• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good news for Uk cricket fans, ITV bags IPL rights in UK

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Great news, T20 is a perfect fit for free-to-air TV. More fool the ECB for not getting some English domestic T20 out there.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Makes sense what with it being free on YouTube.

I still expect it'll shift over to the likes of Sky after a few seasons, once the audience and whatnot is built up. But it's certainly a damn sight better than friggin daytime TV in the meantime.

Dano.85

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Recipe for disaster imo. Can't remember the last time ITV did justice to a sporting event.
I am a big fan of british touring cars witch is show on itv 4 and i think itv do a cracking job on the coverage, the fa cup this season has been good aswell. The boxing when on is also very good. Thats 3 good sport coverage i can think of off the top of my head. At least itv are showing an intrest in bring cricket back to free to view, i would have a bet that this ipl gets more people viewing then the 09 ashes due to it being more avaliable to more people.

Dano.85

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would doubt that, seeing as most of the matches are on when people are at work.
Maybe the mid week ones will be at a push but the weekend ones may well push skys poor ashes viewing figures. Dont forget the uk has alot of asian people living here now. Imo it would be a shock if the viewing figures are less over the course of itv's ipl coverage then skys viewing figures where over the course of the 5 test's of the ashes, dont forget test match special had more listeners then sky had viewers for the 09 ashes. Some thing i just found out skys highest ever viewing figures where 1.5 million in a world cup 20/20 match england vs india.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Damn you brits, you get to have your own commentators.:(
Won't be quite as exciting a prospect if one of those commentators roped in is Ronnie Irani. His work with Setanta for the last IPL was some of the worst punditry I've heard for any sporting event. Dire doesn't even begin to sum it up.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Being ITV the commentary will be direst of the dire, but joke firmly on everyone else who will continue having to hear about DLF Maximum sixes and Citi moments of success.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Can cheap and sickly confectionery be turned into plastic? If so ITV will manage it.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Was actually thinking they'll probably bring in the likes of Irani and Gough from Talk Sh*te for the studio segments.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I obviously couldn't care less about the IPL as with all Twenty20, but I don't think having something which has some resemblence to cricket on FTA UK TV can really do any harm. Whether it does any good remains to be seen.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What time are games likely to be on?

Absolutely genius move by the IPL to sell the rights to a free to air broadcaster btw.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Being ITV the commentary will be direst of the dire, but joke firmly on everyone else who will continue having to hear about DLF Maximum sixes and Citi moments of success.
Reported for not sticking to the rules, tbh.. It is "DLF Maximum".. Six is an obsolete word in IPL.. :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Will they be using their own commentary? Would have thought that they'd just use the feed, and have someone in England doing the presenting, like we have here.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Will they be using their own commentary? Would have thought that they'd just use the feed, and have someone in England doing the presenting, like we have here.
I would have thought so. Once they've bought the rights, the actual production costs must be minimal. Just need to pay a couple of ex-pros to sit in a studio for a couple of hours a day.