Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test cricket under lights?

vcs

Test cricket under lights?

Hi all,

I am an Indian cricket fan and I have been reading this forum for a while now. I always lurk here during Test/ODI series to read the humorous and knowledgeable contributions of the members here. This is my first thread, so please go easy on me.

I came across an interesting article by cricinfo journalist/blogger Dileep Premachandran ( Sachin Tendulkar's words about the value of Test cricket given new light | Dileep Premachandran | Sport | guardian.co.uk ) saying that Lalit Modi suggests that Test cricket attendances/viewership in India are waning because people are unable to watch day sessions due to work, and the best way to fix this is to make it day/night sessions. I would like to hear what people think of this idea. How would the use of a white ball affect the game? Would the dew make it impossible for spinners to make an impact? Would the early morning assistance that the fast bowlers get on the first day of a Test match be replaced by swing later in the day under the lights? Personally, I love Test cricket as it is, but I have to admit I'd be curious to see how something like this works out. People always hark back to how World Series Cricket revolutionized the game (positively or negatively is a discussion for another day) with day/night cricket, coloured clothing, aggressive marketing and other innovations and maybe something like this could give Test cricket a much needed boost?

Banned
    I think he is right test matches under light it will be very intresting

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    I would like to see it too, if they can overcome problems with the ball/lights. I find it annoying that I can watch a lot more live overseas test cricket than I can English test cricket.

I think all the trials have been quite negative, so it's not looking great at this stage from a practical pov.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    I think all the trials have been quite negative, so it's not looking great at this stage from a practical pov.
    Disappointing. How awesome would a thrilling test match be at night at the Mc G or the SCG
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

I like it from the standpoint that it would make batting much more tougher. Could lead to a better balance between bat and ball.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

The biggest farce has been to offer Lights to batsmen in stadiums where they have Flood Lights. I am against Day/Night Test matches and I dont think players would want to play 5 nights in a row.

Besides it is a huge waste of energy for a country like India where 90 % of the population do not have proper power.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Haha, seriously? You're going to bring that into it? Half the ODIs are day/night, as is most of IPL.

Frankly, I don't really care about the ball. They'll deal with it. It's such a huge thing for the sport that you can't wait for things to be perfect before you start. They'll work out the kinks once they start playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Instinctively I'm anti, but I don't much like change, me. Pretty sure I'd have been up in arms about covered pitches 40 years ago too.

I think the real politik of the situation is that it will happen once the ball probs have been sorted out. However, I don't suppose it will be possible everywhere because of the dew.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Instinctively I'm anti, but I don't much like change, me. Pretty sure I'd have been up in arms about covered pitches 40 years ago too.

I think the real politik of the situation is that it will happen once the ball probs have been sorted out. However, I don't suppose it will be possible everywhere because of the dew.
    my sentiments more or less verbatim

Doubt can only be removed by action.

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    Doubt can only be removed by action.
    I'm not so sure.

D/N's on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the test, weekends back to day.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    D/N's on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the test, weekends back to day.
    players union would never allow for a mix of d/n and day tests.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Frankly, I don't really care about the ball. They'll deal with it. It's such a huge thing for the sport that you can't wait for things to be perfect before you start. They'll work out the kinks once they start playing.
    Yes.

Personally the biggest reason why D/N Shield matches failed the first time had little to do with the ball. The players bitched a bit but, really, only a few more people went than would have during the day.

The conspiratorialist in me wonders about the most recent ball issues and whether it's being set up to fail a bit. The players have said the pink rubs off to reveal the white ball underneath. Why are they just painting over an already painted surface? If not for untoward reasons, that's pretty bloody shoddy.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information