Indian player other than Tendy and even then it's a >

IMO, he's better than Ponting AND Tendy but slightly behind IVA and well behind Bradman
Lol, awesome way to draw a bow to have a shot at the indian cricket team.

Chappell couldn't handle the cultural and political differences in India. John Wright and Kirsten could. Doesn't make Chappell any less a batsman.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Averaged 29 against the 4 man WI pace attack. Scored heavily before the WI's pace attack became a real force in the early-mid 1970's.
Which includes one summer where he made 7 ducks pretty much in a row, in all forms of the game at international level. Was in horrible form that summer.

I recall being at the SCG when he came out to bat and Colin Croft getting him first ball caught behind to an unbelievable ball that came in before seaming massively away.