Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 73

Thread: Test cricket under lights?

  1. #31
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    England has absolutely no need whatsoever of day\night Tests, so the problem of dew in England should not be the remotest of debars.
    No need because crowds are fine but it would still be awesome for the average cricket fan
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  2. #32
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,746
    I'm for it - sport IMO looks better under lights.

  3. #33
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    England has absolutely no need whatsoever of day\night Tests, so the problem of dew in England should not be the remotest of debars.
    TV viewership might be improved if instead of 11-6, Tests were played from 2-9 or 3-10.

    It wouldn't be proper day-night either, on a good day you'd only really need the lights after 8pm.

  4. #34
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Day test cricket is becoming more and more less practical. This was seen by the recent crowd figures at Eden Gardens which were roughly 25% of stadium capacity. Day-Night cricket is a question of when and not if. I would love to go to a match 5.30 PM in the evening and enjoy a contest till 10.30 in the night. Would be awesome.


  5. #35
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,746
    There's no guarantee it will pull in the crowds, but how anyone could be opposed to the spectacle of India playing to a packed Eden Gardens under lights is beyond me.

  6. #36
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,656
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I find it funny how people who talk about Test cricket being the purest form of the game, are looking to alter the game for commercial reasons..
    No, altering the game would be introducing power plays. Moving it a few hours later is not altering the game. It's allowing people who want to watch cricket to actually go and watch the game. It makes zero sense why anyone would ever think that it's a bad thing. I find it odd that there's even a debate about things like that, or putting players names on back of shirts, and things like that. I just don't get the other side.

    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Plus the fact that the complaints at the moment are symptoms that would lead to a less entertaining spectacle in the first place; with soft balls that don't bounce, come off the bat with any pace
    Necessity is the mother of invention. Try it out, and I guarantee within a year, they'll have it sorted. Right now it just seems like a complete cop-out excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  7. #37
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    No, altering the game would be introducing power plays. Moving it a few hours later is not altering the game. It's allowing people who want to watch cricket to actually go and watch the game. It makes zero sense why anyone would ever think that it's a bad thing. I find it odd that there's even a debate about things like that, or putting players names on back of shirts, and things like that. I just don't get the other side.



    Necessity is the mother of invention. Try it out, and I guarantee within a year, they'll have it sorted. Right now it just seems like a complete cop-out excuse.
    eh? That's ridiculous. You do proper testing first, like any product. I reckon I've been pushing for this more than anyone on the forum but introducing it before it's ready could lead to a disaster and potentially killing all support for the idea within cricket admin circles.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  8. #38
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,746
    They should be trying it out in the Intercontinental Cup.

  9. #39
    International Coach duffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So appalled...
    Posts
    11,451
    Dew factor in India will be ridiculous. If they can actually find a way to properly deal with it then day/night Tests would be awesome there. Oh and the balls too.

  10. #40
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Dew factor in India will be ridiculous. If they can actually find a way to properly deal with it then day/night Tests would be awesome there. Oh and the balls too.
    There are ways to counter the dew now. They use some modern technology nowadays. Don't remember exactly what.

  11. #41
    International Coach duffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So appalled...
    Posts
    11,451
    Didn't exactly work well during the SA series (they mentioned the spraying of the ground which was meant to inhibit the buildup but there was still substantial dew there). Not good enough imo. Would hate to see half a Test match with bowlers struggling to even grip the ball.

  12. #42
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,656
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    eh? That's ridiculous. You do proper testing first, like any product. I reckon I've been pushing for this more than anyone on the forum but introducing it before it's ready could lead to a disaster and potentially killing all support for the idea within cricket admin circles.
    Oh yea, I didn't mean introduce it at the highest level first. I meant start holding a few FC tourneys under lights.

  13. #43
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    I would like to see Tests untouched. They still are very interesting as it is....just need to make some "just" pitches.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

  14. #44
    International Coach duffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So appalled...
    Posts
    11,451
    Think Faisal's nailed it there. Pitches are the biggest problem wrt to Test matches and the need for TV companies to have a full 5 days to broadcast. Very tricky situation to get around.

  15. #45
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,746
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Think Faisal's nailed it there. Pitches are the biggest problem wrt to Test matches and the need for TV companies to have a full 5 days to broadcast. Very tricky situation to get around.
    I would presume the TV audience for a sports event at 7pm on a weeknight is bigger than at noon on the same day.

    Sport IMO just looks better when it's played under lights. It's why the European fooball is so special. It's why the IPL should be almost exclusively played at night.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The man who revolutionised cricket
    By C_C in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 15-06-2011, 11:23 PM
  2. Non Test Playing Nations (Fresh Thread)
    By laksh_01 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 07:05 AM
  3. SL Premier League Tournament (Season XIII-XIV)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 216
    Last Post: 16-05-2008, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •